Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WE NEED......  (Read 6853 times)
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »

I unexpectedly worked an ATNO last night. While he's on the air a lot, I can never seem to ever hear V73NS... but alas, the propagation gods were smiling down upon me and I have a new one in the log  Smiley

Wow, 2 unexpected ATNO's in 2 days brings me to 285 worked.. worked Abubaker, 5A1AL last night!  Grin Grin Grin
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 04:22:57 AM »

Here is a proposal to end your boredom - add a bunch more entities:

http://dx-world.net/2013/dxcc-expansion/

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 04:51:18 AM »

Better yet, participate in the IOTA program. There's over 1000 of them, and its here now. In fact the IOTA contest is this weekend. And looking at NG3K it is getting very big. There are many activations this year. A good place to add some DXCC band fills if nothing else. And while many of the entries listed are common, there are some goodies like BV, BY, VR2, etc... Also many non-expedition stations will be active and since everybody can work everybody stumbling on a new one is possible, unless you're above 300 or so.  Grin
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 05:06:36 AM »

Better yet, participate in the IOTA program. There's over 1000 of them, and its here now. In fact the IOTA contest is this weekend. And looking at NG3K it is getting very big. There are many activations this year. A good place to add some DXCC band fills if nothing else. And while many of the entries listed are common, there are some goodies like BV, BY, VR2, etc... Also many non-expedition stations will be active and since everybody can work everybody stumbling on a new one is possible, unless you're above 300 or so.  Grin

BINGO!

I agree completely. The IOTA program is one of a couple goals / awards that look like it would never get boring - and all of the news this year seems to be IOTA entity oriented. In fact, I have seen a bunch of one or two person activations - where people look to have a lot of fun camping on an island and without all of the expense and "hubbub" of DX-peditions costing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It also seems like the rules regarding IOTA are a lot more clear than DXCC. I guess the "controversies" regarding DXCC add a (shall we say "charm") to the program, but some days it gets tiring.  Wink
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:55:28 AM by KY6R » Logged
K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 05:21:03 PM »

Better yet, participate in the IOTA program. There's over 1000 of them, and its here now. In fact the IOTA contest is this weekend. And looking at NG3K it is getting very big. There are many activations this year. A good place to add some DXCC band fills if nothing else. And while many of the entries listed are common, there are some goodies like BV, BY, VR2, etc... Also many non-expedition stations will be active and since everybody can work everybody stumbling on a new one is possible, unless you're above 300 or so.  Grin

BINGO!

I agree completely. The IOTA program is one of a couple goals / awards that look like it would never get boring - and all of the news this year seems to be IOTA entity oriented. In fact, I have seen a bunch of one or two person activations - where people look to have a lot of fun camping on an island and without all of the expense and "hubbub" of DX-peditions costing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It also seems like the rules regarding IOTA are a lot more clear than DXCC. I guess the "controversies" regarding DXCC add a (shall we say "charm") to the program, but some days it gets tiring.  Wink

For me, IOTA is one of the most challenging and exciting DX award programs. Many operators are starting to realize this and each day the IOTA community is more and more growing in popularity. I encourage every active and DX oriented HAM to join IOTA. The excitement and the fun is guaranteed.

73 Dragan K0AP
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 12:18:52 PM »

The only problem with IOTA, and one that has kept me from pursuing any of their awards, is the lack of some kind of automated QSL'ing like LOTW, or accepting already confirmed QSO's on LOTW. For example, I have several IOTA entities that I've confirmed on LOTW. For me to go back and try to get cards for all those contacts is way too much trouble. Perhaps when the sunspot cycle tanks and I have nothing left to do, then I might consider it Smiley

John K7KB
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 01:06:59 PM »

The only problem with IOTA, and one that has kept me from pursuing any of their awards, is the lack of some kind of automated QSL'ing like LOTW, or accepting already confirmed QSO's on LOTW. For example, I have several IOTA entities that I've confirmed on LOTW. For me to go back and try to get cards for all those contacts is way too much trouble. Perhaps when the sunspot cycle tanks and I have nothing left to do, then I might consider it Smiley

John K7KB

That's where the contest tomorrow comes in handy. Because if you turn in your log, any QSO's that match an IOTA log gets you an automatic confirmation in the program. Very similar to LoTW but only for the contest. Supposedly, at some point, LoTW will support the IOTA program. As I've said before, I hope I live long enough to see it.

The DXCC and IOTA programs are a natural match. Looking down the NG3K page of announced DX operations, about 80% of the DXCC counters are also IOTA counters. I hope they can get it worked out. I would think (I could be wrong) it would benefit both award programs bringing in more DXers to both.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 08:05:29 AM »

The IOTA contest was a bust on the high bands but still a lot of fun. Even in past years IOTA I find very few Carribean or SA islands on the high bands, maybe there is some quirk on the rules that makes those less-than-optimal but I would think that would be an ideal place to setup.

Most amazing to me, was how good 40M was on Sunday AM from my QTH in MD. I was hearing Indonesia, China, Taiwan, all very very clearly on 40M CW. Didn't work anything new for DXCC, but wow, it was cool to hear them so well on 40M with just my wire antenna.
K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »

The IOTA contest was a bust on the high bands but still a lot of fun. Even in past years IOTA I find very few Carribean or SA islands on the high bands, maybe there is some quirk on the rules that makes those less-than-optimal but I would think that would be an ideal place to setup.

Most amazing to me, was how good 40M was on Sunday AM from my QTH in MD. I was hearing Indonesia, China, Taiwan, all very very clearly on 40M CW. Didn't work anything new for DXCC, but wow, it was cool to hear them so well on 40M with just my wire antenna.

Extremely poor band conditions in this year's IOTA contest. Unfortunately the Solar flare/wind rampage did the damage. 15m band was pretty much none existent as far as IOTA activity. 20m recovered on Saturday afternoon/evening with some OK signals from EU/AS but nothing spectacular. The highlight for me was working BP0A AS-103 for a new IOTA on 20m CW. It was not easy to bust the EU pileup and only handful of stations from NA managed to get through.

73 Dragan K0AP
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 12:43:42 PM »

Extremely poor band conditions in this year's IOTA contest. Unfortunately the Solar flare/wind rampage did the damage. 15m band was pretty much none existent as far as IOTA activity. 20m recovered on Saturday afternoon/evening with some OK signals from EU/AS but nothing spectacular. The highlight for me was working BP0A AS-103 for a new IOTA on 20m CW. It was not easy to bust the EU pileup and only handful of stations from NA managed to get through.

73 Dragan K0AP

Congrats, Dragon, on the BP0A QSO.

It seems every contest weekend this year has been kind of dreary when it comes to band condx.  The best new ones I could come up with were PQ5M and 4O/UA3RF/p. EU-163 isn't new but I couldn't get the last 2 operations I worked from back in the early 2000's confirmed.
20M is an amazing band, what would we do without it? Right after the contest DV1UD was booming in here. Several JA's were also LOUD this morning on 20.  VK3IO had a great signal on 40 this morning. I didn't look to see his set up, but whatever it is, its working.

I just need 40 more until I reach the 500 IOTA mark.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 12:30:44 AM »

WE NEED......RARE DX.

Actually, I prefer mine MEDIUM WELL!
Signed, Hannibal  OI8M
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 01:21:01 AM by WB6DGN » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: