Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex = native hi-fi audio  (Read 15665 times)
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 09:24:04 PM »

Voodoo Audio = crap science, wasted bandwidth, and splatter.

Its seems voodoo audio is about using the maximum amount of bandwidth with the least audio intelligibility. Trying to squeeze10 pounds of audio sausage
into a 2 pound sausage bag in a analog domain system is the height of technical stupidity. Its seems that every time I hear one of these ESSB/vood audio practitioners
they they only ones in the engineering world who seem to think that placing most of your voice energy below 1khz,  is smart. They the only wants who think that they can somehow by twiddling knobs all day take audio content above 1khz and mysteriously package it into a audio bandwidth below 1 khz. Even with my SDR radios that can receive 20khz of bandwidth they all sound as crap and unintelligible as  you can imagine. So to pass this flawed experimentation off as a scientific endeavor is a lot of nonsense. Its mostly ignorant people  trying to do the impossible and causing a lot of splatter and consuming of bandwidth for no good outcome.  If you want high quality audio use AM or use digital voice or DRM. Thats what the professional shortwave broadcasters have  all adopted. They dont transmit super bassy audio and claim that its more intelligible contrary to every available study  of human speech patterns.

These ESSB/voodoo stations are obnoxious qrm'ers that   dont deserve respect because they are not carrying out science experiments. They carrying on endless knob twiddling that passes time and nothing more The practice of ESSB is pure ignorance When ESSB can make a S1 signal more intelligable in the noise then I will sit up and take notice. All I hear now is a practice that does everything that makes the human voice more unintelligible than anything else besides sound effect machines that make you sound like darth vader. Its the art of practicing pure and utter technical crap.
and nothing else

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 02:01:02 AM »

Voodoo Audio = crap science, wasted bandwidth, and splatter.

Its seems voodoo audio is about using the maximum amount of bandwidth with the least audio intelligibility. Trying to squeeze10 pounds of audio sausage
into a 2 pound sausage bag in a analog domain system is the height of technical stupidity. Its seems that every time I hear one of these ESSB/vood audio practitioners
they they only ones in the engineering world who seem to think that placing most of your voice energy below 1khz,  is smart. They the only wants who think that they can somehow by twiddling knobs all day take audio content above 1khz and mysteriously package it into a audio bandwidth below 1 khz. Even with my SDR radios that can receive 20khz of bandwidth they all sound as crap and unintelligible as  you can imagine. So to pass this flawed experimentation off as a scientific endeavor is a lot of nonsense. Its mostly ignorant people  trying to do the impossible and causing a lot of splatter and consuming of bandwidth for no good outcome.  If you want high quality audio use AM or use digital voice or DRM. Thats what the professional shortwave broadcasters have  all adopted. They dont transmit super bassy audio and claim that its more intelligible contrary to every available study  of human speech patterns.

These ESSB/voodoo stations are obnoxious qrm'ers that   dont deserve respect because they are not carrying out science experiments. They carrying on endless knob twiddling that passes time and nothing more The practice of ESSB is pure ignorance When ESSB can make a S1 signal more intelligable in the noise then I will sit up and take notice. All I hear now is a practice that does everything that makes the human voice more unintelligible than anything else besides sound effect machines that make you sound like darth vader. Its the art of practicing pure and utter technical crap.
and nothing else

Considering that the bands are often empty I don't see any issue with people running ESSB or AM for that matter.  The people who enjoy ESSB seem to have fun.  It's a hobby, so why bother getting worked up about it?

While many crank the bass, it's not as bad as the overuse of the speech processor that many SSB ops have turned up to 11 as a matter of course.  Listening to them for 5 minutes is enough to give you a headache!
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »

I operate AM, and the flex 5000 is very nice for AM.
Its only 25 watts, like most other radios, so its limited, and you need a BIG amp to handle AM.
You can have fun on 40 meters most times with 25 watts tho.

I have had various sdr radios, and the 5000 is/was good, but I mostly use home brew stuff.
I have built my own receivers and transmitters, feedline, antenna's, so my usual station is 100% home brew, even the vfo.
The guys running AM often build some of their equipment, or repair the old stuff (or make it better), its the part of the hobby where you can still play with the soldering iron and learn some electronics.

I enjoy talking about RADIO, how to build, fix and operate them, how to make them work better, and there is plenty to talk about on AM.
I listen to ssb sometimes, and it seems more like CB to me, and there seems to be a lot of hate on that mode.
Hate of the government, of AM, of some type of rigs, of contests, of nets, of ESSB, just about everything.

I enjoy listening to AM as the carrier quiets the frequency and the voice sounds natural and very nice in most cases.

I do not think its right for me to have to give up my mode of choice so there can be more ssb hate speech on the bands.

Brett
N2DTS
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: