Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New 10 Watt HF Rig from China CW/SSB KN-920  (Read 58969 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 03:37:09 AM »

I realize that this is an old thread. However this is a followup to the "New 10 Watt HF Rig from China CW/SSB KN-920" thread.

On ebay there is a 20 watt version of the KN-920 on sale for $400. Disclaimer: I have no connection to this ebay listing whatsoever, this is strictly FYI because there is an interest in this radio.

This 20 watt version is used as the seller says that the radio is a "IT IS A 9.5 OUT OF 10! VERY NEAR MINT. YOU WON'T FIND A NICER ONE”

I currently have no information on where a brand new model with a warranty can be purchased at. Maybe someone can add that information to this thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KN920-MINT-MULTI-MODE-160-10M-QRP-20-WATT-TRANSCEIVER-LATEST-CHINESE-TECHNOLOGY-/151327508209?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item233bd286f1

Seller's Description

"THIS AMAZING RADIO IS VERY VERSITILE THAT IMPRESSED ME WITH ITS SENSITIVITY AND PRECISION TUNING. IT PUTS OUT OVER 20 WATTS (AN EXTRA MOD UP FROM 10W), RECEIVES FROM STANDARD AM BROADCAST TO 30MHZ. THE FACTORY MUST HAVE A MOD TO MAKE IT TRANSMIT FROM 1.8-30MHZ(MARS MOD). NOW, IT IS HAM BANDS ONLY. A BUILT IN AUTOMATIC KEYER WORKS FINE FOR CW. WITH FM MODE, A TONE BOARD COULD BE ADED FOR 10M REPEATERS. IT COMES WITH AN ICOM HAND MIKE WITH UP/DOWN BUTTONS, POWER CORD, AND MANUAL THAT HAS BEEN ANOTATED BY ME TO HELP YOU OVER THE CHINGLISH. THIS RADIO IS VERY LIGHT WEIGHT, BUT SEEMS VERY SOLID TO THE USER. A VERY MENU DRIVEN UNIT. NO RETURNS BECAUSE OF PARTS PIRATES OR DAMAGE COULD BE DONE BY UNEXPERIENCED HANDS. A FUNCIONAL RADIO, SO BID WITH CONFIDANCE! THIS IS NOT FOR THE BEGINNING HAM UNLESS HE HAS SOMEONE TO GET HIM STARTED. THEN IT OPERATED SMOOTHLY WITH 5 FRONT PANEL BUTTONS. IT ALSO HAS MEMORY TO STORE SEVERAL FREQUENCIES WITH THE MODE INCLUDED"

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2014, 04:15:30 AM »

Sounds like a hell of a deal, apparently the seller was so impressed with it's attributes ( 9.5 out of 10) that he wants to get rid of it.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2014, 04:21:02 AM »

Sounds like a hell of a deal, apparently the seller was so impressed with it's attributes ( 9.5 out of 10) that he wants to get rid of it.

Yes, and there are 32 watchers and no one is bidding on it.....

N4DSP

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2014, 11:50:56 AM »

Will never purchase any radio from the Chi-Comm's. They hack into many American companies and steal their documents and secrets and they are the greatest copiers the world has ever seen. Why would you want to do business with thieves.

john
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2014, 04:13:56 PM »

Hah, someone bid on the 20 watt KN-920. $299 with 2 hours 40 min to go

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2014, 07:23:19 PM »

Like PT Barnum said, "One born every minute and two to take him!" 
AF7EC

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2014, 11:50:29 PM »

If someone gave me one of these radios, I'd remove all of the existing labels and use a much nicer font!  I know it might sound silly, but seems like a lot of Chinese products have that ugly Serif font.  Huh
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2014, 02:21:10 AM »

Only one person bid on it for $299.

KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2014, 04:36:05 AM »

Will never purchase any radio from the Chi-Comm's. They hack into many American companies and steal their documents and secrets and they are the greatest copiers the world has ever seen. Why would you want to do business with thieves.

john

This radio is made by a ham in China.  So, you're more or less calling a ham op a thief there.  Just sayin'
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2014, 08:11:48 AM »

Hello.

First off the IRF510 is used as a replacement for the 2SC1969 and is THE preferred CB transistor for the "New" Cobra 29 mods.
Second, this radio is also sold as a kit.
5 watt or 10 watt, just solder in the second transistor.
http://www.radiovilag.hu/images/IRF510.pdf
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Whole-ham-kn920-kn-920-utrashort-wave-ham-radio-station-equipment-shiortwave-SW-free-shipping/1075987935.html
There is a design flaw that will require its redesign.
It was to modulate the finals for AM, just like a cobra 29.
They had problems.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2014, 08:47:30 AM »

I believe the Chinese encourage the production of hand helds because they are in so much use in industry in general, from construction to security.  I doubt we will see really good HF  gear from the Chinese until the government changes it's attitude toward the  average Chinese having  unrestricted contact with the outside world.  Until there is an active HF CHinese radio presence outside of the few places HF is now permitted the domestic demand and hence the production numbers  and attendant cost reductions will not happen.   The interesting thing is that despite NO apparent regulation either way, "CB" is alive and well in China. 

KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2014, 03:38:03 PM »

Hello.

Not only is CB alive and well in China, there are some impressive radios.
24.5 MHz is the official lower limit and 32. 5 MHz is the official upper limit.
No radio can do more than 25 watts and no amplifier may do more than 150 watts.
You do need a permit for an amplifier, failure to secure a permit will lead to loss of equipment.
Again, 24.5 MHz to 32.5 MHz, no super multi band radios for the masses.
136 to 174 and 400 to 512 MHz is also fine.
5 watts VHF and 4 watts UHF for a portable with 60 watts for mobiles is permitted.
External amplifiers for VHF and UHF are prohibited.
OK1RP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2014, 01:36:46 PM »

Hi,

the experiences of Fred, VE3FAL is typical for any kind of chinesse junks!
Does not mattercif it is kn-920 or x1m or hb's or so... Clics, blowing finals, modulation issues, not finished s/w, useless keying/timming, bugs and even bad designs of important blocks...etc.
Unfortunatelly there is still enough people for buying these crapies from chinesse copycats.

Please open Your eyes and believe to US producers or Japanesse manufacturers. Support small but high quality and clever designs comes from US, EU...

Thank You for reading it and at least thinking about.

Good luck, 73 - Petr, ok1rp
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: