Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IL, IA, MO, WI, IN - best or larger Hamfests - which ones?  (Read 9822 times)
KB9UMT

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2013, 09:55:33 PM »

GE,
I don't go to too many Hamfests but the few I have gone to other than Peoria Hamfest were not very active both in turn out numbers (<300 Hams) or Commercial Vendors/Dealers....so anyone in IL, IA, MO, WI, IN - what are the best or larger Hamfests - in the Central Region?  I thought Peoria Hamfest would not be the largest but Maybe there are larger ones in the Chicago Area? St. Louis? Indianapolis? Quad Cities?  Those of you that have attended a few in the Central Region might know so your comments welcome and thanks.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »

Princeton, IL at the beginning of June is a pretty good one.

John AF5CC
N9KTW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 12:51:58 PM »

Let us not forget " RADIO EXPO" sponsored by the Chicago FM Club. It is being held this year on September 7, at the Boone County Fairgrounds. The Fairgrounds are located at IL 76, and US 20 in Belvidere IL.

Radio Expo has both an outdoor flea market ("tailgating" is free for the price of an admission ticket), 2 buildings of indoor commercial vendors,and an assortment of forums.

Hope to see you there!

de Howard, N9KTW

KB9UMT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 03:23:53 PM »

John AF5CC,
Thank you for the reply and Princeton, IL Hamfest is one I go to each year but it too is starting to decline on attendance (most all are now though).  It is a nice Hamfest but smaller but I usually enjoy it.  Thanks again.

Howard N9KTW,
Good info and I will have to maybe try the "RADI EXPO" in Chicago instead of Peoria since they are so close together, do you know the number of those that attended the last year or two by chance?  Thank you.

Anyone else in the Central Region?

Thanks
Don KB9UMT
QRP4U2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 07:24:04 PM »

I thought the Peoria Hamfests were pretty good, especially for the tailgaters.

I find the West Liberty Iowa Hamfest, around the first weekend in October, is pretty good as well.

I am usually looking for restoration/homebrew parts and boatanchors so I could care less about the indoor glitter-vendors.

Phil - AC0OB

AC0OB - Where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
K9ZF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 06:05:25 PM »

I can't be of much help, because I haven't gone to the one's out of IN.  But here in Indiana, the Fort Wayne hamfest in November is very nice.  The Indianapolis hamfest was a few weeks ago, and it is a pretty good size fest as well.

Although, size isn't everything.  Here in southern IN, some of my favorite fests are Bedford (IN), Columbus (IN), and Louisville KY.  All relatively small fests, but great atmosphere.   Smiley

Have fun,
Dan

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
former K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Mailing list!

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
The once and future K9ZF /R no budget Rover
 ***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Maili
WD9FMB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 06:29:13 AM »

We continue to make the Peoria Superfest a great 2 day event.....this year we have Riley Hollingsworth, K4ZDH, Retired FCC counsel who will be one of the forum speakers on Saturday.  Rob Orr, Chicago Marathon Ham Radio Support, will speak on the impact of the Boston Marathon bombings and the impact on the Chicago Marathon.  A balloon launch on Sunday morning, testing on Saturday morning will make it a packed 2 day event.   Two buildings of commercial vendors and a large outdoor flea market.

It's the only 2 day hamfest event in Illinois.

Great prizes, hourly drawings and a tower (donated by Rohn Tower) raffle !!

I am on the Superfest Planning committee, and I approved this email !!

Come to the Peoria Superfest, September 21-22 !!

www.w9uvi.org

Fritz
WD9FMB
Peoria County ARES
Peoria Area Amateur Radio Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: