Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to move to Flex.. but a few Questions  (Read 44240 times)
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 08:13:41 AM »

It almost felt like a vacation, this Flex category being so well behaved the past couple of weeks.  All who visit (and I certainly) appreciate it.

HOWEVER, the personal attacks seem to be creeping in again.  Please refrain from the name calling and address the radio or the substance of the posts. Let others discover the motivational and/or religious aspects on their own.

Mike N2MG

I had another response here for a moment but, sigh, it's not worth it. If you want to sit idly by and let the Flex bashing malcontents take over this forum, then so be it. Very sad to see it happening though.
Michael
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 08:43:38 AM by W4HIJ » Logged
K0IDT

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 09:05:33 PM »

It almost felt like a vacation, this Flex category being so well behaved the past couple of weeks.  All who visit (and I certainly) appreciate it.

HOWEVER, the personal attacks seem to be creeping in again.  Please refrain from the name calling and address the radio or the substance of the posts. Let others discover the motivational and/or religious aspects on their own.

Mike N2MG

The only way to get rid of the name calling and personal attacks is to ban all Flexradio owners.  Wink

To stop the attacks I suggest sending stop and desist eham emails to the offenders. Posting here does no good as every Ham thinks you are talking about the other guy.  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

Ban all Flex owners Stan? Does that include SWL2002? SWL2002 do you have a call? Really doesn't matter one way or the other it's just nice to know who I'm talking to, a name
at the bottom of your posts might be nice too.

Stan when you get your letter let us know or maybe not.

Ron
K0IDT
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2013, 03:59:04 AM »

Mike N2MG

The only way to get rid of the name calling and personal attacks is to ban all Flexradio owners.  Wink

To stop the attacks I suggest sending stop and desist eham emails to the offenders. Posting here does no good as every Ham thinks you are talking about the other guy.  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

Ban all Flex owners Stan? Does that include SWL2002? SWL2002 do you have a call? Really doesn't matter one way or the other it's just nice to know who I'm talking to, a name

Ron
K0IDT

Ron, please post your SSN so I can verify that you are Ron K0IDT.  Otherwise, you are out of luck.  If you want to know my name look at my profile data.

K0IDT

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2013, 12:42:19 PM »

[/quote]

Ron
K0IDT

[/quote]

Ron, please post your SSN so I can verify that you are Ron K0IDT.  Otherwise, you are out of luck.  If you want to know my name look at my profile data.

[/quote]

While I understand the need or desire to remain anonymous, particularly on this forum, a name or call is just common courtesy. I did look up your profile and I guess
anyone else that wants to know your name can do the same. You can always pm me if you care to, my email addy is not that hard to find makes no difference either
way way as I said.

If W4NE is still here you received an excellent bit of advice, find a Flex owner and play with the radio to get a feel for things. Most of the SDR's out there use some
variant of PSDR from Flex, only feature differences.

Last post on this topic, drifting way too far. I see Stan got bored with it and is busy bashing another of his favorites, AA6YQ and DXLabs.

Ron
K0IDT
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2013, 02:11:20 PM »

You do not get a letter for telling the truth. If you have been here for a while you may have noticed that I do not attack personally  posters or call anyone names. Only Flex owners do that because it is difficult for them to discuss or disprove facts. I attack false information.

All Flex owners do not attack me either. There are many here who I consider friends and I respect them even if they do own a Flexradio.  Wink

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 02:13:25 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
WV4I

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2013, 04:13:25 AM »

To the original poster and subject of this thread....

I've owned and still own several SDR's. As to Flex, I first owned the 1500, 5W, 48kc BW, about $500 used without mike. Got my feet wet with PowerSDR, etc.. I used it with a small solid state amp and external ATU.

Next I was undecided between a 3000 and 5000. The 3000's seem to go for about $1300 used, and the bare 5000 $1900. Add in ATU, 2nd receiver, not to mention VHF unit, and you've then added up to another $1k. The 3000 and 5000 require a firewire interface. I use a Win 7 32 bit Core 2 Duo PC with a XFX 780i motherboard, integral firewire controller, works great, with the Flex 3000. CPU average 65% re PowerSDR. You will crash or stop PowerSDR if try to use another CPU hungry application with my PC's specs, otherwise adequate.

Really should look at features comparison chart on FlexRadio website to decide what you need. Note the 3000 includes ATU, 96kc BW, 100w, so all I needed. The receiver specs and capabilities are quite diverse between different models.

I use the "ignore" function on threads like this. Only way I can wade thru them within my lifetime.

No RFI issues, great audio reports with Heil HM-12 mike.
AB2YC

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 09:06:48 AM »

I have the 1500 and really like it, it's only 5 watts, but it's great if you have an interest in using transverters.
I also have an HF amp so I have up to 100 watts when needed, I used to be a big power guy but more and more I am running low power.

The tracking notch filters are what sold me on SDR , Watch This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t17ipMS8gAk.
I have never seen another radio be able to do that, and once you use it you will never not want to be without it.

RUSS324

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2013, 04:15:37 PM »

I vote we ban Stan!!!!!
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2013, 09:30:36 PM »

I vote we ban Stan!!!!!

At least Stan posts here under his call sign, which is more than I can say about cowards like you.
WW3JR

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 01:57:13 PM »

Original poster, I agree with AB2YC, I've owned my Flex 1500 for several years and I really like the radio.  I run mine barefoot with a dedicated Dell Laptop running Windows 7 Pro with 8 gig of RAM.  I like QRP operation and regularly get good reports on SSB.  Flex technical support is top shelf as far as my experience has been which you don't see much of in the SDR business.  When you have hardware and software coming from the same supplier, you can't go wrong.  My $.02 for what it is worth.

73 and good luck,

John WW3JR
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2013, 12:41:22 PM »

Since none of the eHam Anti-Flex trolls will step up with anything more than childish prattle..

WN4E - If you are a SSB'er, then you will not find a better HF radio in the range than the Flex 3000.

The 500 is discontinued and the new high end Flex is the 6500/6700.

I would suggest, if you are bent on trying SDR, to either  buy a Flex 3000 and enjoy a superb HF SSB/Digital experience, or wait for the dust to settle around the new crop of DUC/DDC radios. Don't waste your time on the Anan, unless you don't mind shelling out twice the price of the Flex 3000 for an intermediary technology shim.

The above quote is just more childish prattle from our eHam Pro-Flex troll K5TED.  Ignore him because he does not make suggestions in your best interest by suggesting a Flex 3000.  Stay away from the Flex-1500, Flex-3000 and any used Flex-5000 radios.  Just like the Flex-5000, your investment in a 1500 or 3000 will turn to CRAP when Flex Radio inevitably discontinues the 1500 and 3000 like it did with the 5000.  All Flex Radios are bad investments and they will lead to more frustration in the long run.  Flex Radio will not let you say anything negative about their products on their mailing list or their forums.  The only place will you get fair and balanced reviews of Flex is here on eHam.  That is why the Pro-Flex trolls like K5TED and others hate this eHam forum so much.  And they still can't bring themselves to stay away!

A "investment" in a ham radio, what a cute concept.  It's very weird to hear people talk about "investing" in consumer electronics.  Unless you are buying a vintage piece of gear with a dedicated following and long-term repairability, or you use it in your business to make a profit, any electronics "investment" is just about the dumbest idea you'll ever have.  Invest in land, corn, gold, coins, antique chairs, anything but consumer goods, especially totally optional toys.

NO HAM RADIO BUILT IN THE LAST 30 YEARS IS AN INVESTMENT.  You will never profit from it, you will never make money using it in your business.  Collectors do not want it because it likely can not be repaired.

Who invests in a blender made in 2002?  A TV from 1999?  A computer from 2007?

I wouldn't touch a Flex with a 10' pole but I certainly can't believe that I am hearing somebody seriously contend that a ham radio, especially one from any era past the golden years, is an "investment."  God help you SWL2002 if you believe this drivel, and God preserve those who take investment tips from you!
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 04:32:18 PM »

A "investment" in a ham radio, what a cute concept.  It's very weird to hear people talk about "investing" in consumer electronics. 

I wish I had kept the Apple 1 I had in the late seventies. What cost ~$600 dollars then is going for mid six figures now at auction.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 04:53:17 PM »

Since none of the eHam Anti-Flex trolls will step up with anything more than childish prattle..

WN4E - If you are a SSB'er, then you will not find a better HF radio in the range than the Flex 3000.

The 500 is discontinued and the new high end Flex is the 6500/6700.

I would suggest, if you are bent on trying SDR, to either  buy a Flex 3000 and enjoy a superb HF SSB/Digital experience, or wait for the dust to settle around the new crop of DUC/DDC radios. Don't waste your time on the Anan, unless you don't mind shelling out twice the price of the Flex 3000 for an intermediary technology shim.

The above quote is just more childish prattle from our eHam Pro-Flex troll K5TED.  Ignore him because he does not make suggestions in your best interest by suggesting a Flex 3000.  Stay away from the Flex-1500, Flex-3000 and any used Flex-5000 radios.  Just like the Flex-5000, your investment in a 1500 or 3000 will turn to CRAP when Flex Radio inevitably discontinues the 1500 and 3000 like it did with the 5000.  All Flex Radios are bad investments and they will lead to more frustration in the long run.  Flex Radio will not let you say anything negative about their products on their mailing list or their forums.  The only place will you get fair and balanced reviews of Flex is here on eHam.  That is why the Pro-Flex trolls like K5TED and others hate this eHam forum so much.  And they still can't bring themselves to stay away!

A "investment" in a ham radio, what a cute concept.  It's very weird to hear people talk about "investing" in consumer electronics.  Unless you are buying a vintage piece of gear with a dedicated following and long-term repairability, or you use it in your business to make a profit, any electronics "investment" is just about the dumbest idea you'll ever have.  Invest in land, corn, gold, coins, antique chairs, anything but consumer goods, especially totally optional toys.

NO HAM RADIO BUILT IN THE LAST 30 YEARS IS AN INVESTMENT.  You will never profit from it, you will never make money using it in your business.  Collectors do not want it because it likely can not be repaired.

Who invests in a blender made in 2002?  A TV from 1999?  A computer from 2007?

I wouldn't touch a Flex with a 10' pole but I certainly can't believe that I am hearing somebody seriously contend that a ham radio, especially one from any era past the golden years, is an "investment."  God help you SWL2002 if you believe this drivel, and God preserve those who take investment tips from you!

What the heck is wrong with you?  You are taking the word "investment" way too literally and making it mean something else than what I intended.  I was not talking about an investment is the conventional sense, a more accurate word I should have used is "expenditure".

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2013, 05:29:06 PM »

Ham radios are "investments" for those who go into the hobby worrying about depreciation, and what price they might get for their used hobby radio.

This mentality is across the board in almost all hobbies. That sort of worrying takes the fun out, IMO. If you can't afford to go in with both feet, then stay on the bank. That's all relative, of course, to the buyer's bank account. My pond is certainly shallower than that of others.. Still, to go into a radio purchase while worrying about selling it, is madness.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2013, 12:25:27 AM »

A "investment" in a ham radio, what a cute concept.  It's very weird to hear people talk about "investing" in consumer electronics. 

I wish I had kept the Apple 1 I had in the late seventies. What cost ~$600 dollars then is going for mid six figures now at auction.

I have a NIB ZX Spectrum that is worth about $100, which is less than it cost.

Sometimes you get lucky, mostly you don't.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: