Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows XP Sound Card Issue  (Read 911 times)
W0FM

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2003, 03:26:05 PM »

Since upgrading to Windows XP Professional from 98se I have experienced an annoying phenomenon which has me baffled.  I use Digipan, MixW, Logger 32, MMTTY and CWType with my FT-1000MP for PSK-31, RTTY (FSK) and CW (direct keying) operations.  

Approximatley once a day, I lose output from the soundcard.  When I open the Windows Volume Control sliders, I find that "something" has moved the "WAVE" slider all the way down to nothing.

If I return it to its normal setting (about 2/3 full scale) everything begins working again.  But it's just a matter of time until there is no output from the sound card and I find that the WAVE slider has, again, been reduced to zero output.

I can't link this event to anything that I am doing at the time.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is it possible that one of the ham digital mode software programs is doing this without my knowledge?  I'm stumped.

Terry, WØFM
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 07:33:54 PM »

Terry,  Have you updated the driver for the soundcard to XP driver?  Sounds like it might be a hardware issue as it happened after install of XP.  Also contact the company who makes the soundcard and find support for the product.  Also there was a update from Microsoft XP updates where the speaker icon failed to remain in the quick launch of the task bar, there was a patch for that, maybe related?
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 06:33:39 AM »

I am not sure how "SMART" XP is, but in some other
software I have used it also checks the "INPUT"
sound level and will shut off if the level is too
high. Could this be the problem with your setup ?
Could the audio from your rig be too hot ?
73 - Tim
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2003, 07:27:57 PM »

Thanks guys.  I have updated the driver with no result.  Also, the sound just turns off by itself with NO input, so audio overload is apparently not an issue.  

The computer can be working perfectly and I get up and walk away for an hour, then return, I have no sound until I reboot or open the volume controls and move that WAVE slider back up.  Spooky.

Terry, WØFM
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 02:19:09 PM »

Not spooky at all! It's not that MS Windows works as well as it does, it's more like a wonder that it works AT ALL!
K8LEA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2003, 09:41:09 PM »

Terry:

I have the opposite problem at times - XP seems to turn my sound card _up_ on it's own.

The result is that things like the boot-time WAV file knock you out of the room....

Nothing much to do with any particular software.

I'm guessing, though, that something is changing the setting.  

(Big help, right? [grin])

Windows Media Player can change the system volume settings, and I'm fairly sure that other programs (perhaps you've got other software that plays music or otherwise uses the sound system) can do the same thing, too.

I'd re-boot and test the program.  Then fire up the Media Player.  Then try again with your problem program. Then fire up something else that you use regularly, etc., until you find out what's breaking it.

(The problem, IMHO, is that any program that wants to can change those settings, and a game program's "audio levels" setting may propagate back to the system.)

If you do identify a particular program, you may find that there's an update for XP for it that doesn't forget to reset the audio levels when it ends....

Regards,

Stu K8LEA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: