Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are people paying these Crazy prices on eBay?  (Read 64502 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2013, 05:11:54 PM »

I think Deflation is finally kicking in. Used to be that Suckers were a dime a dozen, now they are a Penny a dozen and the birth rate for same seems to have increased from one a minute to three or four.

Lol you are not kidding.   Last night the YL and myself watched a bit of one of those "Home Channels" and the show was about a couple who bought a $500K foreclosed house that had been vandalized, they got it for the "low price" of something like $260K and they then fixed it up and sold it for $360K making a $60K profit.  We both looked at each other and said here we go again, they are trying to kickstart the whole house flipping industry again!  Have people learned nothing!  I have several cousins who are penniless because of that musical chairs game. They got caught without a chair when the music stopped and ended up holding several houses with no buyers and lots of bank debt.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2013, 06:47:07 PM »

How is this thread on topic?
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2013, 03:58:23 AM »

Re:K5TED reply #46

Posting possible different answers (mostly opinions) IS the theme of the topic even if different correlations are used.
W7EJT

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2013, 08:23:52 AM »

Agreed!

One of my favorites is the FT-8900R. There are 12 listings (today) and every one of them is OVER the retail price of $368 (after rebate with free shipping). Some as high as $600 with shipping. Same goes for the FT-8800R

I don't get it  Shocked
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2013, 10:08:12 AM »

Here is what he said:

"This auction is for a used Ten-Tec Hercules 444 Solid State HF Amplifier. This amp was part of an estate and is not in working order. This amp is being sold AS junk, For parts only. We know for sure it is not working. It may not be wroth fixing. It may be missing parts. It is not working and being sold as Junk. It is dirty and dusty and beat up looking. It is being offered as a Tech Special or for parts only. It is being sold AS IS with no returns accepted on this item. The power supply for this amp is listed as a separate item on Ebay"

I gotta try this on Ebay someday:

"This auction is for a used rock. It is a rock that I dug up in my backyard. It is not a valuable rock as far as I know, and it has no redeeming qualities, is dirty, and not special in any way. While it possibly MAY be valuable or have value as a garden addition or paper weight, I do not guarantee this. This rock is being sold AS IS with no returns accepted on this item. "
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2013, 10:22:20 AM »

You will see the same and often much higher prices on places like  QTH .  No bidding just starting high , often twice what a similar item brings on ebay .  ebay actually works quite well . One has to accept that there are many people willing and able to spend a few dollars more .

I am amazed at what anyone will pay for ANY imported radio . But hey , it is their money after all .
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »

I don't understand why regular HF rigs like the FT 897 that are selling from Japan are so expensive . Check the price of this out $1,727 (plus $55 for shipping). What is so special about them other than they are configured for Japanese hams?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FT-897D-Japan-Standard-YAESU-1-9MHz-430MHz-band-all-mode-machine-amateur-radio-/171075377443?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item27d4e31923

Here is another one. Icom ID 51 the new dual band D-Star HT. This is also selling from Japan and they want $859 for it plus $33 for shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/earphone-microphone-set-Icom-1-ID-51-144-430MHz-digital-analog-transceiver-/181174981888?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item2a2eded500

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2013, 04:42:43 PM »

Re:W4KYR reply #5

OK I'll open up a can of worms: Consider the possibility of higher quality components in the units made for the Japanese market whose hams generally keep their rigs considerably longer than hams in the U.S. market a trend which is not lost on the Japanese manufacturers.To wit, more than a few U.S. servicemen in the 60's and 70's who bought Sony, Akai, Citizen etc. products in Japan outside of military base PX's noticed the internal quality and longevity of the same make and model that was designated for export.
W2WDX

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2013, 10:06:13 PM »

In the science of "Behavioral Economics" (versus the so-called Rational Economics that is the basis of all economic planning for the past 50 years. Yeah ... that worked well ... Harumph!) their is a demonstration that has been performed often. It is very telling about human nature and rational behavior when it comes to spending money and economic decision making.

A room full of people are told they are going to bid on a $20 bill with bidding starting at $1. The terms are if you win you get the $20 bill, however whomever comes in second place at the end of the auction will have to pay $5 to the seller.

Almost without fail, the $20 bill sells for more than face value, usually around $28.

Without getting into the psychology behind this irrational behavior it does explain what happens on eBay. Ya gotta win!

I never buy anything at auction, I buy fixed price items I feel are priced appropriately for my pocket.

Of course there are the people who have millions (or billions) of dollars in disposable funds, who do not value $500 (or even $5000) the way the rest of us do. To them it's pocket change, literally. For them $5000 holds the same relative value as a quarter does for us. So for them, winning is fun and money is meaningless. For them everything is affordable at any price.

Go figure.

John
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:15:08 PM by W2WDX » Logged

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2013, 05:05:08 AM »

Re:W4KYR reply #5

OK I'll open up a can of worms: Consider the possibility of higher quality components in the units made for the Japanese market whose hams generally keep their rigs considerably longer than hams in the U.S. market a trend which is not lost on the Japanese manufacturers.To wit, more than a few U.S. servicemen in the 60's and 70's who bought Sony, Akai, Citizen etc. products in Japan outside of military base PX's noticed the internal quality and longevity of the same make and model that was designated for export.

It isn't a possibility, it's a fact.  BTW, just where does everyone think that those rejected components that the Japanese manufacturers don't want end up?  Most of them go to China and to the factories there.  Sure, they may have been OK and just not up to Japanese standards, but some were definitely worse--and the Chinese factories just use them anyway.  It's painfully obvious--lower quality parts for less cost equals lower prices for goods.  Some people just refuse to see the truth.

Witness those low cost items that are listed on E-bay that are shipped from China--or even Hong Kong now.  Also those low cost things available at Harbor Freight.  Made in China--every one of them, yet people will buy them without a second glance because they're low priced.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 05:13:13 AM by K1CJS » Logged
W2WDX

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2013, 02:21:29 PM »

Oh yeah, Hams complaining about people buying on the cheap. There's an oximoron!

This coming from the cheapest group of hobbyists I have ever seen. A group who has guys that say they'll use a dried up old corn muffin for an insulator because it costs nothing. I exaggerate, but you know what I mean.

Hams either want to spend nothing or spend way too much for for something non-essential or ineffective, like auto-tuners.

Boy, we are an odd lot!!!

I wonder ... a corn muffin ... Hmmm?

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2013, 05:26:03 AM »

...Boy, we are an odd lot!!!

I kinda think that that's the best description of an amateur radio operator said in a long time.  73!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2013, 06:12:39 AM »

Re: W2WDX reply #55

You nailed it "an odd lot" from A hole to Zealot and everything in between which is the ideal spread for interesting rag chews.

KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2013, 02:16:39 PM »

A dried up old corn muffin for an insulator! What a great idea! I wonder if spaghetti would work for a coil??  Grin
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2013, 10:17:43 PM »

This coming from the cheapest group of hobbyists I have ever seen. A group who has guys that say they'll use a dried up old corn muffin for an insulator because it costs nothing. I exaggerate, but you know what I mean.

Hams either want to spend nothing or spend way too much for for something non-essential or ineffective, like auto-tuners.

Boy, we are an odd lot!!!

I wonder ... a corn muffin ... Hmmm?

I don't know how to evaluate that.  I find ham radio to be one of the most expensive hobbies that I have ever been in and that's coming from a guy that spent big bucks in Scuba Diving a fair amount in RC planes and a crap load in Saltwater Reef Aquariums.  I know some guys don't spend much but a lot of hams boast $3000 - $8000 radios and Amps in that same price range, not to mention the cost of a good antenna.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: