Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still confused between k3 or 990  (Read 1999 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2013, 05:38:23 PM »

I have asked the question before and I have read recently a lot and the more I read their web site the more confused I get on which transceiver to get loaded k3 or ts 990
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 03:40:21 AM »

Unless your in the habit of purchasing on the opinion of others that don't know your personal requirements, the only way you can decide is to beg, borrow or steal and try out each and find out for yourself. Other wise (as you have found out)  your responses will be the typical peeing match between what are the bestest (sic) of the two rigs in question.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 04:22:29 AM »

Really?

You are either a troll or you made a serious typo.

Seriously... you have a budget of $8,000.00 and these are your final two choices?

NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:28:13 AM »

Check out their respective YAHOO Groups.

What do you want to do with the radio?

Did I see a reference to an $8000 budget?

Check out Sherwood Labs receiver reports.

Good luck...

...bill nr4c
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 08:45:50 AM »

I have asked the question before and I have read recently a lot and the more I read their web site the more confused I get on which transceiver to get loaded k3 or ts 990

For $8000.00 dollars, the 990 better come loaded already.  As far as the K3 you pay and pay for each and every thing you put in it.  Why only these 2 radios?  Why not the Yaseu 5000 or Icom 7600 or 7700.  Heck, why not Kenwoods TS 590 and put as much $$ into the best antenna system as you can get.  It is more important anyway. 

Rick  WN2C
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »

Good luck...

...bill nr4c

The LAST thing you should check is the Sherwood receiver tests.  Sherwood does not personally use any of the top 5 receivers on the list.  He uses an ICOM-781 and Drakes, look where they fall on his list...

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:00:43 PM by SWL2002 » Logged
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 04:18:46 PM »

Good luck...

...bill nr4c

The LAST thing you should check is the Sherwood receiver tests.  Sherwood does not personally use any of the top 5 receivers on the list.  He uses an ICOM-781 and Drakes, look where they fall on his list...

And yet he still publishes his tests...

Maybe the best thing to check is the thickness and glossiness of the advertisement sheets handed out at the ham radio store, right?
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 01:21:04 PM »

Really?

You are either a troll or you made a serious typo.

Seriously... you have a budget of $8,000.00 and these are your final two choices?

Agreed, this seems just like an extension of another post were a K3 owner boasted that a K3 is better than a 990  Grin Grin Grin  My thinking is that the persons involved want people who may be thinking of buying a 590 or another sub $2000 radio to be thinking that the K3 would easily beat those radios since it can compete with a $8000 radio.  That kind of misdirection shows the extent of what is going on.

As for Sherwood's numbers they are absolutely meaningless.  If he had published those numbers in a Technical Journal or Magazine he would be facing some serious lawsuits.  His whole testing methodology is totally flawed,  because they are all basically just hobby grade tests with no controlled reference samples, no calibrated equipment and only one sample of each unit tested and the tests on individual radios run years between each other on equipment that is not specified or of any commercial grade quality.  All of this might not be so bad if he was measuring numbers that are easy to measure but he's trying to measure numbers that only multimillion dollar labs can verify accurately and he's doing it within a db or two on old I mean old test gear.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 10:17:21 PM »

As for Sherwood's numbers they are absolutely meaningless.  If he had published those numbers in a Technical Journal or Magazine he would be facing some serious lawsuits.

His methodology has prompted the ARRL to totally revise their testing regime, so it must be good for something.  Never mind that he is perhaps the most well-respected radio tester in the world at this point!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: