Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap handhelds lead to bootleggers?  (Read 7953 times)
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 03:08:05 PM »

I prefer to support the companies that invest in R&D and bring us fantastic radios -- HF and up.  I can't imagine they make a ton of money off of amateur radio sales, but I like what they do, and I want them to keep doing it.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »

I use a UV 5 for 2, 440,  FM broadcast, and as a scanner.  Works fine.  Anyone who can't find a reverse SMA isn''t looking very hard.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 05:22:02 AM »

I prefer to support the companies that invest in R&D and bring us fantastic radios -- HF and up.  I can't imagine they make a ton of money off of amateur radio sales, but I like what they do, and I want them to keep doing it.

+1
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 08:49:59 AM »

Yes, it was right after they came out, and the quality could have improved since then, but I'll never try another one.  That's why I'm so dead set against them in my posts here.

Your comments and offensive against Baofengs remind me of when the Japanese HamRadios first hit the market. Hams were using Drakes and Swans and other American made gear.

The hams that bought a Kenwood TS-520 or Yaesu FT-101 were getting a lot of derision from Hams that had American radios. Jap Crap and Rice Boxes were common terms being used.

Then the Hams found out how great these radios were. The rest is history.

The same thing seems to be happening with the China Radios. Hams that now own "Jap Crap" are ridiculing the the China Radios. Is history going to be repeated? I do not know. Perhaps when China unveils the all band HF SDR with knobs and builtin Panafall, no computer needed,all for under $500, the Jap Crap radios will follow the Drakes, Swans, Halicrafters, Hammurlund and many others into forgotten history.

If someone builds a better mousetrap and sells it cheaper than anyone else people are going to buy. Just a fact of any business.

I have owned a Baofeng for about 6 months. At the time I was HT-less, having sold a Kenwood F-6 and Yaesu. I figure what the hell the Baefeng UV-5R+ was only $42, spare LI-ION spare battery for $12 I was not going to lose much. Free shipping also as I got it from Amazon.

I have been pleasantly surprised. The xmit audio of the Baofeng is better than any HT I have owned and I have owned dozens in my ham career.The Baofeng actually sounds like a base radio, not a HT. The RX audio is excellent too and LOUD too with very little distortion. The Battery seems to last forever. I mean battery life is superb, better than any HT I have ever seen. Is it reliable? Yep so far and I have dropped it twice.

Do I wish it was made in America? Of course. But it is not. That saddens me.

Will I continue to buy China Ham Gear? Sure. Like all Hams I am cheap. I want Value for my $$$ and the China HT's provide excellent value.

So attack the China Radios all you like. The Times they are a Changin. Just remember the American Radios, Jap Crap and Rice Boxes and how that turned out...

Stan K9IUQ

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 11:21:51 AM »

I guess part of the question is whether or not you want to pay more for 'Made in America' and less in tax to pay for Social Security for Americans without jobs, or vice-versa.

Knowing the way tax systems work, buying from abroad is probably more expensive in the long run for you as a tax payer. However, the only sure things are death and taxes, and with modern medicine, even death isn't so certain....
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 12:09:21 PM »

I guess part of the question is whether or not you want to pay more for 'Made in America' and less in tax to pay for Social Security for Americans without jobs, or vice-versa.

In spite of what you may have heard Social Security and or Medicare is not an entitlement paid for by others. Every week I worked, Social Security Taxes were taken out of my paycheck. I had no choice in the matter. The same with Medicare. Every week Medicare taxes were taken out of my paycheck. I had no choice in the matter.

Now that I am old I get Social Security and Medicare Benefits. I love both. I am getting my money back finally after the government having it for umpteen years...

Stan K9IUQ
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 04:38:41 PM »

Your comments and offensive against Baofengs remind me of when the Japanese HamRadios first hit the market. Hams were using Drakes and Swans and other American made gear.

The hams that bought a Kenwood TS-520 or Yaesu FT-101 were getting a lot of derision from Hams that had American radios. Jap Crap and Rice Boxes were common terms being used.

Then the Hams found out how great these radios were. The rest is history....

No, not quite.  At first, the Japanese industries were guilty of inferior assembly and products, and the sales rates of their stuff started to nosedive.  They looked to the US--and to our quality (yes, back then our stuff WAS good, and our manufacturing processes was second to almost none) and took a page from our processes.  They made a vow that they would be the first in manufacturing, quality and sales one day, then they worked toward keeping that vow.  BTW, this wasn't just for ham radios, it was for their cars, appliances and sooner or later, just about anything else they made.

That's when we took notice, and when our manufacturing started to slide--trying to keep up with their quality AND ALSO beat their prices, and that's when the quality of their stuff was really noticed by us and when we started to buy it.  And that, sir, is where the saying that "Japan hasn't won the war--yet" came from.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 04:42:20 PM by K1CJS » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 04:57:21 PM »

Knowing the way tax systems work, buying from abroad is probably more expensive in the long run for you as a tax payer. However, the only sure things are death and taxes, and with modern medicine, even death isn't so certain....

How about if you want to send your hard earned money to a country who is manipulating their currency in order to weaken ours?  (Although I speak of the US, that applies to almost every country where the Chinese goods influx is happening.)  That's what you're doing every time you buy Chinese goods.  That certainly isn't helping our country or our workers, but the blind seekers of the lower prices either don't see that--or simply don't care.  

Maybe if China would play the trade game more like Japan and our other trading partners do, the resistance to their goods by those who see the truth would go away.  Don't look for anything like that to happen anytime soon, though.

Reminds me of an old saying--"There is no man who is more blind as one who refuses to see."
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 05:21:30 PM »

How about if you want to send your hard earned money to a country who is manipulating their currency in order to weaken ours?

Well, what country are we supposed to buy our home stereo systems from?

Our flat panel TVs?

Our toaster ovens?

Our clock radios?

Just about anything electronic you can think of? Or toys or gadgets or ... you name it.

It's a little too late to do much about it now, so I don't think worrying about what country I  buy my HT from is going to change much.  Undecided

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 05:57:12 PM »

Well, what country are we supposed to buy

or ... you name it.

It's a little too late to do much about it now, so I don't think worrying about what country I  buy my HT from is going to change much.  Undecided

Or the shirt off your back, the Wrangler Jeans, the nice white socks you wear and those beautiful comfortable sandals or sneakers you got on. And 80 percent of what you buy from Walmart.

Or the Food you eat - Chinese Buffets in America are good places to eat cheaply. and most of them have American Food on the Buffets for those that do not like Chinese food. I have learned to love Sushi.. 

I ain't worried where my Baofeng HT came from. It is much too late to beat your chest and yell buy American.. We are in a World economy and Americans can no longer compete in many areas.

I used to try to buy American everything, just to be patriotic. I used to buy only Fords or Chevy Trucks. 12 years ago I bought a Toyota Tundra pickup. It was and still is better than any American Truck I had owned. Last year my wife wanted a new car. I got her a Kia Soul made in S. Korea. It is twice the quality that her  previous Chevy HHR was and her Kia has a 5yr Bumper to bumper warranty to boot and 10 years on motor/transmission.

Whats next, a car from China?

Americans have lost the manufacturing battle altho we still make good fast food.  Wink Cheesy

Thanks to the Greedy CEO's and companies  our factory workers can not afford to buy American. And if company management had their way our workers would be getting Chinese wages.

Stan K9IUQ

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 06:02:39 PM »

Last year my wife wanted a new car. I got her a Kia Soul made in S. Korea. It is twice the quality that her  previous Chevy HHR was ...

LOL - I actually own a Chevy HHR (2006).

It's OK, the A/C compressor failed after the warranty ran out, but since I had really low mileage they replaced it for only a $100 fee.  Cheesy

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 07:34:20 AM »

...It is much too late to beat your chest and yell buy American.  We are in a World economy and Americans can no longer compete in many areas....

...Thanks to the Greedy CEO's and companies  our factory workers can not afford to buy American. And if company management had their way our workers would be getting Chinese wages.

And yet the wages in China and a lot of the third world countries are beginning to rise, and rise fast.  Manufacturing costs are likewise rising, rising fast as well--and some of the American companies that have outsourced their manufacturing have seen the writing on the wall.  There is a movement to cut the CEO pay levels and make their compensation more transparent in a growing number of companies because of that--and a move to bring manufacturing back to this country.

There are start ups and re-openings of manufacturing plants on a small scale now, but the trend is set.  Some manufacturing is coming back to the US, and although it will probably never come to the levels of the fifties, sixties and seventies, things will even out more than they're positioned now in the long run.

Like you said, we're part of the world economy now, and sooner or later the world won't stand for the shenanigans those few larger companies have or are pulling. 
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 08:24:42 AM »

And yet the wages in China and a lot of the third world countries are beginning to rise, and rise fast.  Manufacturing costs are likewise rising, rising fast as well--and some of the American companies that have outsourced their manufacturing have seen the writing on the wall. 

America's pay goes down, other countries pay goes up...  We meet in the middle-- err, I mean we meet about 75% lower than we were 20 years ago...  Say hello to global the global economy we so wished for...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 08:52:48 AM »

And yet the wages in China and a lot of the third world countries are beginning to rise, and rise fast.  Manufacturing costs are likewise rising, rising fast as well--and some of the American companies that have outsourced their manufacturing have seen the writing on the wall.  There is a movement to cut the CEO pay levels and make their compensation more transparent in a growing number of companies because of that--and a move to bring manufacturing back to this country.

There are start ups and re-openings of manufacturing plants on a small scale now, but the trend is set.  Some manufacturing is coming back to the US, and although it will probably never come to the levels of the fifties, sixties and seventies, things will even out more than they're positioned now in the long run.

Like you said, we're part of the world economy now, and sooner or later the world won't stand for the shenanigans those few larger companies have or are pulling. 

But those manufacturing plants are going to be filled with robots, not people: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9234477/A_U.S._Apple_factory_may_be_robot_city?pageNumber=1

The real future of manufacturing is going to be in maker bots and CNC machines, not factories. We've had custom motorcycles and gaming PCs for years now based on large varieties of off the shelf parts. Now we're going to see super-customization through the use of one-off builds of digital designs. Very soon now we'll start to see shops spring up with 3D printers and small foundries that will be able to produce 1-off parts that can be created from plans downloaded from the Internet. It will start off with expensive items, like antique car parts or light fixtures for expensive homes, but will quickly expand to things like personalized CW keys and replacement knobs for radios. Custom PC boards are already very common and inexpensive. As robots get more programmable (and we figure out how to adapt production runs on the fly), pick and place machines will be rentable by the hour/minute/second.

Elecraft's K-9 radio will be delivered as a digital download. You'll pick it up at the local garage. It will cost you $200.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2013, 08:54:47 AM »

Say hello to global the global economy we so wished for...

We did it to ourselves and have no one to blame but Americans.

The American Companies jumped on the Bandwagon to produce products in other countries like China because of lower wages and costs in those countries. The American consumer bought these goods because they were cheap.

Now we have little manufacturing jobs here in America. We wished for it and got it...

Stan K9IUQ
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: