Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu VX-6R - SW Listening  (Read 20777 times)
K6LCS

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2013, 10:51:25 AM »

Those who know me know I own a bunch of Yaesu FT-60R radios that I use all the time for
presentations and working FM satellites. And the FT-60R is a great HT, indeed.

But I grabbed my VX-6R last night to hit a couple favorite repeaters to let fellow hams know
we had a visible pass of the ISS again coming up soon. After the pass, I sat down outside
and manually thumbed through my memories.

With just a 22-inch SMA antenna (the Smiley 270A) in Jurupa Valley, CA, transmissions from
WWV on both 5 and 10 MHz were strong enough to break my normal squelch setting and be heard
loud and clear.

I've attached a long wire to my VX-6R (and even the little VX-3R) before, and had impressive results
scanning the SW frequencies. But I don't remember receiving WWV with just an HT antenna on my VX-6R
before.

Just a short little story. I also enjoy (or, more accurately, my aging eyes appreciate) the bolder font
used in the VX-6R's display. It is a great little HT.

Clint Bradford K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
909-241-7666 - cell

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 03:04:37 PM »

I bought a tiny and dirt cheap Yaesu VX-3 HT a few months ago and I'm amazed how well it picks up shortwave broadcast stations and, yes, WWV. Too bad it has no product detector and fine tuning for CW or SSB.  I can hear garbled sideband as I tune across ham bands.

It's also excellent for railroad listening (around 161 MHz) and air around 122 MHz.

Only shortcoming is poor sensitivity on the AM broadcast band with the built-in ferrite antenna. It's also a bear to program without outboard software, some practice, and good eyes.

Yes, very impressive tech, even far outside its transmitting range of 144 and 440 MHz.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 03:36:13 PM »

This all started for me with the VX-2R and its pre-programmed SW freqs ... I soldered up a random-length long wire to an SMA connector and sat outside in the evening, and remember hearing broadcasts on more than 20 of the pre-programmed freqs!

Then the same with the VX-3R ... and I manually programmed a few AM broadcast band, FM broadcast band, and a couple SW freqs in the VX-6R.

No, it is not a dedicated receiver ... but for a very casual SW listening experience, I was pleasantly surprised!

One thing that irritates me, though, with my VX-6R: I have tried and tried talking to the guy on 162.450 - but he never stops talking to let anyone else get a word in ...

(grin)

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 10:49:28 AM »

Before I upgraded to General I enjoyed hiking with my Kenwood TH-6a and a home-brewed 72" telescoping whip antenna (from Radio Shack, but no longer available) with an SMA connector (once I got out of the trees at least!). I remember hiking up a ski slope one fall afternoon, listening to Radio Netherlands blasting in S9+ all day. I just kept the radio in my daypack along with headphones, mostly for listening but also in case I got into a bind.

I sold that radio after picking up an FT-817. Haven't done any hikes with it yet, but now seeing this thread I'm itching to go. Too bad I'm on call and have chores I've been putting off!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: