Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Number 320 At Last! TR8CA  (Read 2408 times)
W6DXO

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »

Guys..

Well, I've been stuck at 319 worked / confirmed for some time now with no ATNO's this year.

In the midst of these doldrums I started stalking Alain, TR8CA, but with little success.  His operating times
were somewhat predictable but very short, and propagation was not always in my favor. 

Worse yet, he did not seem to be that interested in working NA ops.

Today I heard him on 15M SSB at about 15:10UTC.  Maybe I could catch him before work...
He had a pretty good signal and was building, but he was not working any
NA stations  (and he was working simplex..ugh! and 'phone is not my favorite mode..ugh again). 
Then he picked up an East Coast station with a "6" call and asked if he was in California.

We wasn't and said so, but I took this as my chance and started adding "California" after my call. 
After several calls I was getting discouraged but some kind op. said.."Alain, there's a California station calling you"...a few more calls
and then he came back asking for the "Whiskey 6".

A minute later I had #320 in the log!  Just waiting for his LOTW upload so I can submit for my new DXCC sticker.

I'm still smiling!

73 es gud dx de harry, W6DXO
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 01:32:08 PM »

Congrats Harry and great story. I like to read DX stories, especially when they are successful. I know TR is a rough one from 6-land.

Just 20 more to go........ Grin Grin Grin
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 01:57:29 PM »

Congrats and great story.  I'd be smiling too! 

I worked Alain awhile ago when he told the pileup that he was qsying to 75 baud rtty.  I think that everybody kept calling at 45.45 baud except me.   Smiley

Congrats again and who's #321?
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 02:14:27 PM »

Thanks to TR8CA for 3 bands for me in past year, and very quick LOTW confirmations as icing on the cake! Most recent was 30M in middle of my night just a few nights ago.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 04:33:27 PM »

congrats!
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 05:25:11 PM »

I worked TR8CA for the first time this month.  New one for me and he uploaded the next day to LoTW. I would agree, he does not operate at times conducive to NA propagation.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 06:17:15 PM »

Congrats and thanks for sharing.  What else do you need that are tough from the six land?

Jonathan W6GX
W6DXO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 08:24:24 PM »

Congrats and thanks for sharing.  What else do you need that are tough from the six land?

Jonathan W6GX

Thanks Jonathan...

I still need the "usual suspects" hi...Mt. Athos to complete Europe, and Libya, Syria, and Eritrea in Africa, and then it's mostly those entities that just don't get activated like Amsterdam Isl.  I hope to pick up both Amsterdam Isl and Bangladesh this year, and Heard Isl in 2015 IF that DXpedition actually comes off.

I can usually work them if I can hear them...TR8CA had a somewhat predictable operating schedule and I'd been listening for Alain and it worked out..
In contrast, I've only heard Mt. Athos a handful of times.  Such is the nature of the journey to the HR.

73 es c u in the pileups de harry, W6DXO
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 05:19:40 AM »

Congratulations!  It sure helps to have a great operator at the other end like Alain  Wink

Zack W1VT
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »

Congrats and thanks for sharing.  What else do you need that are tough from the six land?

Jonathan W6GX

Thanks Jonathan...

I still need the "usual suspects" hi...Mt. Athos to complete Europe, and Libya, Syria, and Eritrea in Africa, and then it's mostly those entities that just don't get activated like Amsterdam Isl.  I hope to pick up both Amsterdam Isl and Bangladesh this year, and Heard Isl in 2015 IF that DXpedition actually comes off.

I can usually work them if I can hear them...TR8CA had a somewhat predictable operating schedule and I'd been listening for Alain and it worked out..
In contrast, I've only heard Mt. Athos a handful of times.  Such is the nature of the journey to the HR.

73 es c u in the pileups de harry, W6DXO

Out of all those entities you listed TR8CA is probably the easiest due to Alain being quite active.  They all seem hard until you work 'em, hi Cheesy  For me Azerbaijan is the 'easy' one that I don't have.  Since I have a tower my current limitation is lack of activity in those countries that I need; Libya, Syria, and Eritrea are good examples.

Jonathan W6GX

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:43:38 PM by KF7BBJ » Logged
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 04:46:26 PM »

Congrats on 320 I am stuck on 291 right now. I have worked Alain on 3 bands mostly on CW, my latest with him was on 30M so I am getting band fills anyway. For the most part he has had very decent signals into Hawaii. He is very quick on the uploads to LOTW so that is a very good thing for me.

Roland AH6RR
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 06:58:44 AM »

They all seem hard until you work 'em, hi Cheesy  For me Azerbaijan is the 'easy' one that I don't have. 

You might look for 4K9W--just got a card in yesterday's bureau envelope.
He has been active recently.

Zack W1VT
W6DXO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 07:41:24 AM »

LOTW just showed up this morning for TR8CA.

Thanks Alain !

73 de harry, W6DXO
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 04:06:49 PM »

Guys..

Well, I've been stuck at 319 worked / confirmed for some time now with no ATNO's this year.

In the midst of these doldrums I started stalking Alain, TR8CA, but with little success.  His operating times
were somewhat predictable but very short, and propagation was not always in my favor. 

Worse yet, he did not seem to be that interested in working NA ops.

Today I heard him on 15M SSB at about 15:10UTC.  Maybe I could catch him before work...
He had a pretty good signal and was building, but he was not working any
NA stations  (and he was working simplex..ugh! and 'phone is not my favorite mode..ugh again). 
Then he picked up an East Coast station with a "6" call and asked if he was in California.

We wasn't and said so, but I took this as my chance and started adding "California" after my call. 
After several calls I was getting discouraged but some kind op. said.."Alain, there's a California station calling you"...a few more calls
and then he came back asking for the "Whiskey 6".

A minute later I had #320 in the log!  Just waiting for his LOTW upload so I can submit for my new DXCC sticker.

I'm still smiling!

73 es gud dx de harry, W6DXO

Harry,

Congrats! I am stuck at 182. The last 6 months has had me miss out on most DXing because the new job has me traveling everywhere. Hate it!

Anyway, I worked Alain on 40M last night. Not much of a pile. He had a lot of trouble with my call because of QRN. Anyway, I emailed him and asked him if he busted my call. If he did, I asked him not to correct it and I would try it again. He said he had the right call. He did a hell of a job not giving up on a guy running 100 W on a wire.

Vinnie
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 04:58:25 PM »

A job well done!....I am stuck on 282.....with nothing new happening anytime soon (until either Wake or Banaba roll around, and with this joke of a cycle, I am not wagering any $$$ on bagging them either).....Sniffing 300 seems impossible......320 puts you in the Honor Roll candidacy, I presume.....that's the way to be, man.....Nice going (yeah yeah yeah, I know...CONGRATS!)....lol...

V
KA3NRX

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: