Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do you find out about upcoming hardware?  (Read 588 times)
KK6GNP

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2013, 10:25:40 AM »

I noticed that Ham Fair 2013 just went down in Tokyo, and I have been looking around online for media that covers new ham hardware coming down the line, but haven't found much.  I'm assuming some of it will be in the ARRL magazines when I can become a member, but are there any other/better sources for this kind of info?  I like to keep up with new developments in my hobbies.

Thanks in advance.

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 12:48:44 PM »

Websearch is your friend, many of the paper magazines also have online websites, adverts, etc. 

Also search up the Amateur Radio equipment dealers online, this is a good way to find out what is actually being stocked of the new stuff and not some illusory rig that isn't actually on the market yet, etc.  One can also order hard copy catalogs from these places in general, good references for the shack bookshelf, and lots of learning for the new ham in them. 

And you don't have to wait to get a callsign in order to order a subscription to QST magazine, BTW.  Unless they've recently changed something, which is doubtful, they are in the business of selling magazines, after all, and also promoting the hobby. 

KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:28:55 PM »

Thanks, KE3WD.

I've done quite a bit of searching, but haven't found much info at all about radios that are in development, releasing in the coming months or 2014.  For any given industry there is usually at least one trusted source where such info is aggregated, but I haven't found it yet for amateur equipment.

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 03:50:50 PM »

Thanks, KE3WD.

I've done quite a bit of searching, but haven't found much info at all about radios that are in development, releasing in the coming months or 2014.  For any given industry there is usually at least one trusted source where such info is aggregated, but I haven't found it yet for amateur equipment.

There really isn't any.

However, a lot of what is "advertised" today isn't even available yet!  Anything "brand new" in QST for example (new rig, advertised for the first time) is likely not yet released, so we know about developments months before the gear is available via that method.

In some cases, "years" before it's really available -- such as the Flex 6700.  That was advertised in 2012 and they just started making shipments quite recently.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: