Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repeater coordination interference question.  (Read 39221 times)
KC2ZPK

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2013, 08:57:48 AM »

So I have a 70cm coordinated repeater, and recently another repeater has come up on frequency. Can hear them clearly, I can even key up their repeater when I key up mine. I don't think they are running any PL tone, or the same as mine.  Anyway... Without kicking a bees nest, would it be better to contact the other repeater trustee? or contact the Coordinating council?

John
KC2ZPK

John
KC2ZPK.com - A work in progress
NJ1K

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 09:15:53 AM »

I'd just contact the other trustee first and have a chat.  Maybe it's just a band opening.  If his is interfering with yours, then most likely yours is interfering with his too.
KC2ZPK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 09:42:27 AM »

Doubt it's an opening, 24/7

I could contact them

John
NJ1K

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 09:46:18 AM »

Is the other one coordinated too?
KC2ZPK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 09:47:05 AM »

Not in any database I looked  Huh

John
NJ1K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »

As I said earlier, if it were me I would contact the owner first.  If he's non-responsive or acts like a --------, next I would contact the coordinating body.  After that, the FCC...

Good luck with this isue...
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 09:06:13 PM »

But the real fun comes if you are coordinated with one group and the repeater in question is coordinated by another group.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 04:25:58 PM »

Then you let to coordinators put on the gloves...
WE0Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 03:25:15 PM »

Verify that you are coordinated, no doubt you are, be polite and contact the owner/trustee and ask if he followed the recommendations for coordination and if he hasn't he should fill out the paperwork to get coordinated and wait. If the owner /operator is not receptive point out to him that FCC regulations require coordination and that if he fails to do this the licensee that has been coordinated on this frequency, you, may file a complaint and the FCC will order him to vacate or face administrative procedures. He should be receptive but you never know but be polite.
Bob
WE0Z
W2XAB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »

The FCC does NOT require coordination, but they give preference to coordinated repeaters over non-coordinated if an interference issue reaches them.
WE0Z

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 10:05:51 AM »

If the offending repeater is not co-ordinated the FCC will order it off . As a past ARRL Official Observer this problem came up and the offending non-coordinated repeater was ordered off the air by Riley Hollingsworth!
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 07:33:28 AM »

Instead of getting others to fight it out why not ask the other repeater owner to install a controller which will NOT key his repeater when hearing a user with your pl.  THat way he can run open without having his brought up when your users transmit.  As an old repeater guru once said:  "A pl board is the price of a large pizza".
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 08:55:21 PM »

If the offending repeater is not co-ordinated the FCC will order it off

Not exactly.  There's a step in between.
The non-coordinated repeater in such a case has the sole responsibility to mitigate the interference to the coordinated repeater.  If the non-coordinated repeater owner is unable or unwilling to do so, THEN the FCC may (usually will) order the non-coordinated repeater to vacate that frequency.  So far, at least, with the possible exception of Riley, the FCC generally does not play fast and loose with its authority; but, rather, tries very hard to find a solution that has minimal impact on BOTH repeater owners/users.  A very pleasant attitude, especially for a government agency.
Tom
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:57:54 PM by WB6DGN » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: