Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-706MK2G Intermittently turning off then immediately turns back on  (Read 11034 times)
N4YNU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 08:04:51 PM »

Service manuals can be downloaded from the internet for free.The service manual will provide you with part numbers .My 706mk2g serial number is in the area of 1,507,000.I down loaded my copy from Rigpix.Do a search for Icom Ic-760mk2g rubber pads you will find pictures.73's de WT0V

Did the search for the rubber pads on Google and no results at all , any other suggestions ?

Thanks

Guy
N4YNU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 08:18:23 PM »

Service manuals can be downloaded from the internet for free.The service manual will provide you with part numbers .My 706mk2g serial number is in the area of 1,507,000.I down loaded my copy from Rigpix.Do a search for Icom Ic-760mk2g rubber pads you will find pictures.73's de WT0V

Did the search for the rubber pads on Google and no results at all , any other suggestions ?

Thanks

Guy

Found it - http://www.n1eq.com/tech/page_03.html , had to replace the "2" in MK2G to MKiiG and I got it  , Thanks

Guy
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 06:51:54 AM »

Good websearching Guy, that page shows in pictures exactly the sort of thing I've found in certain 706's that have crossed my testbench and was trying to explain in words to you.  I bookmarked it for future use in helping others. 

N4YNU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 09:01:54 AM »

Good websearching Guy, that page shows in pictures exactly the sort of thing I've found in certain 706's that have crossed my testbench and was trying to explain in words to you.  I bookmarked it for future use in helping others. 

Well .................... wen all evening yesterday with no more restarting and upon powering on this morning it powered off and back on 5 times in a row after being on for about 60 seconds , this is quite the frustrating mess I have here , going to pull the PA Board and look for that rubber pad issue today , I tried to contact N1EQ to see if I could send it to him or if he had any other ideas and he is not accepting any incoming emails or work until after Labor Day ..................... so going to pull the PA Board and look for the pad issue or maybe a cold solder joint at the relay or otherwise that could be causing this , I do not have a scope or signal generators , just a nice multimeter and less patience than I had a week ago .

I am considering sending back to ICOM since it is surely doing it more often maybe they can find it but it takes a week to get there and then 14 days to get a estimate and there is no guarantee they will know what it is either .

Anyone else that may have a suggestion please let me know , Thankyou

Guy
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 09:21:18 AM »

Other than ribbons which I see all the time, one other test you can try. When you have the radio ON and wiggle the head unit , does the problem show up? Sometimes the 4 gold contacts that are spring loaded do not hit the pads on the head. I have only seen this a few times.
N4YNU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 09:44:50 AM »

Other than ribbons which I see all the time, one other test you can try. When you have the radio ON and wiggle the head unit , does the problem show up? Sometimes the 4 gold contacts that are spring loaded do not hit the pads on the head. I have only seen this a few times.

I have done that as well and treated with De0xit also , it seems the one thing that has reproduced the issue is the pink colored ribbon on the right side of the main board as I manipulated it and the radio shut down while powered up as it would normally do with the issue , after removing and re-inserting treated also with Deoxit I do not have that issue , it seems every time I go into the radio that it behaves for a extended period of time before returning and of late it seems to be present "cold" more so than once warm , I did the fan mod which keeps it cooler but the issue stills seems to be more present on cold start-up rather than after on and warm , sounds like a cold solder joint to me at this point as a component failure would most likely be opposite failing more under a working/operating load , my opinion , but if it is the rubber pad issue or maybe the sony bond glue issue then it may just be breaking down to the point where temp expansion may be aiding the issue , I have no clue but will pull the PA Board and check for the rubber pad issue and other glue issues , on mine I do not see any sony bond on the PA Board anywhere , the only thing I see bonded is one small cap which has some whitish foam bonding agent on it and not sure why to be honest as it does not seem to be needed there as it is in the middle of nothing , so getting ready to pull the PA Board and look further , maybe I will find a bad solder joint to the relay or may be the fuse , I have replaced the fuse also and when I did that it stopped for 2 days that time so maybe I have a bad joint on the underside of that board .................. I'm going in !
Any other suggestions are Welcome , not that I want to find something bad but I hope I find something .

Also I have a question , the foam pads I see removed , it does not show that they were replaced , should they not be replaced ? I would think so but given the issues what would one use to replace them ?
I realize I do not even know if I have an issue yet but was curious about that as all the researching I have done into issues on this radio trying to solve this , everyone that relates to the pad/glue does not show it being replaced , I also realize that the trace repair with a insulated wire would afford some standoff protection in itself , so maybe that is what they are counting on as opposed to replacing.

Guy
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 03:03:59 PM »

...it seems the one thing that has reproduced the issue is the pink colored ribbon on the right side of the main board as I manipulated it and the radio shut down while powered up as it would normally do with the issue , after removing and re-inserting treated also with Deoxit I do not have that issue...

The good troubleshooting detective learns to never disregard a clue. 

In this case, your clue is that pink ribbon cable, or perhaps the soldering to one of the pins on either end of the cable at the connectors. 

Those laminated ribbons can also suffer from interior breaks that will make and break contact with thermal expansion.  This seems to happen mostly on those where the factory creased the ribbon with a fold.  Often is the case that one can grasp the ribbon with needlenose or tweezers and slightly flex it and make the fault happen, proving the fault to be in the cable itself,. 

I've used wirewrap wire, stripped at each end, to bypass a single broken trace in a flex cable by soldering that wire from pin to pin on the connector.  Not a pretty cure and makes disassembly a bit slower, but can make the darn thing work while awaiting a new part and in some certain cases on my own gear, I call that the repair and button it up, figuring that I can undo anything that I did later if the need arises. 

N4YNU

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »

Well I found that the PLL Board Rubber Pads were the culprit , fixed , and was testing , had no further issues even on cold start and then the HF Mosfet shorted , I cannot take anymore , I am done with this radio , it is now a boat anchor , but I did learn allot about the issues and the radio , it was a gift with a issue and now a boat anchor , I am sad but will just save up some money and get a new radio as I do not want a used radio for the same reason as I do not know what could have been done to it .............. Thanks everyone for your help and ideas , it proved fruitful , but I think it is time to retire this rig before it aggravates me further .

Thank Again

Guy
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 04:46:14 PM »

Sorry to hear that.  

Take heart in the fact that most of us have let the smoke out of things and are likely to do so again.  

The other day at work I managed to brick a three thousand dollar video receiver. 

Under warranty.  Had to order up the whole cpu board, they don't sell the eeprom loaded up, but at least they offer an exchange on the boards. 

After a while, you get so you take a certain weird sort of pride in such things...

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 04:49:04 PM by KE3WD » Logged
N4YNU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 08:07:22 PM »

Sorry to hear that.  

Take heart in the fact that most of us have let the smoke out of things and are likely to do so again.  

The other day at work I managed to brick a three thousand dollar video receiver. 

Under warranty.  Had to order up the whole cpu board, they don't sell the eeprom loaded up, but at least they offer an exchange on the boards. 

After a while, you get so you take a certain weird sort of pride in such things...

I honestly do not think I caused it to be honest , but if I did then I have to take the rap , I do not have the scopes and such anymore but I am very careful , I think it has just had a good life LOL , it is very old and it had been used constantly so I truly believe it was a coincidence , I was so hoping to revive it .....................

TAPS
It was a good radio

God Bless

Guy  Smiley
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 02:16:39 PM »

Don't overlook its value as a PARTS RADIO, that could help some ham restore their 706 and get back on the air. 

Thanks for the well wishes and God Bless right back atcha, sir! 

Enjoy the search for that new replacement. 

N4YNU

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 08:38:59 AM »

Don't overlook its value as a PARTS RADIO, that could help some ham restore their 706 and get back on the air. 

Thanks for the well wishes and God Bless right back atcha, sir! 

Enjoy the search for that new replacement. 

I will not throw away , I am buying a 7100 , and after I recover from that financial expense I just may restore it myself as a backup radio , I really like the radio , before I had to go off the air it is what I used , fantastic rig , if nothing else I may remove the mosfet for the time being and use it as a receiver only Smiley

Guy
K4KJC

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 07:17:15 PM »

Guy, I have anIC706MK2G which exhibited the same symptoms you are describing, then mine went dead completely, would not power up at all.  Sent it off to my favorite repair shop and they found that resistor R591 on PA board had failed, and it also had the famous corrosive traces on the PL board.  Unit was repaired and returned to me and all was well.  All the other suggestions that were sent to you are valid issues and one of them could very well be all or part of your problem.  Just thought I would forward my story in case it will help.   Good luck,

Mike/K4KJC
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: