Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best/most used Digital mode for long haul DX?  (Read 3300 times)
WALTERB

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2013, 01:03:38 PM »

I'm assuming its JT65?
I'm just wondering what would be considered the best digital mode (minus CW)  that would have the most worldwide users,  reach out the farthest (most bang for the watt)?

JT65 isn't the most widely used but you can get a long way for a just a few watts.

So would it be RTTY if you want to talk to most of the countries in Africa?   The Indian Ocean rim? 

thanks.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »

JT65 has excellent reach, but is actually a poor mode if there are multiple stations calling--so it works a lot better for common stations contacting each other.

RTTY doesn't have as much reach, but does much better in pileups compared to JT65.  Seems to be the preferred mode of DX-peditioners.

PSK31 seems to be in the middle somewhere, but I need to work on my PSK31 pileup skills--which is hard--because there are relatively few pileups to practice on--compared to RTTY.

Zack W1VT
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 03:13:12 PM »

I don't mean this in a bad way or anything, but the best mode is whatever the DX station is using and is proficient with.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 05:00:43 PM »

I'd say RTTY.  Pretty much all the big DXpeds run RTTY almost exclusively.  Good rate and can handle flutter and multipath and still make QSOs, much more so than PSK.  JT65 is great but not in a pileup, and the rate.   Grin

The upcoming CQWW RTTY contest a modest station can easily work DXCC during the test.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 06:24:13 PM »

Naw...... Its CW......  NO doubt! Cool

Gene AF3Y
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 04:15:17 AM »

If you are going for DXCC Digital, you can't beat a good ole' RTTY contest. I have DXCC Digital and an overwhelming majority of those contacts are from contesting. Your next best opportunity is a month away with the CQ Worldwide DX RTTY Contest on the weekend of September 28-29.

http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/cq_contests/cq_ww_rtty_dx_contest/cq_ww_rtty_dx_contest_rules/2013_cq_ww_rtty_dx_contest_rules.pdf

My personal recommendation for contest logging is N1MM. There is a bit of a learning curve so I would suggest downloading it now and familiarizing yourself with it. Oh, and its free!

http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php

However, for casual contacts, I have had very good luck with a member of the PSK family. Of course PSK31 is by far the most popular, but don't discount PSK63 and PSK125. My only confirmation with the UK Base on Cyprus (ZC4) was on PSK63 and even though I have St. Helena (ZD7) in my log on CW, phone and RTTY, my only PSK contact was on PSK125.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 04:48:31 AM »

Gene AF3Y

WALTERB said not to include CW!

W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 05:21:20 AM »

If you have a small station and want to work as much DX as you possibly can, you should learn how to use as many modes as you can--just in case a DX station wants to try something new.  Cheesy

You don't have to be an expert to work DX on digital--it is more important be there at the right time, preferably with a good signal.  I worked Mt Athos while learning to do RTTY, ZC4 while learning to do PSK, and ZD7 while learning to do JT9.  I have QSLs to prove I actually made those contacts. 

I have a coworker with a very modest station that worked Iraq on Oliva Grin

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 05:46:12 AM »

If you have a small station and want to work as much DX as you possibly can, you should learn how to use as many modes as you can--just in case a DX station wants to try something new.  Cheesy

You don't have to be an expert to work DX on digital--it is more important be there at the right time, preferably with a good signal.  I worked Mt Athos while learning to do RTTY, ZC4 while learning to do PSK, and ZD7 while learning to do JT9.  I have QSLs to prove I actually made those contacts. 

I have a coworker with a very modest station that worked Iraq on Oliva Grin

Ditto.  My one and only T6 contact was on PSK31.

Jonathan W6GX
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 06:23:54 AM »

I thought that the question was if you have ONE digi mode for DXing which would you select.  I'd still say you'll find more RTTY DX than any other mode, especially during contests and DXpeds. 

That said I agree completely to have all modes ready in your arsenal.  If Monk Apollo is QRV on Clover I'm ready!
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 07:10:40 AM »

If you need more reach than you get with RTTY, perhaps you should consider improving your station. 

For instance, 9X0ZM showed up on JT65, but good luck trying to work him though the pileup with a modest station, even in the wee hours of the morning--9X is rare enough that there will be folks waiting for him at all hours of the day.

Fortunately, I was able to get him on RTTY for an ATNO  Grin
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 08:20:14 AM »

Gene AF3Y

only because i only know about 8 characters.  I'll have to get off my backside and learn it I gues..  Grin
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 08:23:43 AM »

If you need more reach than you get with RTTY, perhaps you should consider improving your station. 

For instance, 9X0ZM showed up on JT65, but good luck trying to work him though the pileup with a modest station, even in the wee hours of the morning--9X is rare enough that there will be folks waiting for him at all hours of the day.

9X Rare?  #129 on the ClubLog Most Wanted List.
Gene AF3Y
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 08:25:35 AM »

Gene AF3Y

When WALTERB starts putting his CALLSIGN on his posts, I "might" start doing as he asks.
Gene AF3Y
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 08:25:46 AM »

Actually, I worked 9X0ZM this past week on JT65 with my 80m Skywire Loop antenna on 20 watts.  Wink
He and a couple of guys in South Africa seem to be the only ones in the entire continent who use JT65.  Well, I worked my one and only Egypt station on JT65 last month.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: