Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ready to Test, and Blown Away!  (Read 16989 times)
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 10:10:21 PM »

I wish [the KX3] was a bit more rugged, but considering all it can do, I can live with the trade-off there.

I have been following your quest to find what you are looking for and have restrained myself from giving advice, being bright green behind my ham ears myself. However, if you are afraid the KX3 isn't rugged enough, I can chime in. I carry mine to my portable sites in a tiny hard case (like Pelican) that I stuff in my big bag with all the other gear (battery, straight key, wires and cables, etc). Once at the site, it sits on my table that I bring but I would feel just as comfortable having it in the grass or on my thigh. BTW, I use it with a multiband dipole that I ull up in my favorite tree in the park by the lake.

I was pleased to see that you have found out for yourself that this KX3 offers most of what you want now in one rig. With your portable use in mind, make sure you get the ATU and, for CW, the roofing filter too.

Good luck with your tests!

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 10:27:23 AM »

I wish [the KX3] was a bit more rugged, but considering all it can do, I can live with the trade-off there.

I have been following your quest to find what you are looking for and have restrained myself from giving advice, being bright green behind my ham ears myself. However, if you are afraid the KX3 isn't rugged enough, I can chime in. I carry mine to my portable sites in a tiny hard case (like Pelican) that I stuff in my big bag with all the other gear (battery, straight key, wires and cables, etc). Once at the site, it sits on my table that I bring but I would feel just as comfortable having it in the grass or on my thigh. BTW, I use it with a multiband dipole that I ull up in my favorite tree in the park by the lake.

I was pleased to see that you have found out for yourself that this KX3 offers most of what you want now in one rig. With your portable use in mind, make sure you get the ATU and, for CW, the roofing filter too.

Good luck with your tests!

Thanks for the reply.  I was also pointed in the direction of these killer addons for the KX3 in another thread.  If I get the KX3, I will get these at the same time, then start looking for a case too:
http://gemsproducts.com/

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 09:56:54 PM »

Hey, everyone.

Just wanted to update this thread with my progress.  Yesterday I was about half way through my first read of the General study book, when figured I would email my local VE and see when the testing session was for Sept.  Turned out, the test was TONIGHT!  Originally I had hoped to pass both Tech and General at the same time, but I would have had to wait until October for that so I could study for General properly, so I decided to just go get Tech done tonight.

I took the Tech test and scored 100%! The VE looked up and said "You aced it".. haha  I took a shot at the General test, and missed it by one, so no go.  That's ok though. I was surprised I did that good considering I was only half way through studying the book for the test.  I'm not sure I would have been happy if I passed missing eight or something anyway.  I'd like to score much higher than that for my own personal satisfaction.

So, now I just wait for my call sign!  In the mean time, I have a full month to study for General and Extra before the next test session, so I'm going to keep my momentum up and just power through it. 

Thanks to everyone here who has helped answer my questions, and wished me well in my testing!

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 06:10:24 AM »

Just wanted to update this thread with my progress. 
I took the Tech test and scored 100%!

Congrats on your success. Welcome to Hamradio.

I agree with your comments about Hamtest Online. I used it to get my Extra license. I am not a real technical ham and a lot of the Extra class questions befuddled me. With the help of Hamtest OnLine I scored 96% which amazed me. Hamtest OnLine did it, not me..

Keep using Hamtest Online, it will make your Extra upgrade relatively painless.

Stan  K9IUQ
WD3N

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 08:02:25 AM »

Hey Jeepscape..Congrats on passing your tech test and for keeping at the study for the next levels .
kb3yhn
KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 04:23:28 PM »

Thanks for the congrats, guys.  I'm looking forward to getting my call sign bigtime.  I'm going to keep my nose in the book though so I'm read to test again in October for General, and maybe Extra too.

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 06:33:53 PM »

JEEPSCAPE:  Congrats!!  Bust into it for the General and NO MAYBE for the Extra.  Studying for these tests is like driving in deep mud or snow.  You stop and it's very difficult to get going again. 

See how far you got with just winging the General test?  You're on a roll man..... don't stop!!
KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 07:41:31 PM »

JEEPSCAPE:  Congrats!!  Bust into it for the General and NO MAYBE for the Extra.  Studying for these tests is like driving in deep mud or snow.  You stop and it's very difficult to get going again. 

See how far you got with just winging the General test?  You're on a roll man..... don't stop!!

Haha.. thanks man. There is no maybe on Extra.  I'm getting it for sure.  I'm going to take both tests at the October session. I should have enough time to study for both.

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »

good job, congrats and welcome to the obsession. , I mean hobby Smiley
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 09:47:55 AM »

I currently drive a Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4" on 33's.  One thing this Jeep has none of is creature comforts, but I am going to get the 2014 4-Door Wrangler this Winter, which is a lot more comfy inside.  Still amazing off-road though!  Out here I can run with the top off the Jeep 2/3 of the year, and I usually do.

Unfortunately for me, as far as antennas go, I'm limited to what I can get away with in my typical tract home with an HOA.  I figure learning stealth designs will be fun way to start out in a little home-brew, ...
Cory -

Many of the HOA and CC&R in this area prohibit, boats, trailers, off-road jeeps sitting outdoors on driveways (or public streets) over 24 hours.  One reason many new houses since late 1989s have 3 car garages in the area.
Basically, trying to prevent neighborhoods from turning into ...  (You get the idea)

Good luck on the camouflage.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:52:52 AM by W9GB » Logged
KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 10:52:32 PM »

Hey, everyone!

Got my call sign today!  I am officially KK6GNP!

Not sure how long I will have it, since I'm aiming for my Extra ticket, but it sure feels great to be official!

Thanks for all the help in this thread and others I have started.  You all made me feel welcomed to the community as a newbie.

- Cory

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 02:59:50 AM »

Congratulations!

And as Kasey Kasem used to  say... "Keep reaching for the stars!"
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: