Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Antenna Not Working  (Read 2914 times)
K5RT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 02:11:07 PM »

Have you checked the ladder line section to make sure you've got good connections? Is its length correct?

Keep digging, we'll help you get it sorted out. After, is just wire

Vy 73
Paul
KD0NFY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 02:33:55 PM »

I use a propane torch to solder the braid on a PL-259.  You have to be quick but it works like a charm. 
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 04:07:56 PM »

I use 2 different soldering irons when putting on a PL-259. A nice Weller temperature controlled iron for the centre conductor and a 100 watt brute for the braid connections.

I have learnt to ohm the connector and each stage of the assembly. I also only use Teflon silver plated connectors and top notch coax now. I learnt the hard way.

73 Mark N1UK
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 04:10:29 PM »

Well, I took out my coax and put new connectors on and tested the cable and the connectors. Everything is good there, thanks for the tips on soldering them. I have a Hakko soldering iron that allows me to bring the temp up all the way to 900 degrees F. I set it at 775 degrees. I found that things went along much better using a vice to hold the cable and 75mm solder. the smaller stuff was easier to work with.  After  connecting everything again I have found that I did see some improvements on 80, 40, and 20. Everything else is still to high.
I guess I should have mentioned that I am using a IC-706mkII with an Icom AT-180 tuner.  I was expecting that the tuner would do a better job. Even on 20 it seems that it struggles to bring the reading to 2. I am beginning to wonder if there was something wrong with the tuner.

Did you read my link about the G5RV? There are other steps involved to get a G5RV on other bands. Tuner still needed. There is some additional matching needed.
I do not think that a G5RV is directly connected to a tuner.
Fred
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 04:25:42 PM »

Maybe your idea is the problem but how high is it, where is the feedline in relation to the antenna, the laddeline stub is critical to this antenna, you say 20 is better, not surprising as antenna is actually designed for that frequency, the other bands were a happy coinincidence and only have a low swr if install is perfect.
Bob
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 04:31:53 PM »

I guess I should have mentioned that I am using a IC-706mkII with an Icom AT-180 tuner.  I was expecting that the tuner would do a better job.

The AT-180 and the G5RV are not a good match (pun intended). The AT-180 is essentially limited to a maximum SWR of 3:1. The G5RV SWR is higher than 3:1 on a lot of frequencies. For instance, on 80m the G5RV SWR dips down to 3:1 minimum. You need a better tuner or a better antenna. My suggestion is that you convert your G5RV to a ZS6BKW which will work with the AT-180 on 40m, 20m, 17m, and 12m plus the upper part of 10m.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
AB1TS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 04:35:04 PM »

Did you read my link about the G5RV? There are other steps involved to get a G5RV on other bands. Tuner still needed. There is some additional matching needed.
I do not think that a G5RV is directly connected to a tuner.rything again I have found that I did see some improvements on 80, 40, and 20. Everything else is still to high.
I guess I should have mentioned that I am using a IC-706mkII with an Icom AT-180 tuner.  I was expecting that the tuner would do a better job. Even on 20 it seems that it struggles to bring the reading to 2. I am beginning to wonder if there was something wrong with the tuner.
Fred

Hi Fred,
Thanks and yes I did read your post. It seems that according to that information, my antenna is working like it should. I guess I was expecting my tuner to do more than it was capable of. Thanks for the link.
Sean
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 04:37:37 PM »

Quote from: AB1TS

... I did see some improvements on 80, 40, and 20. Everything else is still to high...

That's not surprising.  The AT180 is only rated to match up to 3 : 1 SWR.  The SWR
on a G5RV will be higher than this on all bands except 80, 40, 20 and 12m when the
antenna is properly installed.  (Otherwise even those bands might be iffy.)

You need a tuner with a wider matching range to use it on other bands, and then
you also have to consider the losses in the feedline at the higher SWR.

Here is another analysis of the G5RV that shows some of the issues:

http://www.vk1od.net/antenna/G5RV/index.htm

N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 04:49:59 PM »

I see you are very new ham and picked a commercial antenna that is not easy for a first attempt as it is tricky for everybody, new or or old farts, and as stated needs a wideband tuner to work multiple bands. Won't belabor the store bought thing ,but now you have it, get it as high and flattopped as you can and be ready to buy an external tuner to get it working.
Good luck
Bob
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: