Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery power for FT-817  (Read 6531 times)
M5AEO

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:38:11 PM »

Can anyone recommend a lightweight battery for the FT-817 when going portable?  Even running 2.5 watts, the built in battery seems to last a VERY short time.  I have got some 7Ah sealed lead acid batteries, but they are very heavy to carry.
I will be running SSB rather than FM so that should help battery life.  A direct replacement that would fit inside the radio would be ideal.  Does anyone know of such a battery?

Many thanks,
Jonathan, M5AEO, London.

WE2F

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 06:12:33 AM »

Not much lighter, but W4RT (http://www.w4rt.com/) makes a 2700 mAh direct replacement that lasts a lot longer. I've seen several people also use the Buddipole 4S1P battery, but I have no real-world experience with it.
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 06:46:53 AM »

I use a little 3ah, 12v SLA battery when I hike. 

If you remove the rechargeable battery from the 817, you essentially gain back about 1/2 the weight of the outboard battery.

With it, I have been able to operate CW at 2.5 watts for hours.

Brad
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 09:29:29 PM »

I use a 4AH SLA for my Icom 703, and a GoalZero solar panel to keep it charged during daylight hours.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 12:11:44 AM »

I use the stock battery but must also endorse the GoalZero solar panels.  Well made, nice units and they have both 5v USB and 13.8v outputs.
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 07:21:52 PM »

Jonathan :

I am not sure if there is a dealer for these in the UK (they are made in the USA)

http://antigravitybatteries.com/ag-401/

Compared to other Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries these are very reasonably priced.  You will need
proper charger. My experience is that 5Ah minimum capacity is about right with the FT-817 for a days outing.

I also recommend reading KA7OEI's web page on FT-817 power consumption :

http://www.ka7oei.com/ft817_pwr.html

There are quite a number of tricks to reducing battery consumption while operating portable
(like using the front BNC connector rather than the rear SO-239 ... draws an extra 30ma to
energize a non-latching relay).

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB

Can anyone recommend a lightweight battery for the FT-817 when going portable?  Even running 2.5 watts, the built in battery seems to last a VERY short time.  I have got some 7Ah sealed lead acid batteries, but they are very heavy to carry.
I will be running SSB rather than FM so that should help battery life.  A direct replacement that would fit inside the radio would be ideal.  Does anyone know of such a battery?

Many thanks,
Jonathan, M5AEO, London.

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 07:26:24 AM »

These are nice and have terminals ready to go, and are in an aluminum enclosure:

http://www.batteryspace.com/LiFePO4-26650-Motorcycle-Battery-12V-6Ah-72Wh-140A-rate-in-Aluminum-Box.aspx
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 02:33:33 AM »

I am not sure if there is a dealer for these in the UK (they are made in the USA)

http://antigravitybatteries.com/ag-401/

Man oh man that is a SWEET battery for portable QRP ops!
It's expensive, as is the special charger......
But I still want one...or two.. (But can I afford it?)  Grin
73, Ken  AD6KA
M5AEO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 03:18:46 PM »

Oh wow!  I really wish those Antigravity batteries were available in the UK, they look like the best solution for portable working.
I would imagine they cannot be posted overseas though.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. 
73s M5AEO

N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 07:12:22 AM »

Tried posting this  but kept getting errors.  First a timeout, then a warning that it was a multiple post, then a warning that I posted previously with 15 seconds from the same IP...

But when I did a refresh it's not there...So here goes again!

Has anyone tried using the battery packs for R/C helicoptors like a Hexakopter?  They are small, lightweight, and have a ton of power. 

Unfortunately they cost well over $200, and take chargers like the Hyperion for another $200+ 

Still, if you have one already...
K1THP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 03:33:11 PM »

N1OLO has a small business that sells a lipo battery that fits into the FT817 with a charger and costs about $60. It also includes a new battery door with a switch so the radio can be stored with no drain from the battery. The battery life using casual operating time and a lot of listening on my vacation was over 2 weeks! quite an improve ment from the original pack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: