Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EHam's new Survey, would you be a ham again?  (Read 4110 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 02:06:03 PM »

Sounds like what we need is some lemon aid  Wink
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 07:03:28 PM »

Sometimes wonder whether I should have just stayed on CB or 11m free banding. They certainly appear to be having more fun with radio here on 11m in the UK than amateurs do. There certainly seems to be more than a fair share of miserable old gits in amateur radio and I hear the same or worse DQRM on the amateur bands in comparison to 11m.
K5NOK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 08:16:01 PM »

This is k5nok...
The weather was really nice today. I cut the grass for hopefully the last time this year.
When the grass quits growing I am going to lay down a few more radials for my vertical.
I am watching the Broncos romp on the 49'ers.
I probably won't get on the radio tonight, so I am getting my fix on Eham.
What 10 minutes already?...
This is k5nok.

See. Easy!
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 01:37:33 AM »

CB and 11m free banding compared with ham radio. Well, let's see:

Being able to operate power amplifiers legally

Moonbounce

Satellite

CW with your favorite paddle

Antennas that seem to fill the sky

RTTY

PSK31

Working the other side of the world on QRP

Slow scan TV

Repeaters

Hamfests

More technical knowledge produced by hams on the Internet than one man can study in a lifetime

Homebrew

Nearly a hundred years of history

Would I be a ham again? In a heartbeat.

Peter DL8OV
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 06:11:57 AM »

I have come to the conclusion that I don't care who wants to be an amateur radio licensee..young or old.  I don't care if all that ancient folk lore about ham radio is forgotten including that 'Woffen' stick or whatever the ARRL calls it...and what is it's significance anyway?...Most don't care. Time marches on and things change.  The gentlemen talking about freebanders hit it right.  They don't get hung up on all this nonsense, they just get on the air and QSO and that's what I want to do on ham radio. I don't want any awards, contests, nets,...I just want to make contact with any intelligence life out there.  The only group(s) that worry about the ham radio population is the ARRL and the equipment manufacturers.  Tell me that's not true.
N7RST

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 08:13:47 AM »

Sounds like what we need is some lemon aid  Wink

Perhaps cool aid would be more appropriate....LOL
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 08:25:52 AM »

Re: KC2QYM  reply #19

Well you have that correct, there was amateur radio long before the ARRL and equipment manufacturers showed up on the scene and there will be amateur radio long after they have both departed. Those that believe other wise have grand illusions of being gifted with fore sight.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 11:34:58 AM »

Re: KC2QYM  reply #19

Well you have that correct, there was amateur radio long before the ARRL and equipment manufacturers showed up on the scene and there will be amateur radio long after they have both departed. Those that believe other wise have grand illusions of being gifted with fore sight.

Well that is a certainty.  The ARRL and all the rest can only survive if the numbers keep high enough for them to be profitable or at least break even.  When the numbers dip below that point all the companies including the manufactures will fold but there will still be hams for several decades after that.
W1IT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 07:06:19 AM »

CB and 11m free banding compared with ham radio. Well, let's see:

Being able to operate power amplifiers legally

Moonbounce  " Oh, what percentage do Moon Bouncers" Call em Moonies ?

Satellite   " Since time, accidents and rocket launches to high orbits are thing of past,, who cares. I do-not want to chase a stupid low orbiting satellite. I just had a 67 ghz dish put in and with one watt I do internet through Huges with a Geo" So where is YOUR old timer fantasy coming from?"

CW with your favorite paddle
"Oh, boy, but CW is no longer a requirement" All Nebies can't copy even an SOS.

Antennas that seem to fill the sky
" Oh, LORD help your poor Neighbors"

RTTY- " What say.. how fascinating a 1930's RTTY contact. Gish and Gosh a watermelon for all"

PSK31- " BORING"

Working the other side of the world on QRP- Life is too short for QRP

Slow scan TV- Oh God NO, do they still do this?

Repeaters- Oh, Boy How sickly fascinating

Hamfests-  Get ready Mister Green Jeans CapTin is coming

More technical knowledge produced by hams on the Internet than one man can study in a lifetime
" You dreamer and liar"

Homebrew
What, who does that ?

Nearly a hundred years of history

Would I be a ham again? In a heartbeat.

Peter DL8OV
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 07:50:19 AM »

Peter summed it up pretty well.

And there are plenty of other hobbies if you don't like this one. It is interesting to watch the posts of someone who has moved on from amateur radio, but won't leave.

Enjoy your new hobby - bashing amateur radio. At least there are no cumbersome rules like IDing every 10 minutes.  Wink
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 08:36:22 AM »

Re: N0YXB

Anybody besides me find it strange that W1IT can't ID every 10 min. on the air but has no problem doing so every time he starts a Topic or makes a post?
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 01:02:52 PM »

W1IT brings up some very good subjects and incites responses from many.  Yes, he is a critic of ham radio and a social commentator with an opinion.  That being the case, he has a right to say what's on his mind without the fear of being tarred and feathered by some intolerant brutes.  As long as he follows the rules, he has every right to speak freely...On the air or in a website posting.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 03:25:07 PM »

>The gentlemen talking about freebanders hit it right. <

that means, "I'm a free bander, I don't give a sh*t with whom I interfere or what essential or communications I jam, I don't care about other people at all."

So if he wants to drive a big tank on the wrong side of the road and kill people, too bad.... Same principle...

Such people are really antisocial, and need removing from the radio spectrum (maybe even from society!) because of their antisocial and selfish behaviour.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 06:51:20 AM »

RE: Peter DL8OV

That pretty much sums it up for me. I would become a ham again in a heartbeat.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: