Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting back in to the hobby  (Read 644 times)
KE5KFP

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2013, 07:53:11 AM »

I hav been of the air fo a few years now due to my pesonal and business life taking all the spare time I had. Now things have settled sown and I have two little boys soein interest in radios. I need to set up a station again and get geared up. I am now living in the city while I was in the country before. I am sure that will impact the type and size of antenna that I can use. Last time I was looking at radios, it seemed that the kenwood ts-2000 was pretty much the best do all option out there, has that changed? What would you recomend I start with to rebuild my station? I am pobably going to use a g5rv to start with and maybe build a j-pole for two meter. I am an extra class and operate all modes including cw, though my cw skills are probably seriously lacking at the moment.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:32:39 AM »

KFP:  Welcome back!  And, I wish you the best of luck with setting up 
and operating in a very different environment.

As for your choice in transceiver OM, only you can determine that.  Personally, any modern transceiver would be a blessing to me, considering that my rig is over 30 years old.

May I suggest?  Determine how much money you're comfortable with spending, and then choose what is available from the "Big 3" and then do a comparison.  Make a brief list of what you need or want in a rig and then look for those features within the list.

I know this is over simplistic but this will eventually be what you're going to do.  If you simply listen and buy according to who is the most emphatic about their own rig, you'll no doubt regret it.

The answers you get here will be nothing but opinions of what each OP likes.  However, do pay attention to WHY they like their rigs which might give you something to add to the "features" list.

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:35:46 AM »

You should enjoy the fun of perusing catalogs, the internet, forums, reviews etc. and find out what features are interesting to you, what brands, what models, and by all means don't neglect the used market as well.  

And by all means you should share the fun and excitement of picking out a rig with those youngsters.  Order up some of the paper catalogs to be sent by snail mail, share the experience with them, the pictures and listings in there may spark more interest in the kids than you might think if you sit down with them some afternoon and introduce them to the fine art of catalog wishing...

(And - there is so much effortless learning that happens that way!)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: