Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WIN 8.1 Preview  (Read 5838 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2013, 09:42:31 PM »

Microsoft has released for free download of windows 8.1. Simply do a search for win 8.1 preview on Microsoft's link is at top of list

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Windows is not a suitable platform for amateur radio software any more.  Linux, FreeBSD, or OS X are much better and software written for one will run on the others with little effort.

We hams should encourage companies that wish to sell us software to release it on real operating systems.
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 08:27:44 PM »

Windows is not a suitable platform for amateur radio software any more.  Linux, FreeBSD, or OS X are much better and software written for one will run on the others with little effort.

We hams should encourage companies that wish to sell us software to release it on real operating systems.

Is a post like this really necessary?

Don KF7DS
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 10:21:52 PM »

Don KF7DS

You come to expect it from those stuck on 13 yr old WIN XP

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 02:27:43 AM »

Don KF7DS

Yes.  It's necessary.  Hopefully it'll snap you out of your reverie.

The first company that agreed to violate your 4th Amendment rights and participate in the NSA's illegal PRISM program was Microsoft.  They are not the friend of any radio amateur, American who believes in the constitution, or software developer.

Time to cut that umbilical and move on to a real computing environment.  Anybody who would sell you and I out like MS has deserves nothing but a turned back.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 02:28:37 AM »

Don KF7DS

You come to expect it from those stuck on 13 yr old WIN XP

Sometimes tough love is all that an errant 13 year old will respond to.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 04:57:10 AM »

Oh for cryin' out loud....  The majority of us fight to keep politics out of ham radio, then a thread with posts like this comes up.  Obviously one person does, but WHO ELSE GIVES A CR*P!
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 02:14:11 PM »

Oh for cryin' out loud....  The majority of us fight to keep politics out of ham radio, then a thread with posts like this comes up.  Obviously one person does, but WHO ELSE GIVES A CR*P!

This isn't politics.  This is reality, and sadly not enough people give a crap.

This is the kind of problem that is only going to get worse over time if ignored, and there should be an effort to punish the companies that willingly collude with illegal surveillance programs initiated by unaccountable government agencies.  Perhaps you don't see much value in your constitutional rights, but please don't expect others to share your apathy.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 02:36:28 PM »

KE7TMA - "I just threw up in my mouth a little."

So, just swallow it.
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 06:47:41 AM »

I just threw up in my mouth a little.  Windows is not a suitable platform for amateur radio software any more.  Linux, FreeBSD, or OS X are much better and software written for one will run on the others with little effort.

If you prefer another operating system, then so be it.  The topic of discussion is simply a reference to Win 8 and doesn't deserve a comment concerning the emesis of your stomach content.  Spin the dial if you can't contribute positively to this discussion.

Randy AJ7G
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 05:04:33 PM »

I just threw up in my mouth a little.  Windows is not a suitable platform for amateur radio software any more.  Linux, FreeBSD, or OS X are much better and software written for one will run on the others with little effort.

If you prefer another operating system, then so be it.  The topic of discussion is simply a reference to Win 8 and doesn't deserve a comment concerning the emesis of your stomach content.  Spin the dial if you can't contribute positively to this discussion.

Randy AJ7G

It's amazing that a person would consider buying a product from a company that was so eager to engage in an illegal surveillance program, that's all.  To me it's a matter of patriotism and the fact that I take my rights seriously.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 05:48:58 PM »

I just threw up in my mouth a little.  Windows is not a suitable platform for amateur radio software any more.  Linux, FreeBSD, or OS X are much better and software written for one will run on the others with little effort.

If you prefer another operating system, then so be it.  The topic of discussion is simply a reference to Win 8 and doesn't deserve a comment concerning the emesis of your stomach content.  Spin the dial if you can't contribute positively to this discussion.

Randy AJ7G

It's amazing that a person would consider buying a product from a company that was so eager to engage in an illegal surveillance program, that's all.  To me it's a matter of patriotism and the fact that I take my rights seriously.

That is so funny because Apple wrote the book on this and secretly tracked your location for several years until someone figured it out and Apple said it was a accident of sorts, ya right. Then google did it with andriod and ATT was famous for it and Verizon to some extent but lets beat up microsoft a new comer to mobile market. The only mobile smart phone not really  tracked without permission were blackberrys because of phones security by design.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 05:51:19 PM by W8JX » Logged

AA3EJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 10:04:56 AM »

Try Ubuntu Linux ver. 12.04.2, a REAL OS and it's free for the consumer and runs the hardware more efficient and the best thing is that you don't even have to pay MICROSOFT!!.. Search for Ubuntu OS and download it, ..install and enjoy a real FAST and efficient OS!. Been using Linux for several years now and there is plenty of loggers to choose from. Try "Cloudlog"..Enjoy..73's Dave, AA3EJ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »

Try Ubuntu Linux ver. 12.04.2, a REAL OS and it's free for the consumer and runs the hardware more efficient and the best thing is that you don't even have to pay MICROSOFT!!.. Search for Ubuntu OS and download it, ..install and enjoy a real FAST and efficient OS!. Been using Linux for several years now and there is plenty of loggers to choose from. Try "Cloudlog"..Enjoy..73's Dave, AA3EJ

The problem with linux type OSes has never been about stability but rather user interface and lack of apps.

KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »

I use Linux and Windows (desktop, servers, etc) and they both have their places.  I much prefer Linux as a server platform than desktop for several reasons, not the least of which is the quality and availability of desktop software.  While Linux sometimes has apps to replace the ones you used in Windows, they often do not, and/or those apps are clunky, nerdy, and lacking in features.

Linux, as much as I love it, still has a long way to go before it will be replacing Windows for most people.  I won't argue against it as an open platform for tinkering and developing (learn Python programming), but if I was going to design apps to share for free or sell to the biggest audience possible, it would be on Windows.

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: