Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are people paying these Crazy prices on eBay?  (Read 58966 times)
K5TEN

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2013, 02:26:17 PM »

Flippin' N00bs that see a rig or accessory on a 7 day auction and start a bidding war on the first day.

I wish I could slap them upside the had 80 or 90 times.
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »

I wish I could slap them upside the had 80 or 90 times.

Agree, just don't know how people can be so stupid and drive the price to a crazy amount 6 days before the auction ends....COMPLETE MORONS!!!! Why not watch the item ans snipe it on the last 5 seconds of the auction. If you win it you got if for a good deal. If you lose it then you get to bid again. But if those who drive up the prize days before never get to own the item. is like they enjoy driving up the price and them going away. All I can say is...human buttholes with very little grey matter upstairs.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2013, 07:26:14 AM »

What I don't get are the direct rigs from Japan that are twice as much as here in the states. Case in point, am I missing something?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAESU-FTDX1200-100W-HF-50MHz-transceiver-Free-Shipping-from-Japan-/151110933047?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item232ee9da37

Yes, maybe.  Unless it's stated (no I didn't try to read the gibberish that was on the auction page) that it's a radio produced for the US market, you may end up with a radio that has to be modified to conform to the FCC specs for that rig.  I'm pretty sure that some of those radios have enabled transmitting bandspace that shouldn't be enabled in the US version and other transmitting bandspace that isn't enabled that should be.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2013, 07:30:27 AM »

The best way to shop is to set the site to show new listings in the 'buy it now' list.  If you see what you're looking for at a price you would pay.... 

Otherwise, in regular auctions, e-bay has become next to useless because of the morons who bid up the items.
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2013, 10:24:23 AM »

If you do indulge in the auctions (as opposed to the buy-it-now) there is one overriding strategy you must always take--do not get emotionally invested in winning.  For instance, if you are looking for an entry level rig and have decided on a used IC718, spend a couple of weeks looking at existing auctions, or do a closed auction search, so you see the closing price of a dozen or auctions.  You'll find that they usually close above $420.  Pick a number at the lower end of the range, then bid that number.  The higher number you bid the sooner you'll win.  If you are outbid, never up you bid--another one will come along.  As long as the price you chose wasn't unreasonable, you will most likely eventually win one.  If you chose $500 for that item, you'll probably win the next auction, but if you chose $420, you will probably have to go through a number of auctions before you actually win.  Also, when you search closed auctions and none of them close at a price you consider reasonable, then walk away--chances are vanishingly small that you will be able to win one at a lower price.  Find another place to buy.

When people get emotionally invested in an item, they will keep rationalizing to themselves--"another $10 isn't much"--and it isn't until you do that ten times.  The emotional investment also tends to come when they see the price start at a great deal.  They've identified with the item when bidding was at $280, and looks like a great deal.  The don't reevaluate the value proposition now that bidding is up to $450.

I remember years ago, I wanted a Canon GL1 Semi Pro MiniDV camcorder because I was starting a production business.  It was just released a few months earlier, and was in high demand.  I started watching auctions for new GL1s on eBay (this was probably about 1999) and they were closing at $2300-$2400 dollars.  I noticed the seller had a website.  I went to their website and ordered the same--brand new--camera from the same seller, but from their store instead of eBay, for---$2100!

The only time you should bid up, is when the rarity of an item makes it unlikely that you will find another.  If you see a genuine Vincent Black Shadow--bid away, it will be a long time before you see another.  But, at any particular moment, there are half a dozen FT-857D's on auction in the US.
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2013, 03:30:28 PM »

I used to be one of the noobies that got caught up in the bidding wars.

I watch an item and bid at the last minute if it is still in my price range.

If not someone else will have it for sale.

Take your time and you will get what you want.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: