Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 817 upgrades  (Read 4515 times)
KD5TXX

Ignore
« on: December 24, 2013, 09:02:17 PM »

I have an 817 I have used for years.  I have only used it on ssb however.  I do have the ssb filter installed.  I have recently gotten on the air with CW and am contemplating buying a CW filter.  To tell the truth I can tell no difference between the ssb filter and no filter.  Is the CW filter worth the investment? Thanks
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 06:00:50 AM »

I do not own the FT-817 but the FT-897; the results with the filters are similar for both rigs.
SSB Filter: the original ceramic filter is pretty good as far as selectivity is concerned and installing the Collins filter will not improve selectivity. The difference is in the passband: the ceramic filter is rounded (kind of Gaussian), the Collins is flat. This results in a non negligible increase in strength of the received signal. Is it worth it? Lets say it is expensive for what improvement you get.
CW Filter: If you are an avid CW op the filter is a must.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 07:36:13 AM »

Hi KD5TXX

I know the SSB filter isn't worth the efford.
I have only one question does your FT817 have DSP onboard?

I use a FT857D and use the 300 Hz filter in CW.
It is a difference of day and night.
If I use the SSB filter as station 2.5 KHz away might start pumping AGC and cause troubles.
With the 300 Hz filter I do not even have troubles with a station 700 Hz away from my frequency.

With use of the audio DSp the rig gets even better.
So the SSB filter is not very much important, the CW filter works great.

73 good luck with your CW , I wouldn't want to miss CW specialy in QRP CW is a great mode.

Jos
KD5TXX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 08:44:01 AM »

Thanks all.  I will get the filter.  I am new to CW.  Only have 1 1/2 contacts to my name.  The half was cause I kept up my part with a guy I swore was talking back to me.  Email let me know he wasn't.... Second time worked better...I also plan to use my 817 for digital and see that the CW filter works well for that too.  Is the w4rt 500 hz filter what I need?
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 11:05:23 AM »

Yes A CW filter is a good thing.  I have an 817 with a 500hz filter and for CW it does
make a difference for listening.

Allison
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 07:56:39 AM »

Just to pile on...

Yes, do get the filter - I used an Inrad 300 Hz filter with my '817 - it may be a bit narrow for most folks, but it worked well.  I think the 500 Hz filter would be a good choice for you, especially if you're new to CW.

73!

KD5TXX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 08:56:35 AM »

Thank you all.  I ordered the 500 hz filter last night.  And to reply to an earlier post my 817 does not have dsp.  That may be a future upgrade.  I'm going to put the ssb filter in my 857 in the car and see if it does anything there.
KD5TXX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 07:40:36 PM »

The filter came in today and I took out the ssb one and installed it.  Amazing! Miles better than the ssb one.  Now I need one for my other rig.  Thanks guys.
KF5IIL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 08:21:17 AM »

Replacing the stock speaker will make that radio sound amazingly better.  One of most no-brainer upgrades out there.
KD5TXX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 08:54:18 AM »

Any recommendations for a replacement speaker?
KF5IIL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 10:08:26 AM »

This thread (from this this, the QRP forum) has the details (thanks to the OP for posting this upgrade in the first place!):
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,93262.0.html

73 KF5IIL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: