Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable receiver  (Read 7240 times)
W8CWS

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »

Hello,
I am just getting into QRP and wondering about using a portable receiver like the Grundig G3 for communications and experimenting with just the transmitters and antennas without having to try building a receiver. Seems like the receiver would be a good check to keep me on frequency. Anyone tried this with any success?
W8CWS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 04:11:40 PM »

Well I guess this is the QRP forum and I'm not getting out!!! Embarrassed Does any one know about the portable receivers and can they be used as a communication receiver?

Thanks,
Chuck
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 05:50:11 PM »

HF amateur radio uses primarily SSB and CW. Your receiver should "work" for that. The benefits of a communications receiver (or transceiver) is that you'll have finer tuning, narrower filter selections, muting during transmit and probably better stability. Regardless, you could certainly use your receiver to get started along with a low power CW or SSB transmitter.
W8CWS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 06:06:29 PM »

Thanks, that was the information I was looking for, I am retired and on a fixed income so can't afford high quality receivers. I tried the boat anchor route but I was too much for me. The QRP cw sounds like the best for me and the small receivers have a few of the modern upgrades like PLL and shouldn't drift much so I think I'll be satisfied with this. The transceiver kits are locked to on frequency so if I want to just SWL or look for more activity I stuck with one of those kits.

Thanks,
chuck
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 02:50:30 AM »

FWIW: I use my 30+ year old SONY ICF 7600D SW receiver for just such a purpose. It has the cw/ssb switch with fine tune and digital read out and no drift. This is my favorite so called test instrument when building qrp rigs, I put it about 30 ft. outside my shack window with volume up(hooked up to what ever antenna is available) and check signal/tone from my rig on a dummy load. I also occasionally use it in conjunction with my old home brew novice 6l6 qrp 40m transmitter just for fun with local tri state contacts.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 12:12:56 AM »

The Icom R20 is a great rig and does DC to daylight, all modes.  Really slick little piece of gear.
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 06:11:39 PM »

FWIW: I use my 30+ year old SONY ICF 7600D SW receiver for just such a purpose.
Funny...I was just thinking of the Sony '7600 I used to keep by the bed and listen to the ham bands on at night...and that I'd hate to use it for QSOs!  ;-)

Actually, I guess it would be doable, just not as convenient as a communications RX.  Certainly the selectivity wouldn't be very good.

What boat anchors did you try, and what was the problem?  I've got an old Drake R4 that I got for around 180 bucks that sounds great, and is a pretty good RX...works nicely with a Tuna Tin 2!  I did have to replace the electrolytic caps in it, but that wasn't a bad job at all.  It's ham-bands only, but SW bands can be covered with crystals to tune 500 kHz segments...or a "crystal eliminator" could be built or purchased.  Maybe something like a Yaesu FRG-7 would work for you...

Also, there are some VFO/VXO type QRP transceiver kits out there, so not all are fixed in frequency.

W8CWS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 06:31:05 AM »

I bought a Grundig G3 and I think it will be fine for what I want to do. I need to build a filter as I live within a mile of a radio station but otherwise I am able to copy cw fine and it seem to be as selective as the Yeasu 817 I had. I had a Johnson 2 and a Hallicrafters sx101 both needed recapped and was to much for me. I had a Novice license in 1955 and was rockbound then and thats the kind of fun I am looking for Plus experimenting with small transmitters and antennas.
Thanks for all your help.
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 10:07:50 AM »

The Ten Tec Any Band Direct Conversion Receiver Kit (model 1056) would be a good fit for this type of operation, and is only $39.
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 12:51:56 PM »

... I am looking ... experimenting with small transmitters and antennas.

Here's a link for a "Radio Kit Guide"  that list Rx / Xmtr at
LINK: http://fofio.blogspot.com/2013/02/radio-kit-guide.html

Good Luck!

73 de WA2ONH dit dit    ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 07:19:43 AM »

I have a K2 with a lot of options.

I was going to get the internal battery option, but I don't use it that much where I would need it.  In the house I keep it hooked to a small gel cell.

But when I do something like camping or on the deck with a beverage (NOT an antenna) I have one of those car 'jump start' things about the size of a kids lunchbox.  I think it's a 7AH battery in the thing.  Works great for portable operation.  I have the built-in ATU and have a 40M dipole made with 24ga wire and fed with very light duty 300 ohm twinlead.  Then use a BNC to to binding post adapter to hook to the radio.  Easy to use hemp twine to throw it in the trees and then just yank it down when done.

Now I also have an FT-817 with an Elecraft T1 tuner and PIC interface as well.  And I just ordered a car plug cable for the thing to use the same battery pack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: