Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What APRS Software are you using.  (Read 43779 times)
VK2ICJ

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2013, 07:03:24 PM »

Greetings all,

I have recently found need to use APRS again after a decade or so away from it.  I plugged in my KPC3+ to my old Kenwood radio along with a version of UIView that I had and it all worked without flaw.  In reality the software is easy to understand and works well however is now getting very dated since the author passed away.  I like the idea of googlemaps integrated.  My map in UIView gets clogged up too quick because it covers to much area.  I would like to zoom in some.  I cannot find any street level maps for Sydney Australia for UIView.  I downloaded APRS-IS and that seemed to work somewhat as well if I used Windows XP mode (I have Win7 and Win8 on different machines) The problem there was when I identified my port that the KPC3 is on it would not let me transmit,, worked great through the internet but not via rf.  Ok so this leads me to the reason I am posting.  What software do you use?   I really like the idea of being able to use google maps so I can zoom in on an area and see street level details.

Thank you and 73

Chris
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 10:12:37 AM »

I usually use http://www.aprs.fi/ when I'm near a desktop machine and APRSDroid on my phone when mobile. Other than that I just use the internal UI for my TM-d700 and TH-d72. I used to use Xastir on my desktop and laptop (I run Linux), but the authors feel it is a right of passage to get it working reliably so I just gave up on it.

<rant> There seems to be a lack of progress on APRS software. We got to mapping and just came to a halt. I'd love to see some advanced messaging program developed along the lines of a twitter or IM like application. Maybe something that can aggregate weather station data, or just an easy way to run a spotting network on the fly. Instead we have a bunch of people beaconing their position to a bunch of people who don't care.
VK2ICJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 04:19:36 PM »

Thank you for the reply.

I was hoping in the last decade or so that I have beeen away that the APRS community would have some really good software out there.  I do like the http://www.aprs.fi/  site and I use it now to see that my station is being heard.  My intended use now is for my models.  I am both into Model Rocketry and RC aircraft.  There is a company http://www.bigredbee.com/   Big Red Bee that makes the transmitters.  What I am looking for is a way to have a small portable APRS station that can display where my craft is.  I am thinking that the Yaesu VX8GR or Kenwood 72a is the way to go but was looking for a way to do it on the cheap with gear I already have.  There seems to be plenty of little Trackers out there but I need a little Trackee  lol

Cheers Mate 73

Chris
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:10:43 PM »

Don't be so quick to discount APRSDroid. it can encode/decode AFSK audio from any 2Meter radio and if you have a KISS TNC can connect to it via Bluetooth serial connection. With Android phones coming out every few weeks it should be fairly easy to pick one up without a SIM card for a few bucks, or use a cheap tablet like a Nexus 7.

If you go the bluetooth serial route (and APRSDroid) and need a radio look for a used TH-d7 since it has an RS-232 like serial output that will interface with experimenter-ready Bluetooth adapters. The TH-d72 uses USB (and a chip that doesn't work with Android... and a manufacturer who has no interest in releasing drivers for it). Can't speak to the interfacing ability of the VX8 but I've heard Yaesu is getting better with supporting APRS in their radios.

http://aprsdroid.org/

Of course if you're just doing a pure tracking play, a TH-d72 will work ok on it's own. I'm not entirely sure if you can track a station in the way you want, but for sure it will tell you course distance and speed for any position report sent. I don't know if it will update that object's position when it gets an update or not. My TM-d700 for sure will only point to the position report you select, not the position of the object you want to track. I'll have to try it out on my TH-d72 and let you know... and now I want to find out anyway.
VK2ICJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 09:54:17 PM »

Ok so if I am reading this right then..  I still need either a TNC or a radio with a serial port to decode APRS packets?  There is no cable that I can plug into the computer and straight to the radio?    I was hoping to get a picopak but it looks like they have not been made for a while.

Chris
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 05:23:14 AM »

If you want to continue using UIView you can purchase/download the AGW Packet Engine from http://www.sv2agw.com/ham/agwpe.htm. I haven't used it in years but when I did it worked very well. You should plan on building/buying a soundcard interface, and getting it to key an HT could be tricky. But if you're just using it purely for monitoring you should be able to just use an audio cable between the PC and the radio.

At the time, $50 for a software TNC was a deal (it used to be that the pay version had a better decoder than the free one, check to make sure that's still the case). Today you might do better with KISS TNC like http://tnc-x.com/ or http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak4/. Note that these are kits, but fairly easy with no

And you could still go with a TH-d72... super simple cabling just USB to your PC and tell UIView what com port it's on. No need to set up audio levels or timing. Put the TH-d72 in KISS Mode and you're golden. Downside is that it's very expensive if you're just going to use it for tracking a balloon.

Good luck, lots of options.
K1OC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 05:54:41 PM »

Try APRSISCE/64. http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

It's an excellent replacement for UI-View and works just fine on Windows 7.

Tony
K1OC
VK2ICJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 02:32:30 AM »

Try APRSISCE/64. http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

It's an excellent replacement for UI-View and works just fine on Windows 7.

Tony
K1OC

Hi Tony

It might be,,, but I cannot get it to work with my KPC3+   I have the TNC working fine in UIView and I turn that program off and start up APRSISCE and configure the ports exactly how they are on UIView and then enable it and nothing lol..   I thought newer would be easier.

Chris
K1OC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 07:41:49 PM »

Hi Chris,

I cannot get it to work with my KPC3+

Hmm.  I took my setup down to move, so I'm afraid I can't give you my settings. I seem to recall the KPC3+ has to be in KISS mode, though. Have you tried that?

Tony
K1OC
K2ZA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 08:58:53 PM »

If you go the bluetooth serial route (and APRSDroid) and need a radio look for a used TH-d7 since it has an RS-232 like serial output that will interface with experimenter-ready Bluetooth adapters. The TH-d72 uses USB (and a chip that doesn't work with Android... and a manufacturer who has no interest in releasing drivers for it).

Actually, the TH-D72 retains the same serial connection as the D7, the micro USB is in addition to...

73 de John K2ZA
VK2ICJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 11:51:20 PM »

Thanks Tony

Yes the KPC is in Kiss mode as it has to be for UIVIEW.    On APRSICE it says the port is ok but it does not show any stations being heard nor when I press the transmit button does anything happen on the TNC or Radio.  The software shows a beacon but nothing physical happens. 

Chris

Hi Chris,

I cannot get it to work with my KPC3+

Hmm.  I took my setup down to move, so I'm afraid I can't give you my settings. I seem to recall the KPC3+ has to be in KISS mode, though. Have you tried that?

Tony
K1OC
K1OC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 06:03:48 AM »

The software shows a beacon but nothing physical happens.  

OK, it's going to be a few weeks before I can put my station back together, but if you haven't solved it by then, I will try to post how I have it set up.

I actually really like UI-View and still use it, but as I'm sure you know, the source code was destroyed when the author sadly went SK, so it is no longer being developed.  APRSISCE is under active development and uses OpenStreetMaps, which makes finding/creating useful a maps a snap, so it's worth trying to figure out how to make it work.

Oh, one thing to do in the meantime is to join the APRSISCE Yahoo Group if you haven't done so already.

Tony
k1OC
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:33:34 AM by K1OC » Logged
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 06:41:12 PM »

If you go the bluetooth serial route (and APRSDroid) and need a radio look for a used TH-d7 since it has an RS-232 like serial output that will interface with experimenter-ready Bluetooth adapters. The TH-d72 uses USB (and a chip that doesn't work with Android... and a manufacturer who has no interest in releasing drivers for it).

Actually, the TH-D72 retains the same serial connection as the D7, the micro USB is in addition to...

73 de John K2ZA

Are you sure about that? I thought it was for a weather station or AVer map GPS. Check menu 3-3-1 and 3-3-2 if you have the radio. I hope I'm wrong, so I can connect up to my phone via Bluetooth adapter...
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 08:22:52 AM »

On the TNC /APRSISCE issue, you might look at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration. There may be a step you are missing.
VK2ICJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »

On the TNC /APRSISCE issue, you might look at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration. There may be a step you are missing.

I am sure it is something I am doing or rather not doing, but I have yet to figure it out.  I tried again last night for about an hour and gave up. I reloaded UIView and off it went.  On a Side note I loaded UISS and it worked as well as UIView.  Shame about APRSISCE because I do like the look of it.

Chris
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: