Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About to 'hang it up'...if not for good, for a LONG while  (Read 32517 times)
N4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »

Hi, Will.

You are not alone--I experienced a somewhat similar issue on 2 meters.  I'm sorry this kind of stuff happens when we need more willing hams to keep the hobby going!  There are definitely exclusive clicks on the bands, but not just on 2 meters.  I would listen on a repeater and put out my call, but I was greeted with silence.  One minute later a group would have a QSO on the repeater--I know they heard me!   For the most part, 99% of hams are most friendly and willing to chat.  I mainly stick with HF though.  I can call a CQ and quickly get a response.
Perhaps there are some local 2 meter nets?  You can check-in and at least make your presence known.  Also consider joining a local club--the old timers will get to know you and warm-up a little.

Chris, N4JOY

K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2014, 05:29:06 AM »

Kinda had to laugh at the ask a technical question response......have you listened to any repeater of late?  .

LOL, oh yeah.  I heard a real beauty the other night on the "big" 2 meter repeater freak show here in Indianapolis.  A new kid was asking about power supply capacity for his new mobile radio.  One local dufus told him to just get a 10 amp supply and keep his radio on low power...."you don't need all that power!" he told the new, impressionable and young kid.  Another guy chimed in, and I'm not kidding, with some advice that was barely discernible due to the handheld he was using being powered by a wall wart from Walmart.  The original "Elmer" told the kid to "just divide your power output by 13.8 volts, and that's the size power supply you'll need."   

To the OP.....I can understand anyone's disillusionment, but hang in there and search for those people of true talent and quality....you'll find them, and the hobby will suddenly be much, much more enjoyable.

Good luck.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2014, 12:18:11 PM »

And those DX guys are the worst.  Sometimes I call them over and over and over and they just don't respond to me.  Wink

This may not be due to being a lid.  There may be more QRN and QRM at his location, interference you don't happen to hear.  The QRM's signal may be bouncing off the ionosphere over your head, so you don't hear it, but happens to be hitting the ground at the DX QTH, thus blocking reception of your signal. 

Or it could be due to our having boring callsign prefixes...  Mine (WA2) is undoubtedly super common, and if the DX guy is chasing paper, not useful to him. 
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2014, 05:27:37 AM »

The QRM's signal may be bouncing off the ionosphere over your head, so you don't hear it, but happens to be hitting the ground at the DX QTH, thus blocking reception of your signal.  

Great point.  There are some very big-brained people who have written some outstanding material on those exact topics, KL7AJ being one of them.  Also, there are are some outstanding forums at Dayton every year on DXing, ionosphere/layers, etc.  The information will change your understanding of what makes HF signals propagate and from which direction.  You'll see that things like HF beams, great circle beam heading software, etc are purely academic, especially if your QTH is at a higher latitude.

I'd take this challenge as a learning opportunity and get smart on a very fascinating topic.  The League has some great resources and very smart people to help you.  I'd make that the first step before investing in a tower and HF beam.  
KD0PBO

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2014, 12:19:22 PM »

I agree with a lot of the other guys saying that getting on HF will be your best bet to really meet people interested in talking and meeting new people. If HF was only used by people that personally knew the guy on the other end (like most 2m repeater QSOs), then the HF bands would be quiet. I had a similar problem when I was first licensed, but I also had my young age (I'm in college) that seemed to scare off some of the older guys on 2m. The generation gap added to the "he's a new ham and I'm not sure I want to talk to him much." So for awhile I hung up the 2m mic until I decided to upgrade to General. Even for awhile after that I was "mic shy" and felt like no one wanted to talk to me. Bare in mind too, that I jumped into the hobby on my own with little help from an Elmer, so I didn't have anyone on the other end of the radio that knew me.

After awhile I finally made the plunge and bought a used HF rig, strung up a 40m end fed antenna in the yard, and started TALKING! First started making a few quick contacts with contest and special event stations (you know, the quick "QSL you are 59 also in Missouri. Thanks! 73). Short and quick but a contact none the less. And slowly you start making other contacts where you exchange calls, signal, and station equipment info. Then it grows from there to full blown rag chews.

Slow and steady wins the race. Just because you don't jump in to the hobby over night with a $2000 station and a big fancy 1.5kW signal doesn't mean you are failing.

Bottom line? Be patient and keep throwing out your call on the radio. Eventually, either the regulars are gonna get curious and key up to ask you who you are, or you will throw out your call and bring a newbie out of the wood work.

Good luck
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2014, 10:54:17 AM »

If 2 meters is the band you like, try 2 SSB.  A whole different crew.  BUT, you will need a new radio.
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2014, 07:24:24 AM »

After 57 years of keying the mic . . . . a few thoughts:

It's a great hobby. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

I have found there are more horse's butts than there are horses.

I look at the cup half full, not half empty.

I have found that if I change the way I look at things, the things I look at change.

Life is good . . . . pass it on!

Russ  Cheesy
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: