Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What APRS Software are you using.  (Read 39088 times)
KS1G

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 11:30:44 AM »

I've been updating myself about APRS (seems to be an annual ritual associated with our club's support of a local cycling event) and packet (was hoping to work ISS on Field Day).  Discovered 2 programs that eliminate hardware TNC,  and may need only minimal interface hardware. 

Dire Wolf (Windows, Linux) is a software-based TNC that decodes/encodes using the computer soundcard.  Version 0.8 is latest (Auguts 2013).  Supports AGWPE and KISS emulation.  Can be used alone but is designed to work with other software with better user interface.  I just came across Yet Another APRS Client (YAAC).  Java program, should run on almost anything with a GUI and JRE 6 or later.  Dire Wolf 0.8 added YAAC support. Got both working with my FT857 and SignaLink last night.  The SignaLink has an internal sound card and generates PTT, so you only need one USB port from the host PC and can use the PC sound card with other applications.  I plan to try them with my netbook and a RigBlaster Nomic using the PC soundcard, and see if it works with straight-through cabled and the VOX setting on an old FT-209 2M HT that's only useful for APRS (no CTCSS).   YAAC uses OpenStreetMaps and can run stand-alone or with internet connection.  Has variety of views and displays - seems to have a rich feature set.  Unlike UI-View, both Dire Wolf and YAAC are under active development. 

I also came across APRSPoint.  Haven't looked at it yet, so no opinions.
VK2ICJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 06:02:12 PM »

I've been updating myself about APRS (seems to be an annual ritual associated with our club's support of a local cycling event) and packet (was hoping to work ISS on Field Day).  Discovered 2 programs that eliminate hardware TNC,  and may need only minimal interface hardware. 

Dire Wolf (Windows, Linux) is a software-based TNC that decodes/encodes using the computer soundcard.  Version 0.8 is latest (Auguts 2013).  Supports AGWPE and KISS emulation.  Can be used alone but is designed to work with other software with better user interface.  I just came across Yet Another APRS Client (YAAC).  Java program, should run on almost anything with a GUI and JRE 6 or later.  Dire Wolf 0.8 added YAAC support. Got both working with my FT857 and SignaLink last night.  The SignaLink has an internal sound card and generates PTT, so you only need one USB port from the host PC and can use the PC sound card with other applications.  I plan to try them with my netbook and a RigBlaster Nomic using the PC soundcard, and see if it works with straight-through cabled and the VOX setting on an old FT-209 2M HT that's only useful for APRS (no CTCSS).   YAAC uses OpenStreetMaps and can run stand-alone or with internet connection.  Has variety of views and displays - seems to have a rich feature set.  Unlike UI-View, both Dire Wolf and YAAC are under active development. 

I also came across APRSPoint.  Haven't looked at it yet, so no opinions.

Thank you.   I will have a look at these programs.  Currently I was able to find a more suitable map for UIView so that is what I have been using because I could not get APRSISCE Working.  Which is a shame.
W9BU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »

APRSISCE/32 works great and is a very full-featured APRS client. I've used it regularly with a Kenwood TM-D710 and used it in the past with a Kantronics KPC3. I remember some talk in the APRSISCE/32 Yahoo group about people have problems with their KPC3s, but I think they were able to get that worked out. Your best bet is to join the Yahoo group and ask there.

BTW, the developer of APRSISCE/32 is now working on an Android version.

APRSpoint is good program, but it is lacking a few features. It knows nothing of KISS, so you can't use the program for digipeating. It also does not have the ability to generate APRS objects. The biggest issue, though, is that it appears that the developer has abandoned the program. He does not participate in the APRSpoint Yahoo group and there have been no updates to the program in a year or so.

UI-View is the grand-daddy among Windows APRS clients. It's still a viable program and very well supported by the user community. However, time and the Microsoft Windows OS will continue to pass it by.
VK2ICJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 07:11:18 AM »

I am determined to get this APRSISCE/32 working, however it has been put on the back burner for now as other projects have become prioritized.  I did get some more local maps that work with UIView and they suffice for now.

Chris
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 03:43:30 PM »

I tried to install APRSISCE/64 and all I got was a flashing gray block with a small blue box in it.  I am using a windows 7 HP Mini 110 netbook.

Randy ka4nma
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 03:05:17 AM »

Most of the time, I simply use UISS. Seldomly do I have a need for positioning, but UISS has rudimentary mapping built-in. Carrying out QSOs with UISS is simple and straightforward.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 06:44:30 AM »

Randy,
I may have had the same thing happen!  The solution that worked for me was to extract the download into a directory and run the instal from there.  The download file was in 'zip' form and 'Win-7' doesn't like operating from that format.  Had the same thing happen for the '32' bit version so it isn't a matter with that.  If you don't 'un-zip it' you end up with a mess. (pun intended)
 - Paul
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »

With APRSISCE/32, the Transmit button is not an instruction to transmit, but rather it's enabling transmission.  As APRSISCE starts it presents a zoomed in map you you to verify your location.  You do that verification with the Transmit button.

You must not have the RF portion of it enabled as well.  By default, it's setup to provide Internet APRS packet exchanges.  You need to Enable RF after properly configuring your station.  Visit the APRSISCE WiKi others have referenced in this thread.  I will admit, the software is not initially the most intuitive, but once you get it up and running, you'll be convinced of it's versatility.  The curve isn't too steep.  So stick with it.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: