Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STATE QSO PARTIES - CALIFORNIA?  (Read 6695 times)
K7NSW

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:59:04 PM »

I have operated in many Field Days and enjoyed them. In this FORUM I read that state qso parties are a great entry level activity to see if I like contesting.  I am out west in Idaho. I hear that the California QSO Party is a big one. I have noticed there are software logging programs that include many state qso parties. California is usually included. On occasion I tune around the hf bands listening for various state qso parties and often do not hear them. I am close to the west coast and should hear all of the western states on hf, propogation permitting. So, is the California QSO Party big enough that I will probably hear it and have a decent shot at spending a few hours with it? What say ye?
K9RJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 11:18:24 PM »

Absolutely you will hear it! There is always lots of participation. Don't miss it!
Harris K9RJ ARRL LM  NCCC
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 02:36:31 AM »

The CA QSO Party is the biggest state QSO party - you will have no problem finding activity on both phone and  CW. There are only 58 counties and there are usually multiple stations from each county on - you can usually make a sweep, which is always fun. Full info here.

John K3TN
KC7YE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:06:50 AM »

Washington Salmon Run is 9/21-22, worth a look. Lots of activity.
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 09:08:15 AM »

I So, is the California QSO Party big enough that I will probably hear it and have a decent shot at spending a few hours with it? What say ye?

Yes - although being very close to California can make it harder for you on the high bands because of skip distances.

The results and records can be found here:  http://www.cqp.org/

The results from last year are here:  http://www.cqp.org/results/2012/Results-2012.html
They show the scores by state so you can see how others from your area do - in addition you can
look at past years and also the records.

Top scoring stations from out of state make 1000 or more contacts with CA stations during the contest.
Being that you are in a fairly rare state you will be popular with the CA stations - and you should try calling
CQ and running them - you will likely have good success with that - esp on 40 and 20 meters.
It is a fun contest.

George
K5TR
KA7RRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 10:13:05 PM »

im thinking of going to California what is the rarest county in/California
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 08:51:39 AM »

im thinking of going to California what is the rarest county in/California

If you look over the results for various years you can get an idea of the rare ones - some years they
are less rare if there is some one that goes and puts on a big effort from one of them.

Last year I made almost 1300 contacts in the contest and did not work Del Norte county.

In the 2005 event these were the counties that I had 3 contacts or less with:

Glen    3
DelN    1
King    1

George
K5TR
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 01:32:17 PM »

Pennsylvania is also a biggee.
Lots of participation.

From Idaho to PA is an easy shot.
PAQP is the weekend after Califirnia.
K7NSW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 04:03:10 PM »

Thanks for your replies. You have pumped me up!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: