Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC white goods exemption  (Read 9333 times)
WX7G

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2013, 09:53:07 AM »

http://www.bureauveritas.com/wps/wcm/connect/31b53f004edb713e8d5fcd600bbc220b/FCC_Frequently_Asked_Questions_Aug10.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Several folks here have reported RFI issues with washing machines. Apparently washing machines are exempt from FCC compliance.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 09:57:50 PM »

I don't see anything at the supplied link that would imply that.  Am I missing something?
Tom
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 12:29:49 PM »

Page 2, Q4:

"White good appliances like washing machines, refrigerators, dishwashers and other digital
‘smart’ appliances may be exempt under the appliance exemption."
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »

"White good appliances like washing machines, refrigerators, dishwashers and other digital  ‘smart’ appliances may be exempt under the appliance exemption."

Thanks, I missed that.  I guess I was spending more attention trying to figure out just who that "Bureau Veritas" is.  I may be wrong, but it looks to me that it is a private compliance advocate or assistance organization trying to hide under an official FCC identity.  Though I can't say for sure, it doesn't APPEAR that those are official FCC documents.  I've got too many things that deed to be done tonight to tackle the FCC website but, I think, it bears looking at from that side.
Tom
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 09:09:34 PM »

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bureau Veritas S.A. is a global company in testing, inspection and certification services. Bureau Veritas offer services and solutions to ensure that their clients' assets, products, infrastructure and processes meet standards and regulations in terms of quality, health and safety, environmental protection and social responsibility...

From their attempt to make the page you refer to appear as an official FCC document, I would question the credibility of the rest of their "information"  and check out the REAL FCC website.  Sounds to me as though they're trying to drum up business by making questionable statements under the guise of "official" FCC pronouncements.
Tom
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 12:01:52 PM »

Here is a link to the FCC page on Appliance Exemptions. There have been several threads here where the RFI appeared to have been from the exempted digital control circuitry.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/kdb/forms/FTSSearchResultPage.cfm?id=33062&switch=P
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 11:30:10 AM »

Exemption for RFI from digital control circuitry? That's where any RFI probably WOULD come from.
That is unbelievable!...exempting a whole class of consumer (not even necessarily medical or critical) appliances that are ubiquitous. I posted a comment re: my Maytag Bravos washing machine. It isn't operated 24X7 so I can deal with it once a week. A refrigerator, however, does operate 24X7. Write your congressperson to have this absurd exemption removed! It does say "may" be exempt. I don't know what that means. The FCC appears to have given up on RFI enforcement.
KB2IUA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 05:55:29 PM »

You are misreading the FCC notice. The “White Goods” are exempt from being tested for meeting FCC rules foe RF emission because they are not designed to be emitters of RF. If it is found that they “unintentionally” do emit, they can be still held to the rules.

From FCC posting:
An exempt appliance is only exempt from equipment authorization procedures for the functions associated with the digital device circuitry. The appliance remains subject to the requirements in Section 15.5 requiring the device not cause harmful interference, and Section 15.29 regarding inspection by the Commission. It is strongly recommended that manufacturers or importers make every effort to meet the specific technical standards, follow appropriate FCC equipment authorization procedures, and comply with quality practices to ensure all units sold and marketed are, and will remain, compliant.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 12:32:36 AM »

http://www.bureauveritas.com/wps/wcm/connect/31b53f004edb713e8d5fcd600bbc220b/FCC_Frequently_Asked_Questions_Aug10.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Several folks here have reported RFI issues with washing machines. Apparently washing machines are exempt from FCC compliance.

My washing machine puts out more RF than my transceiver!  Ok mabe not but there's no hope of getting on HF while that thing is in operation.

Ditto the plasma TV I have, but it is rarely on.  I am rationing brain cells as it is!
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 09:16:50 AM »

So, if I find an offending piece of hardware, which is exempted as "White Goods", the FCC will accept a complaint and will initiate prompt enforcement actions against the manufacturer and the end-user?

This is similar to what what my Father told me as a kid "if you defecate in one hand and wish in the other, guess which one ends up being full?"

You are misreading the FCC notice. The “White Goods” are exempt from being tested for meeting FCC rules foe RF emission because they are not designed to be emitters of RF. If it is found that they “unintentionally” do emit, they can be still held to the rules.

From FCC posting:
An exempt appliance is only exempt from equipment authorization procedures for the functions associated with the digital device circuitry. The appliance remains subject to the requirements in Section 15.5 requiring the device not cause harmful interference, and Section 15.29 regarding inspection by the Commission. It is strongly recommended that manufacturers or importers make every effort to meet the specific technical standards, follow appropriate FCC equipment authorization procedures, and comply with quality practices to ensure all units sold and marketed are, and will remain, compliant.

N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 06:17:39 PM »

I have a 900 MHz wireless telephone headset and it will mute when I get near to my dryer and washing machine.  I have not investigated it any further but I am pretty sure that one of them is causing the interference.

Mark N1UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: