Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer logging help needed  (Read 3123 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2013, 05:14:34 AM »

I have been given an old IBM ThinkPad with Window XP Professional installed. My computer expertise is limited to point, click and type. I am a casual operator and still use paper log books and would like to make use of this computer for basic manually entered contact info so I could just plug in call sign and see if I had QSOed with a station before. I'm NOT interested in any other functions i.e. contest logging, rig controls etc.. I have reviewed all logging programs available and all are way over kill with features I don't need. Are there other simple contact logging programs available that I might have missed or a format/program within XP that would fit my needs? Any advice appreciated, thanks.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 06:08:42 AM »

I was in same boat a few years ago. I settle on winlog32. It is fairly straight forward and customizable to record info you want to save. I have mine set to automatically back up to a USB memory stick so if computer crashes log is safe. I also keep a copy of latest version of software on stick so I can insert stick in another computer and install software and recover log in minutes.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 07:49:07 AM »

Re: W8JX

Thanks for timely response, checked out WinLog 32 again and decided to take my chances. Result was easier down load/install than I thought, just what I was looking for. One page transferred already and only 43 to go Smiley.Will also back up with memory stick, thanks again.   
KI7DG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »

I to was looking for something simple and easy to log.  After looking at a lot of different programs and spending $100 for one program that was a ... Huh...   I finally opted for Scott's N3FJP software.  It comes with life time updates and does not require computer guru to operate.  Better yet nothing to set up just load and start entering QSO's.  Yes it does have some bells and whistles like ability to upload to LoTW with just a few key clicks and easy back up to memory sticks in ADI format.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 06:17:14 PM »

May I suggest that you also zip the log file and email a copy to a relative or friend.
I zip mine about once a month and mail it to my work PC so I have an off site copy.

Memory sticks are very unreliable, I have had several die on me over the years and an off site copy can be a life saver if you have a lightning strike that takes out your PC. Also a copy off site is great security against floods, fire or other whole house damage.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 06:26:33 AM »

Memory sticks are very unreliable, I have had several die on me over the years and an off site copy can be a life saver if you have a lightning strike that takes out your PC.

I have seen one stick die since I have been using them and it was very old. Still was able to recover data though as it would not write anymore.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 06:49:34 AM »

Your very lucky I have had 3 die out of 5 that I have owned.
Two of them died with no warning and one of them started acting up needing to be pulled in and out before it would register.   The really old smaller ones are much more reliable than the newer ones which they crank out by the millions.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 06:57:52 AM »

Your very lucky I have had 3 die out of 5 that I have owned.
Two of them died with no warning and one of them started acting up needing to be pulled in and out before it would register.   The really old smaller ones are much more reliable than the newer ones which they crank out by the millions.

I am thinking something in environment is causing failure.

N6OIL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 10:13:31 PM »

As for backing up my logs I use DropBox and Google Drive, what are the chances of both going off the air at the same time beside a major internet outage?
And of course I have local copies too.

Rory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: