Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Save your eyes at night: F.lux  (Read 2292 times)
KK6GNP

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2013, 10:57:10 AM »

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with F.lux (it's free software anyway).

In case this hasn't been posted here recently, I wanted to pass along a program that I use on my computers.  I know many ham ops are night owls, and starring at an electric-blue-white screen at night can feel like being stabbed in the eyes repeatedly with an ice pick.  What F.Lux does is automatically adjust the color temperature of your screen to coincide with sunset where you live.  The result is very warm light coming from your screen rather than blue light at night.

Link:  http://justgetflux.com/

Make sure to visit their research page to see why this program may be beneficial to your health.

When the color temp first changes each evening, the screen can look very orange-tinted, but your brain normalizes this after a minute or two, and white looks white again.  There is an option for a fast or slow transition as well, and if you need accurate color while working with art or something, you can disable the app in the tray.

There is apparently a Mac version, and I've used the Linux version on Ubuntu, though it was a little clunky.

Mobile Device Availability: 

iOS:  YES - but requires that your device is rooted (jailbroken).  I've used this on an iPad, and it's a true marvel.  One is left wondering why Apple has not integrated the feature already.
Android:  NO - but there is an alternative called EasyEyez in the app store that does not require your devices to be rooted.

This is a feature that should be built into every OS on the planet, in my opinion.  We've been fussing over ergonomics for decades, and nighttime color temperature is a big deal too.

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:24:54 AM »

I use this app on my iPhone, it is great!
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 01:29:31 PM »

All well and good, but for us photographers it's not practical. I do computer processing of my digital images and I need my monitor to have a consistent and somewhat neutral color temperature.  This is why I calibrate it periodically.
KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 04:56:09 PM »

All well and good, but for us photographers it's not practical. I do computer processing of my digital images and I need my monitor to have a consistent and somewhat neutral color temperature.  This is why I calibrate it periodically.

I mentioned this in my original post, but the program only kicks on when the sun goes down in your area, and turns off at sun-up. It can be disabled with a couples click of the tray icon.  

I process photography and video using Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Premiere on my workstation, and when I do at night, I disable F.lux so I have accurate color.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:01:56 PM by JEEPESCAPE » Logged

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: