Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Mic Cord Separation  (Read 3905 times)
K6LCS

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2013, 10:05:18 AM »

My trusty old Icom IC-208H's mic cord has pulled out a little bit from the strain relief that is built into the mic body. Any suggestions on how to make it last longer? How about that plastic wrap tape that adheres to itself? Electrically, all is fine.

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 10:59:18 AM »

How about some RTV?
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 11:26:21 AM »

I can purchase a new one ... but the unit is a little beyond warranty repair period - probably 6 or 7 years old. (grin)

I was thinking heat shrink-wrap ... or that new-ish emergency repair tape that has hit the ham conventions ...

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 12:00:20 PM »

My trusty old Icom IC-208H's mic cord has pulled out a little bit from the strain relief that is built into the mic body.

What I've done with a couple of my mic's is to take the mic apart and pull the cord through the strain relief into the mic body.  That puts a "fresh" section of sheath below the strain relief.  I'm at a point now on some of them there's not enough room left in the mic for all the extra cord so at some point I'll have to replace the cord or the mic.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 10:18:22 AM »

I was thinking heat shrink-wrap ... or that new-ish emergency repair tape that has hit the ham conventions ...

Clint, I don't know if it would work for your microphone ...  And this may not be the same thing, but look at High Sierra Online (hamcq.com) and their "raincoat tape."   It's not just for emergencies; I'm using the stuff for all sorts of things now.  It's great for sealing outdoor connections, coax connectors, etc, it's great for power connectors, I use it on my Hustler mobile resonators to keep the water out, it has a million uses.  GREAT stuff.  And most of the time, if I change a connection or whatever, I can take the tape off and then put it back on the same joint, you can re-use the stuff since it has no stickum and relies on surface-to-surface contact.  It's amazingly weatherproof.  And it's available in a lot of different colors, too, which is REAL handy for identifying cables quickly.  Give it a look--the stuff is REALLY handy.  73!  --ken
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:33:03 AM »

Thanks for the advice. I chickened out for the moment ... and ordered a replacement Icom mic. As soon as I have it
in hand (pun intended), I'll perform surgery on the old one ...

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »

second vote for the  High Sierra (www.hamcq.com ) raincoat tape,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: