Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AT&T U-verse  (Read 42620 times)
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 05:39:56 AM »

Professional counseling might be the way to a better night's sleep and an always on modem  Smiley

I sleep just fine, thank you very much, and your personal slight was NOT appreciated and was rather juvenile.  You must be one of those (many) hams who can't stand to have someone disagree with your (unfounded) opinions.
Seems as though, lately, every time I visit this site, some smart alec ham has got to shoot off his mind(??) rather than expressing his disagreement in an adult and businesslike manner.
In my opinion, ANY electronic device that operates its components under abusive conditions is an incompetent design and, definitely not worthy of my interest.  If you or any of the other supporters of this incompetent device allow themselves to be sucked in to using them, more power to you (NO pun intended).  As for me, I think they're garbage and will make my choices accordingly.
Ton
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 05:58:21 AM »

N9LCD, my experience with ATT has been very similar to yours.  Especially their repeat insistence on a "service call" to "test" my in building wiring.  I put the squelch on that the first time by telling them (truthfully) that I had already run new, uninterrupted, wiring from the interface box directly to the modem and it didn't make a bit of difference.  After repeated intermittent failures and repeated trouble calls, they FINALLY identified a number of bad grounds on the ancient wiring between my house and the central office which was only about five blocks away.  After repeated trouble reports, they FINALLY upgraded an unexplained length of wiring and its now been close to five years without a trouble call and, as a bonus, the noise on my voice phone has also dropped to zero.
In my opinion, this company could care less about providing competent service as long as they can keep the customer paying the bill and the only way to get any assistance is to threaten to stop doing exactly that.  At least it worked for me.
Tom
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 10:03:01 PM »

How much RFI are you getting from your ATT U verse into your HF rig?  I measured S9+20 all over my daughters house using a HT General Coverage RX all the way out to the street, from HF through 2 meters.  Ham friends that mistakenly got U verse can't operate HF at all.  I'm a Xfinity / Comcast user and have no HF RFI problems.  Just curious if you have RFI in your HF radio from your ATT.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 10:05:54 AM »

what modem brand/model did they give you?  and does it have a analog or switching wall wart?  I'd try scrounging up an analog wall wart first if you have hash all over the band.  next, I'd get some broad-spectrum toroids (the blue ferrites from old computer power supplies are stellar here) and wrap all cords coming from the modem around that from 8 to however many turns will fit around some cores, and see if that whacks the RFI.

I don't have any noise from my CTL modem at all, a Zyxel Q100 VDSL model.  it even has a switching wall wart.  my old Cisco 7xx modems generated a little RF but choking the lines cleared that up.
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 01:46:46 PM »

The reason there is no on/off switch is because it's not meant to be switched on and off. If you are worried about it burning the house down, then the two choices are either use a surge suppressor with a switch and turn it off when you aren't using it, or go back to dial up. But if you chose to turn the modem/router on and off, you are going to have all the problems outlined in the original poster's post, because they aren't designed to be operated that way. A broadband signal is meant to be always on. You don't have to like it, and you don't have to use it, but that's not going to change the fact that it's the way it operates correctly. No, you shouldn't have problems everytime it rains, and that DOES sound like bad wiring somewhere on AT&T's equipment. But even on flawless equipment you are going to find long sync times and errors if you turn it on and off several (or even one) times a day.

Personally, I've NEVER heard of a fire caused by a router or modem. I'd be more worried about the compressor that switches on and off 24 hours a day in the refrigerator, or the bomb that is otherwise known as a water heater. Heck, a faulty light switch can burn your house down and you not even realize there's a problem with it until it's too late.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 08:47:57 PM »

But even on flawless equipment you are going to find long sync times and errors if you turn it on and off several (or even one) times a day.

THAT has not been my experience (after all, ATT has got to do SOMETHING right).  The modem is ready to go before the computer is finished booting up.  So, I don't have a problem there and, for me, fire is not an issue.  I DO know how to protect the electronics I use and their surroundings (even incompetent junk electronics).  My contempt for switching power supplies (as opposed to the devices they power) comes from the generally miniscule MTBF they exhibit.  I've got an older Dell Optiplex computer that I use for programming older radios (and that doesn't amount to much use) that's working on its THIRD power supply.  The power supply is a BABY, only 135 watts, and, even that, they can't get right!  That switching junk is just NOT reliable and there's not much I hate worse that sinking good money after bad!
Even then, I wouldn't gripe if that were the only one that failed; however its a lot easier to count the ones that haven't failed than it is to count the ones that have.  JUNK, I say, JUNK!  And...I've tried to explain why.  If you choose to continue to ignore me, then just keep on paying for replacements until you go broke for all I care.  Its YOUR money!
Tom
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 08:43:48 PM »

I'm surprised to see complaints concerning AT & T uVerse.  My experience (over the past several years) has been overwhelmingly positive.  No noise on receive (160 - 10 meters), reliable service, and competent technicians sent out at AT & T 's expense, when troubles have arisen.  My 2-wire wireless box is in my hamshack, and my DVR and TV are within 30 feet of my HF vertical antennas.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 05:47:57 AM »

I expect the quality of service depends on the neighborhood in which you are located. I'm in an older neighborhood. Years ago I got Verizon DSL service (before there was any cable Internet) and it worked great. Over the years DSL deteriorated and began having issues every time there was a hard rain. Not only do the lines and equipment deteriorate over a period of years, but techs working on the lines do things like leaving un-terminated lines connected across your line. This has no affect on analog phone service but it causes reflections on high speed digital connections. I recently gave up on DSL and converted to cable which is now fiber optic from the head end to the pole outside my house.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 06:31:02 AM »

I'm in an older neighborhood, too-- our house is nearly 80 yrs. old.  Our AT & T uVerse service is not DSL; we have fiber-optic cable up to about 1000 ft. from the house, with copper cable from there. 
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »

N1OC, yeah, that's DSL.  possibly VDSL2.  if it's on copper, it's fed according to a DSL standard.  this is what's called FTTC, fiber to the curb.  if you had fiber to the house, it's probably a GPON system, gigabit premise optical networking.  a series of Y-splitters branches up to 32 or 64 subscribers off one optical user port.  the "close follower" companies have product out so it's a bit more affordable to run that than the "originator" companies' products.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 05:52:56 AM »

I expect that fiber to the curb is why you are seeing better results than some of the others.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 07:52:20 AM »

I expect that fiber to the curb is why you are seeing better results than some of the others.

In terms of performance, I think that is correct.  However, I did also see some complaints in this thread concerning AT & T's responsiveness and service technicians that just don't square with my experience.  I guess I have been very lucky, or perhaps things have changed in the year or so that I have required service.  I do have flashbacks of my poor experience with earthlink, though, and that's the main reason we switched to uVerse a few years back.
Chuck  NI0C
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 08:22:42 PM »

Finally found what my problem with uVerse dsl service was:  a defective "modem"!  The tech replaced it -- no charge.

Also found a couple of contributing problems: a long, 40-foot branch line; an obsolete 4-pin phone jack; and an underground drop that's been buried in excess of 55 years!

I'll get better internal wiring when I finally relocate the office/shack to the basement.

But I don't think Ameritech will be digging up the backyard to install a new drop from the pedestal!!!

N9LCD
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2013, 08:04:51 AM »

I kinda' know what you went through with AT&T.  I had some-different problems when I signed up for uverse dsl.

i signed up Aug. 2012.  Have a separate private phone line for this.  First, AT&T when they installed the separate line, it had cross-connected with other phone lines OUT ON THE TELEPHONE POLL.  This problem ALWAYS interfered with trying to get on.
Second, I had 8-AT&T techs, 1-Geek Squad tech , and an independent phone tech. to find what the problem was-not one could figure it out.
Finally, the LAST AT&T tech found the problem.

I made a special file of the situation.  I told the last AT&T tech about my situation. He wanted a copy of the problem to show his management/boss just want I had gone through.

Then, during 4-months of service; AT&T Billing STILL had my items of service wrong .
Finally, they correct it later.

For the last few months, every is correct and operating right.   WHEWWWWWWW!

N4XTS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2013, 10:30:42 PM »

Well I guess my U-verse story is the exception.
After a horrible experience with DirecTV, I was very hesitant about replacing my then reliable 6MB DSL (from AT&T) with U-Verse and bundling both.

I placed the order online, was able to schedule an appointment the next day. They called before they came, they showed up when they said they would. They sent to premises techs, who were the nicest guys I've met and 100 percent pro.

The key with U-verse reliabiliity is a good home run connection to the demarc, and good CAT-5 wiring (NEVER use coax!). These guys spent ALL DAY wirining my house with brand new CAT-5 for all three receivers. Placed the residential gateway where I wanted it (highest point in the house) for optimum RF. They set up all the boxes and left their personal cards and told me to call THEM not customer care if ANYTHING didn't work as I wanted it to. Never had to call them.

That was in March of this year. Since then, ZERO downtime. No problems with high speed Internet, I pay for 18MB down, get 20-21, ping times are always at 28-30ms. Upstream a constant 1.5-1.8MB. All my TV's work great, the RG they provide has a 400mw radio, at first I was concerned about the coverage (the techs tested it and were willing to install an additional access point but it was not needed) but it is fine throughout my split level.

Never had a problem with billing either. $122 a month including tax for 18MB Internet, U-300 package w/HD, three receivers.

We've had monsoon rains, storms, cold, heat- you name it, never had the service interrupted. Never.
I was paying DirecTV $90 a month for roughly the same thing, no internet of course, and no HD/DVR.

The real moron awards go to Charter Cable, who for some reason my county keeps renewing franchiese agreements with, despite a Comcast head end right down the road. You want incompetence? Try them.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: