Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Programming the Baoefent UV-5r  (Read 2909 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2013, 11:03:57 AM »

Programming the Baofeng UV5-R

I ran into a lot of frustration while learning how to program this radio. I thought I would put together a
quicky guide on how to. Of course it is a lot easier to program it with the chirp software and a computer but
if you are not near a computer or dont have the cable and have to program manually. Here goes! The how to guides
left out some of the not so obvious nuances.

I am only going to cover basic menu logic and entering info into a 'channel' since that is the most frustrating.
A short list of usefull numbers (represented by X) is given below.

Make sure you are in frequency mode by pressing the oarnge vfo/mr button radio will 'speak' frequendy mode.

First the menu system logic. The radio 'spoken' terms are given in brackets. The typical sequence follows.

Menu      [menu] = Opens menu system
X            [Beep] = First menu selection step
X            [Beep] = Second menu selection step (if required)
Up/down [Beep] = to make your selections (some selections may be entered directly from the kepad).
Menu      [Confirm] = Check to see if you want to make the change
Ext         [Beep] = Enters your confirmation.

Now for entering a setup into a 'channel' First of course you have to have all the information correct. Recieve frequency,
Xmit frequency, offset +/-, and offset frequency, lastly any ctss tones. Once all that is set here is how to save it
into a channel.

Firstly to save a setup into a channel the channel must be free. This is the most common stumbling block. If the channel
is already in use you can go through all the steps and it wont save. Frustrating.

Clearing a channel:

Menu      [Menu]
2            [Beep]
8            [Beep]
Menu      [Delete channel]
up/down [Beep] = Choose channel to be cleared
Menu      [Confirm] = Check to see if you want to make the change. If you do not want to change just wait a few seconds.
EXT        [Beep] = Exectues and clears the channel

Now that we have an open channel we can enter the setup into it. There are actually two pieces of info to be stored
the recieve info and the transmitt info. This is a little confusing at first and easy to get crossed up. Make sure you
have the proper setup displayed in frequency mode. This was not mentioned in the other quicky guides and took me a ittle
while to figure it all out.

Entering a setup into a channel:

First step recieve memory:

Menu      [Menu]
2            [Beep]
7            [Beep]
Menu      [Memory Channel]
up/down [Beep] = Select the cleared channel in which you want to save
Menu      [Recieve Memory] = Make sure it speaks recieve memory first!
EXT        [Beep] = Executes and saves the recieve memory

Second step xmit memory:

Press the scan button briefly, this should display the proper xmit frequency with the proper offset (if you set it right)
the proper xmit frequency must be displayed!

Menu    [Menu]
2          [Beep]
7          [Beep]
Menu    [Memory Channel] = Should be already set to the one you used for recieve memory
Menu    [Transmitting Memory] = Make sure it speaks Transimtting memory
EXT      [Beep] = Executes and saves the transmitting memory

The setup including offsets, tones, etc. should now be stored in the channel you chose. If it did not save you probably
did not clear the channel first.

A quick 'cheat sheet' for memory steps

Freuency is set directly from the key pad whilst in frequency mode.

Shift +/-/off   = 2,5
Offset freq.    = 2,6
Tone             = 1,3

Clear a channel = 2,8
Store a channel  = 2,7

Those are the basic ones there are many more. Be sure to visit the following site for the excellent 'how to guides'
for further guidance!

http://www.uv-5r.com/

ps; Dangit cant correct the title!!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:12:25 AM by KE4JOY » Logged
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 12:09:33 PM »

Yep. It falls into place in your mind after you've played with it for a while. I never understood why, if you have to enter an offset freq., you then have to enter the transmit frequency. That's what the offset freq. is for, so it knows what the xmit freq. is supposed to be. It's simple math that the chip inside should be able to do, but whatever.  Smiley

N4KDF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 04:30:03 PM »

Just got the UV5RE+..neat little radio. Thanks for the cheat sheet.

While on the subject of this radio, can you tell me the steps to get it to scan the memory channels? I know it can be done so I must be missing a keystroke. A pointer would be greatly appreciated.

Tnx!

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 05:57:38 PM »

While on the subject of this radio, can you tell me the steps to get it to scan the memory channels? I know it can be done so I must be missing a keystroke. A pointer would be greatly appreciated.

Press and hold the * (scan) button for 2 seconds.  Smiley

N4KDF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 06:26:07 PM »

Tried that and had no success. I did read a post elsewhere that if programmed by hand they were unable do a memory scan. Only after programming via PC did it all begin to work. I'll find out when my cable arrives.

Thank you for the suggestion just the same.

B.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 06:32:40 PM »

Tried that and had no success. I did read a post elsewhere that if programmed by hand they were unable do a memory scan. Only after programming via PC did it all begin to work. I'll find out when my cable arrives.

Hmm.

If you exit memory mode and go to VFO mode, and press the scan button for 2s, does it scan the band?

N4KDF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 07:21:36 PM »

Yes it does.  That works on both VFO's and both bands. When I try to scan via the */SCAN  button all I get is the 'Scanning Begins' announcement and the display defaults to a UHF frequency.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »

I have noticed at times when you program in a few new channels sometimes you have to turn the power off then back on again before it will scan the new channels.

But yes press and hold the scan button (*) for like 4 seconds or so and china gal will announce "Scanning begins". maybe your not holding it long enough.

Yes it will scan in frequency mode as well steps as per set up.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 05:44:18 PM »

Oh yea, one more thing. Scan will not pick up if the squelch is open...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: