Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally heard a Flex 6700 on the air today  (Read 33947 times)
KC9KXT

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 10:54:27 AM »

Cool why the arguing? Its like saying  "i don't like you cause you don't talk on an Icom, or Yeasu or blah, blah, blah! who cares? enjoy the hobby with whatever you want to enjoy it with!
KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2013, 10:30:38 AM »

I have a Flex 5K. It has issues, as does any other radio. My biggest complaint is the number of hoops one has to go through in order to run 3rd party software for digital modes. Goodness help you if you need to run virtual audio cables.

I got the whole kludge working okay. One day, something got stupid (perhaps me), and lost all the virtual serial port settings, etc. After repeating this procedure two or three times, I gave up. Now, I only run SSB and CW on the Flex.

I run AM on a Johnson Valiant till the next time it breaks.

Philip
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2013, 12:11:28 PM »

One day, something got stupid (perhaps me), and lost all the virtual serial port settings, etc.

You can easily save multiple copies of PSDR. Each copy can be set up a different way with a descriptive file name.

I've also saved screen shots of some of the more complex 3rd party software settings.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:16:51 PM by K0OD » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2013, 06:43:01 PM »

Running third-party digi modes with a Flex radio/PSDR is perhaps the easiest of all possible setups.

What problems are you running into?

You should be running VAC, of course, that is a given. You enable VAC in PSDR, then point your digi software to it for the sound device. How hard is that?
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2013, 08:34:08 AM »

Thanks for that link, Stan!

Please explain the Elecraft mindset.  I think I heard about this before, it's almost like a religious devotion without question to the company and the technology that allows no criticism?  (sounds familiar, hee hee).

I enjoy this group as Comedy Central. However, I ask for respect to Elecraft. They listen and act. Not right away as they get too many requests, many of them minute, but they do.

I got KX3. Very smart design but problems initially. The antenna tuner would switch out in the middle of QSO and speech processor was ineffective. I tried to raise points and was initially ignored or criticized by "yes-sayers".   After persistence and some time, Elecraft came with 2 successive improvements to AT and to speech processing.  I wish ICOM had corrected speech processing in IC-7000...

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2013, 07:40:39 PM »

Cool why the arguing? Its like saying  "i don't like you cause you don't talk on an Icom, or Yeasu or blah, blah, blah! who cares? enjoy the hobby with whatever you want to enjoy it with!

Arguing is what the internet was invented for.  You should take a look at early Usenet archives, people have been arguing about inane stuff on the internet for over a third of a century and it will continue until the internet ceases to exist.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2013, 06:43:17 AM »

Had a QSO with a new 6700 owner yesterday. He caused quite a stir on 40m with the regular crowd around S. Texas and Louisiana, and there were several stations jumping in and asking lots of questions about Flex in general. Seems there's a lot of interest around here in a radio that's manufactured just up the road.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2013, 08:40:53 PM »

Lo and behold, today, yet another San Antonio ham heard on a 6700. These things are getting popular around here..

I did learn something about them that gave pause..  Apparently it's back to audio cables for digital modes, since the processing has moved back in to the radio itself.

Not sure if I like that...

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: