Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay bidding  (Read 5365 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2013, 04:39:51 PM »

Folks don't you get it? Don't bother bidding until the last 2 seconds, your just driving the price up  Grin
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 05:28:41 PM »

Don't know about that.  Remember someone could have a really high bid, and it might not be pushed to it's limit till the very end anyway.  And alot of people use software to beat you.  You have to decide your limit and try not to go past it.   IF someone wants it more than you at any cost, they will win it.  If someone wants to pay alot more than something is worth, what are you gonna do about it?  It is not a race, it is a test of who has the deepest pockets unless no one else is really  interested in an item. 
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »

Agree with W8AAZ...it's all about emotional vs. rational thought.  Mr. Spock would be proud!

1. If you want something and can offer a reasonable price for it (reasonable in your mind), go ahead and bid on it with that price whenever you please. 

2. If you want something regardless of what it costs, bid whatever you can afford at the last second.

In the case of (1), you might find that you are pleasantly surprised to pick up the item for less than you thought was reasonable.  The only down side is that you must be psychologically prepared to forego the deal if you are outbid.

In the case of (2), you are probably a gambler anyway, and live for the thrill of either winning at the finish line or being outfoxed by a higher bid (that was placed earlier).
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 07:59:54 PM »

I agree with the OP.  I have won numerous items by bidding 1 dollar over the last bid in the last 15 seconds and they were all less than I was willing to pay.  The key is to know how much you are willing to pay and don't go a dime over it no matter what.  But that doesn't mean you have put all of your cards on the table before the last hand.  And don't wait until the last 2 seconds, remember the bid process is two steps, you enter the bid and then must confirm it. About 15 to 20 seconds is about right depending on Internet congestion.

I do agree with the most important guideline of all - if you can't afford to do without the item you my as well pay the "buy now" price and be done.  Walk away when you lose and write it off as part of the game. Don't fall in love with something that can't love you back.

Tom/AE5QB 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 04:39:59 AM »

The thing to do is to wait till the last couple of minutes.  Decide on the maximum bid you're willing to make, then at that last minute, if the current bid is still below it--make that maximum bid!  Let the other bidders try to get past your bid then, because most of them will go up by a dollar or two at a time.  Of course, if two play the same game, whoever is willing to go higher will win.

No fancy software or bidding aid from the site, you've made your offer.  If someone outbids you, that's the luck of the draw--but most of the time that strategy will get you what you want at the price you're willing to pay.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 09:19:56 AM »

Folks don't you get it? Don't bother bidding until the last 2 seconds, your just driving the price up  Grin

No need to sit and watch with your finger "on the trigger" to place a last-second bid.

Use a "sniping" service like Auction Sniper: http://www.auctionsniper.com/

You indicate the highest bid that you want to make -- and in the final seconds it automatically places the lowest bid needed to win, up to the limit you've set.

K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 10:11:15 AM »

I find in any  auction.. early on,, bid  high.. none of this  up a dollar  type bidding.
raise the bid   5 or 10 if you think it will go  above that anyway..
let the bidder know  you really want it and scare off those that raise it  a dollar at a time.
Try and narrow it down to  2 bidders quickly..
Then  if the other  wont  'scare off'  , make him  pay for it  by  keeping up the raises, just know  the others reactons so you quit in bid  early..

nasty!!!!!!!!!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »

I find in any  auction.. early on,, bid  high.. none of this  up a dollar  type bidding.
raise the bid   5 or 10 if you think it will go  above that anyway..
let the bidder know  you really want it and scare off those that raise it  a dollar at a time.
Try and narrow it down to  2 bidders quickly..
Then  if the other  wont  'scare off'  , make him  pay for it  by  keeping up the raises, just know  the others reactons so you quit in bid  early..

nasty!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, nasty--and you let on right away that you're willing to go high, so others will think about going high too--and pretty soon you get a bid war going.  When that happens, the only one who really wins is the seller!
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 10:39:47 AM »

Not sure how that happened??

Last night I bid on an item with 4 seconds to go, raised the price by $30.00 to try to beat the snipers.

I got 'beat' by someone who bid some 5 seconds after the bid closed winning the bid with the exact same exact figure that I had bid??

Maybe I misread the results but that is exactly what it looked like.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 02:15:38 PM »

...I got 'beat' by someone who bid some 5 seconds after the bid closed winning the bid with the exact same exact figure that I had bid??

Maybe I misread the results but that is exactly what it looked like.

Probably an 'automatic bid' that the E-bay system entered.  On some auctions, you set your high bid and the E-bay system will automatically raise the bid for you until it reaches your high.  Someone set the same high bid that you did--before you did it--and the system automatically made that bid the winning one since it was done first, or at the very least before you entered that same bid.

The time delay?  Sometimes the system has many of those automatic bids running, and it takes a little time to work through them.
N2MOD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 04:55:37 AM »

Some auction sites extend the time of the auction by 15 minutes every time there is a bid during the final moments of an auction, to prevent just this kind of sniping BS.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 01:14:08 PM »

Here is another question.

In looking at a sellers ID history it seems like he changed ID once a year. Is that a read flag or is it normal?
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 04:49:35 PM »

Here is another question.

In looking at a sellers ID history it seems like he changed ID once a year. Is that a read flag or is it normal?
It would be for me...  I have had the same eBay ID for 10 years...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 08:35:27 PM »

I had some good info to post in this thread, but I have to run over to eBay and make sure that I won a PHOTOCOPY of the Yaesu FT-60R four-page advertisement brochure that a respected eBay merchant is selling for only $8.00 - instead of downloading the exact same brochure from Yaesu's site, I can snag one off of eBay!

I am serious. I refuse to give the auction number here ...

I have to admit, I have - in the past - gotten caught up in eBay madness. But when I see items selling for MUCH more on eBay than they are selling for down the road at Ham Radio Outlet, I just wonder how some sellers live with themselves.

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 09:10:16 AM »

LOL I saw a ground bonding lug, direct bury type for swimming pools for the low low price of $99.00 !!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: