Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to eliminate static electricity from meter face  (Read 3938 times)
WA6GUZ

Ignore
« on: August 21, 2013, 06:38:15 AM »

I have an old Heathkit tester which has a 3 inch square plastic meter on it. When I removed it from a plastic bag which I had it stored in, it caused the meter needle to go 1/4 way up the scale. Touching the plastic face of the meter with my fingers seems to make it move one way or the other. I know it is because of a static charge on the meter face. My question is, "how do I safely remove this charge from the meter face"?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 06:44:04 AM »

Lightly wipe it with a clean, moist cloth.

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 07:54:56 AM »

You can make your own anti-static spray. 

Combine about 8 oz of distilled water with about 2 oz of ordinary rubbing alcohol. 

Add one or two DROPS of dishwashing liquid soap. 

Put the mixture into a plastic spray bottle and shake it up. 

Spray the surface and then wipe but do not rinse. 

This will leave an almost microscopic layer of the soap on the surface, and that prevents the Static buildup. 

Works on rugs, floors, etc. as well, just spray the area and let the stuff dry normally.  Good for those dry winter months when walking across the rug yields the annoying static spark to the finger. 

And, this is pretty much the formula for the more expensive static sprays out there. 

KC9NVP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:13:01 AM »

The couple of times i have done it to my meters is use an anti-static dryer sheet.

David
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »

Huh, I have never heard of this before. Would not the charge dissipate eventually, especially once affixed to a metal chassis?
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 12:18:04 PM »

dryer sheets or using a little dishwashing detergent on a soft cloth originated among pilots during WWII when they had plastic facemasks and cockpit windows.

if the static environment continues... warm, dry, friction nearby of dissimilar materials like cotton/polyester jeans and a vinyl chair, for instance... you have to repeat as needed.
WA6GUZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 04:06:23 PM »

Tnx for all of your responses.  I made a copy of all responses to keep for future use.  After posting my question this morning I switched OFF my computer and left for about 5 hours.  When I got back, I was going to follow the first suggestion to lightly clean the surface with a damp clean cloth.  But when I went to my workbench and looked at the meter in question, the needle was back at 0(zero) where it was suppose to be.  I guess the static electricity just gradually discharged itself just letting it set.  I do appreciate all the suggestions and comments.  Tnx, 73's
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »

Breath on it.

Tanakasan
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 06:46:03 AM »

Wal-Mart and Rat Shack sell a spray just for that.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 08:29:41 AM »

Yes, you can purchase one of the many Anti-Stat sprays currently on the market today - or you can read my post above, follow those directions and very affordably mix your own jug of the stuff. 

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 11:02:15 AM »

A weak solution of Fabric Softener, so I've heard.

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 04:41:33 PM »

Sounds gross, maybe, but saliva works quite well.  As an added feature, if you want purple meters, have some grape juice (or a fine cabernet) just before.... Grin

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 08:33:04 AM »

Sounds gross, maybe, but saliva works quite well. 

Just don't let your wife catch you licking your meters. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: