Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTW for CQ WAZ  (Read 4434 times)
EI2GLB

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »

Hi All

Anyone have any idea when LOTW will start to support WAZ,

I know the have started with WPX but thats been in place for a while now,

I have about 170 of 200 worked for 5 band WAZ and there is no way I am going to dig out all the cards for that.

I got plain WAZ using eQsl

still never got my cert but I'm sure it will turn up some time this year.

Thanks
Trevor
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 01:38:12 PM »

Anyone have any idea when LOTW will start to support WAZ

Not soon enough! I wish they would have done WAZ first and WPX later.
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 04:33:46 PM »

Ditto both above!
eQSL only supports WAZ Mixed.
I've qualified for basic 5BWAZ, but don't fancy sorting and sending cards!
Luke VK3HJ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 07:13:39 PM »

Hi All

See the ARRL LoTW Study Committee's first report.

Dave, AA6YQ
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 07:23:39 PM »

Hi All

I don't get it. The report is about allocating resources for reliability/maintainability improvements, not supporting WAZ. Only obliquely is WAZ even hinted at:

Quote from: LotW Study Committee
One of the original reasons for the LotW committee was to explore whether there are other services of LotW that could be monetized, or other ways to deliver service, etc. In general, the committee agrees that there are other service definitions, and that these could be an important part of defining Logbook’s criticality. Part of “stopping digging”, however, is to avoid raising new expectations while we are still shoring up the foundations.
In other words, keeping the thing running is more important right now than adding stuff.

- WX2S
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 07:28:16 PM by WX2S » Logged

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 07:40:42 PM »

Remove support for WPX and add WAZ in its place,

WPX is a mess when it comes to LOTW it costs hundreds of $$$'s to get the awards with all the credits needed. I'm sure that was the main reason in picking it over any other CQ award.

If the system can't handle a simple award like WAZ then there is some serious issues they need to solve.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 07:42:46 PM »

Anyone have any idea when LOTW will start to support WAZ

Not soon enough! I wish they would have done WAZ first and WPX later.

Amen. WAZ in my opinion is by far a more valuable award. In fact, I think that WPX is something I do not even want. Working prefixes to me is just not important. Countries and zones. Zones seem to be the hardest.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 08:43:51 PM »

Hi All

I don't get it. The report is about allocating resources for reliability/maintainability improvements, not supporting WAZ. Only obliquely is WAZ even hinted at:

Quote from: LotW Study Committee
One of the original reasons for the LotW committee was to explore whether there are other services of LotW that could be monetized, or other ways to deliver service, etc. In general, the committee agrees that there are other service definitions, and that these could be an important part of defining Logbook’s criticality. Part of “stopping digging”, however, is to avoid raising new expectations while we are still shoring up the foundations.
In other words, keeping the thing running is more important right now than adding stuff.

Before more functionality is added, LoTW should first be made more reliable, maintainable, and scalable.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 09:57:42 PM »

Before more functionality is added, LoTW should first be made more reliable, maintainable, and scalable.

Yes, lets get things running fine, lets get things working 100%, then lets add things...  Very good point!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 08:36:46 AM »

Amen. WAZ in my opinion is by far a more valuable award.

It WAS, until they started accepting EQSL. I took my certificate off the wall and put it away.
I wonder how many WAZ certificates have been awarded, using BOGUS QSLs........ Angry Angry
Gene AF3Y
AJ8MH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 11:18:46 AM »

I took my certificate off the wall and put it away.

One of the ops took his 5BDXCC plaque and had it nailed between some deer antlers at a local pub.  Wonder what happened there?  Nothing like a good drink after missing a rare one...

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 11:36:14 AM »

VK3HJ wrote:
eQSL only supports WAZ Mixed.
I've qualified for basic 5BWAZ, but don't fancy sorting and sending cards!

Luke, you'll be pleased to know this is not true!

Although the WAZ interface on the eQSL website only reports confirmations for Mixed WAZ, any of your "AG" QSL's can be used for other WAZ awards. I dealt with this recently in my application for 12m CW WAZ.  I recommend e-mailing CQ WAZ manager (Floyd, N5FG) if you have questions in this regard.   

Chuck  NI0C
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 11:43:02 AM »

AF3Y wrote:
I wonder how many WAZ certificates have been awarded, using BOGUS QSLs...

It's as easy to get "Bogus" paper QSL's as eQSL's, Gene. I doubt there's much in the way of intentional fraud.  "Bogus" QSl's generally result from busted call signs.

Chuck  NI0C
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »

I have about 170 of 200 worked for 5 band WAZ and there is no way I am going to dig out all the cards for that.
If you don't want to put out the effort then don't. It just shows that you are really not all that interested in it.
People have been digging through hundreds and hundreds of cards for these awards for years even with LOTW or eQSL around.
Before that you didn't have much choice.
The smart thing to do is sort them as you get them for different awards. I have done that for 5BDXCC and 5BWAS and also 6 meters WAS. And yes that is all cards entirely. Then there is mixed, phone and CW for DXCC, WAZ, and JA prefectures.
I had to dig through a LOT of cards to get organized and research what some cards were good for along the way.

Ham up! Spend the time to get caught up and organized. Between cards and LOTW you probably are already good for 5BWAZ or 5BDXCC if you don't already have it.

Or, just keep working stuff until you are there in LOTW and the ARRL and CQ Magazine get together on a few more things. It is bound to happen sooner or later.

They have approved a budget for hiring an IT person to improve the LOTW system just recently.
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »

I wonder how many WAZ certificates have been awarded, using BOGUS QSLs.......

Probably very few, if any.

It's not like you just enter data into an online form and a printer spits out an award and mails it to you.  QSLs still get checked by appointed card checkers.  I'd wager ALL the CQ award checkers have a pretty good idea of who is active from any perceived "tough" zones.  And if one really needs to create a bogus QSL for something like zone 14 or 15, well, they have a whole lot of other problems going on.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: