Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with JCC / JCG award  (Read 2155 times)
K0YQ

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2013, 09:29:11 AM »

One of my summer projects is organizing all my JA cards and seeing where I stack up with the JCC/JCG awards.  I am trying to understand why some of the cards show a JCC/JCG number, like for instance #38001, which is the Ehime prefecture, Iyo gun.  In a case like this, I assume the op lives in an (maybe rural) area that is not a defined city.  Do situations and numbers like 38001 mean that this QSO only counts as a gun (JCG), and not for a specific city (JCC)?  I hope that this question makes sense.  I think my confusion is coming from the fact that some of the cards show their number as "JCC/JCG XXXXX", which seems to imply that it would be both JCC and JCG. 

Am I correct in assuming that a JA contact could be either a JCC or a JCG, but not both?

Thanks much for any help.

John / K0YQ
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 02:29:27 AM »

John,

I believe each contact would count for one or the other, but not both.  The way I read the JARL English-language JCG page ( http://www.jarl.or.jp/English/4_Library/A-4-2_Awards/Aw_jcg.htm ), a "gun" is not an administrative region, but an regional collection of towns and villages, and implies that they are areas outside of cities.  I would also assume that there are separate sets of distinct reference codes to tell you to which award to count the Q.

Don, K2DC
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 05:09:49 AM »

John,

I chase the JCC award...

You are correct... either it counts as a JCC (XXXX) or JCG (XXXXX) but not both.

In addition, there are Ku's - (XXXXXX) which are actually cities broken down into smaller entities.  The Tokyo Ku's all count as JCCs - so 100101 thru 100123 all count as individual JCC's, but the other Ku's count only once in their respective city.  For example, you may have more than one 0101XX Ku confirmed for Sapporo, but it only counts as JCC 0101 once.

The Ku's come into play for the AJA award.

There are awards for collecting JCG's also, but there are fewer of them than JCC's.  From Guam, I've confirmed more than 500 JCC's, but have just over 100 JCG's only confirmed.  These awards are highly popular in Japan and there are ops who activate the rarer entities from time to time, usually on 40 and 80m in the evenings.  Easy to chase from here, but not so easy from NA.  Some of these rarer entities generate decent sized pileups of JA callers.

It is a fun award to work on, since the JA's are such great QSLers (as a cultural thing).

If you would like an Excel spreadsheet to help track them, feel free to email me at my QRZ.COM email address and I'll share it with you.  HA1AG gets credit for putting the list together, but I've since updated it with the latest additions and corrections.  It includes all the individual city names which helps when the card has an address but no number listed.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »

Thank you Don and Dave for the replies and I now grok.  I found an old spreadsheet from 7N2UTO on the web, and spent a few hours last night bringing it up to date.  Wish I had seen your offer first, but was a great geography lesson if nothing else.  Not sure if I'm ever going to confirm 100 guns but easily there with the cities already.

May I ask how the deleted entities are handled?  If you worked an entity before the deletion date does it stay in your totals?  Just want to make sure my spreadsheet formulas are wired correctly.

I'd also love to see the ARRL and JARL work together to put some of these awards on LOTW. 

Thank you both again.
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 03:09:07 PM »

John - you are correct.  If you have worked/confirmed the JCC before the deletion date, you can count it. 

I'm just over 500 myself and only get a few new ones in each batch of Buro cards (I get hundreds of JA cards each time).  The first 400 are pretty easy.  There are guys who have worked more than 800 of them... amazing.  Not unlike those at the top of the DXCC listings.

73, Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: