Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Garage friendly 144/450 NMO antenna needed  (Read 34246 times)
K5HMD

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2013, 05:52:36 AM »

I have a Comet SS460SB 144/450 antenna, but it's spring is extremely stiff and it really takes a beating on my garage door.  It finally broke just above the loading coil.  Can someone recommend a antenna with a NMO connector that has a weaker spring, or a smaller diameter whip that will flex more easily?  The Comet antenna worked great, but just couldn't take the beating.

Thanks, Joe  K5HMD
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 06:40:03 AM »

There are a number of 16-20" dual band antennas out there that either have springs or are thin whips with formed coils instead of molded ones.  Barring those, there are a few that are more like rubber duck antennas that would be very flexible but will have a bit of a performance hit, and they tend to take a "set" (curl) after a while.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 11:13:17 AM »

It's my understanding NMO mounts are threaded (mine is.)  Why not just unscrew the antenna from the mount before you put the car in the garage?  I have a 37 inch TRAM antenna on an NMO mount on my truck and even though I don't have a garage, I remove the antenna and put a cap on the mount when i park the truck at the end of the day.
K5HMD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 06:07:03 AM »

I'm in and out of the garage several times a day, plus the antenna is on a van and the antenna is hard to get to.  I found a antenna on e-bay that is made from smaller diameter steel, plus it has a loading coil made from the same steel that acts as a spring.  I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks,
Joe
W7CLC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »

Larsen 2/70S, the S is for either Special or Spring, but it's short and tough.  Mine hasn't broken despite hundreds of impacts with my garage and hundreds of impacts in parking garages.  The plastic bead on the tip is long gone though.
N4NLQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 04:54:30 PM »

I have a dual band 2/440 antenna on an NMO mount made by Austin Antennas.  Sorry I don't remember the model number but it looks a lot like a rubber duck with a short stainless steel whip sticking out of the top.  I believe it works as a slightly loaded 1/4 wave on 2 meters and an elevated 1/4 wave on 440. 

It's only about 18" tall and is essentially unity gain on both bands but it works for me.  I've had it on my truck for a couple of years now and it still looks and works like it did when new.  I found it in HRO's online catalog.  Mine came from stock at the Woodbridge (VA) store.

Allan - N4NLQ
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »

Allan -

Austin Antenna, Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of World Wireless Communications, Inc.
That company (WWRL.PK) was delisted on October 15, 2012 with 31 million shares outstanding.

Charles Taylor - President, CEO, Director.

Mr. Taylor was elected one of the Directors in July, 1999 and was elected as a member of the Audit, Compensation and Stock Option Committees on November 11, 1999. During the period from 1995 through December 31, 2000, Mr. Taylor has been a senior investment advisor with Amerindo Investment Advisors based in New York City and is a senior member of a team that manages approximately $4 billion in growth portfolios, including the Amerindo Technology Fund. Prior to such period, Mr. Taylor served as a technology analyst with several major investment banking firm. Mr. Taylor is now self-employed.
==
World Wireless Communications, Inc. is a developer of wired and wireless telemetry communications and remote control systems and products. The Company's proprietary technology, X-traWeb, consists of three parts, of which the first is the X-Node. The X-Node is a miniature Web server compacted into a one-square-inch circuit board that often requires less than two kilobytes of memory. This miniature Web server collects information from a remote piece of equipment and makes that information available via the Internet. The second part of the technology is the Company's product for large-scale installations, the X-Gate. The X-Gate is an Internet gateway that can collect information over a wired or wireless network from a substantial number of X-Nodes (such as an array of vending machines), and transmit the information to an information repository via the Internet. This transmission device provides the connection to the Internet and translates the data between the connected devices and formats it for use on the Internet. Completing the Company's technology is the business-to-business Website it developed, located in the Denver, Colorado, area. This database-driven site has been used to collect the operations and transactional data that has been transmitted from a customer's remote equipment, then store it securely for delivery to authorized customer personnel in raw form, or process and format it into standard or customized reports using software the Company employs.
The Company also develops digital radios in the 900-megahertz (MHZ) and 2.4-gigahertz bands. In addition, it manufactures and sells antennas. The Company supports its customers with a range of services designed to help integrate its products into the customers' systems. This support includes engineering consultation with every developer kit purchase, customer satisfaction and quality control programs and, in some cases, complete turnkey solutions for large projects.

Antennas
The Company also manufactures and sells antennas.
Its Gonic, New Hampshire-based subsidiary, TWC Ltd., maintains approximately 80 different design executions of specialty antennae for use in law enforcement, marine and custom applications.
The Company has a number of competitors in all aspects of its business, including Panasonic, Motorola, Sony and AT&T.
==
Austin Antenna has a shell web page, via GoDaddy.com
http://austinantennas.com/#

Austin Antenna
61 Airport Drive Unit 2
Rochester, New Hampshire 03867
United States
+1-603-335-6339
N4NLQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »

Greg,

Thank you so much for your note regarding Austin Antenna and its parent company.  I thought the antenna I bought had the heft and appearance of a commercial unit.

I just got bent back almost 90 degrees under a tree limb this afternoon and bounced right back up.  I'll be more careful with THAT driveway in the future.

Allan
K9AAV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 07:52:46 AM »

Joe,   You might want to consider what I'm going to do for the upcoming winter.   I will be putting a Diamond K9000LRM motorized antenna mount on the luggage rack of my Dodge Van.   Than when I get home and want to park inside my newly cleaned out garage I can just hit the button and the antenna will lower from vertical to a horizontal position.   Read great reports on this unit but it is a little pricey.  ($110 plus the dual band antenna).   Than you are
free to use any good antenna of your choice.   I'm going to putting a dual band Diamond NR770HB on my motorized mount.   This will also allow your vehicle to use parking ramps & drive ins etc.    Just my .02 cents worth.
Denny
K9AAV
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 09:23:31 AM »

Next steps, adding obstruction sensors (ultra-sound?) that sound alarm (to driver)
and then lower mobile antenna automatically.
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 09:58:54 PM »

If the UHF repeaters in the area have good coverage, try a 1/4w on 2m for use on UHF....some of the real thin ones are springy and can bend back with no issues....dont try a gain antennas for UHF, none of them will do what you want....A Larsen KG2/70 on glass may work depending on the type of glass you have on the auto. (As they recommend, do NOT mount on the front windshield....the loss is horrible there)
Once out of the road for a trip, you could switch to a NMO2/70 or similar dualband antenna (I like my Larsens)

Chris
WB5ITT
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 03:28:11 AM »

I'm with Chris on the 1/4 wave antennas.

Use separate quarter wave antennas for VHF and UHF and use a Duplexer to hook them both up to the one radio antenna socket.

The performance degradation compared to the 5/8 waves or more will actually be quite minimal in use - I can detect no noticable difference to a repeater 50 miles away comparing my 5/8 2m to my 1/4 wave 2m. If the repeaters are on hilltops considerably higher than where you are the quarter waves may actually perform better with the higher take off angle.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 09:02:07 PM »

Simple solution - hood lip mount. No more clearance issues!
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 12:38:38 AM »

Simple solution - hood lip mount. No more clearance issues!

Indeed. Instead you get potential SWR issues due to the antenna being masked by the body, lower range due to it being mounted lower as well a notable increase in directivity due to it being mounted in one corner of the vehicle.

KA1NTG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 09:25:52 AM »

I have a dual band 2/440 antenna on an NMO mount made by Austin Antennas.  Sorry I don't remember the model number but it looks a lot like a rubber duck with a short stainless steel whip sticking out of the top.  I believe it works as a slightly loaded 1/4 wave on 2 meters and an elevated 1/4 wave on 440. 

It's only about 18" tall and is essentially unity gain on both bands but it works for me.  I've had it on my truck for a couple of years now and it still looks and works like it did when new.  I found it in HRO's online catalog.  Mine came from stock at the Woodbridge (VA) store.

Allan - N4NLQ

I believe you're talking about the 500C. I have one (the soft top, 500CS) and it's by far my favorite dual-bander. Much smaller than the 2/70 and hits the repeaters slightly easier. http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-004773
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: