Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ic-706 external speak plug problem  (Read 747 times)
W4QNW

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2013, 08:12:25 AM »

the little external speaker plug on the head unit
lost almost all of its power.  cant use headphones
or speaker...AUDIO TOO WEAK.

the speaker on the power unit is OK.
but thats back in the trunk area...

any ideas..HuhHuh??

please email solution to

W4QNW AT AOL   THANKS AND 73
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 08:28:38 AM »

First thing I'd want to know is if I had output back at the source, in the trunk. 

So I'd take a set of headphones or perhaps a small speaker that had the same connector on it back to the trunk, disconnect the wiring to front and plug in there, see if the sound happens. 

If it does, suspect something in the wiring forward to the front of vehicle, or the spkr itself. 

When disconnected in rear, the speaker line can be rung with an ohmmeter on the low ohms scale, looking for a reasonable resistance of wire length plus voice coil of speaker.  Say 10 ohms or less, "or so".  Use of a small battery, AA or 9V, across the disconnected spkr leads to "scratch" the speaker and internal wiring, listening for the spkr up front to crackle, can also quickly check out those connections and the spkr voice coil at the same time.  Plugging the spkr line into a cheap transistor radio's earphone jack if the plugs are the same is another way to check, but don't turn the volume of the radio up all the way if you don't hear anything, for a short in that line could then damage the radio's output stage.  It is NEVER a good idea to turn volume controls up to troubleshoot missing audio, but people insist on that dangerously expensive practice, unfortunately.  The problem is that the solid state transformerless power amp can respong a heckuva lot faster than you and your hand, the transistor will be shorted and gone before you can turn that volume back down again. 

This is likely an easy troubleshoot if you just take your time and work towards isolating where the fault lies as per the above suggestions. 

N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 04:51:17 AM »

Typical IC-706 Issue , (pending your speaker and/or speaker wires are ok), the speaker jack lost its ground trace (solder broke free) from the contact on the jack to the board. Most likely from wiggling it. I would guess from history repairing them on a constant basis , it is indeed broke and needs soldered.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: