Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS130 S-meter issue  (Read 8441 times)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2013, 11:42:06 PM »

I've noticed lately that the S meter on my TS130 seems to be broken. I turn the radio on and it will pop up to about S3 and stay there. It still works with stronger signals, but it takes a lot to move it. There was a thread in another eham forum about a meter on a Heathkit tester doing something similar, and the cause there was static electricity. I was wondering if there is the same problem with my 130, and how do I get to the meter to de-static it? The radio is right next to my laptop.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 12:05:35 AM »

I don't think static is the reason. The meter signal goes via a relay (R1-3) which sits on the filter unit PCB. I'd suspect the contacts need cleaning.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 07:18:02 AM »

I don't think static is the reason. The meter signal goes via a relay (R1-3) which sits on the filter unit PCB. I'd suspect the contacts need cleaning.

I'm not familiar with the architecture of these radios, so I would have no idea where that relay would be located, nor how to pop it out and clean it. Guess I will have to find a service manual online somewhere.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 09:06:35 AM »

Do a search, there are lots of sources where to get the manual. As I said, the relay is on the filter unit. I do not know whether you can get to the contacts.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 09:52:37 AM »

Do a search, there are lots of sources where to get the manual. As I said, the relay is on the filter unit. I do not know whether you can get to the contacts.

I know that the relays on these old Kenwoods can be difficult to pop out. I tried removing the mic relay when I thought it had a problem (it didn't), and couldn't. Anybody have any advice for handling the relay without damaging it?
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 10:43:30 AM »

I've noticed lately that the S meter on my TS130 seems to be broken. I turn the radio on and it will pop up to about S3 and stay there. It still works with stronger signals, but it takes a lot to move it. There was a thread in another eham forum about a meter on a Heathkit tester doing something similar, and the cause there was static electricity. I was wondering if there is the same problem with my 130, and how do I get to the meter to de-static it? The radio is right next to my laptop.

First make sure that this isn't just the result of the RF Gain Control setting.  That means to try turning the RF Gain fully counterclockwise. 

Forgive me if you already know that, these days it seems there are a number of hams out there who don't.  Turn the RF Gain up, the S meter rises along with that, intentionally by design. 

Here's hoping that is all it is, and not time for the cost of troubleshoot and repair. 

KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 10:58:35 AM »

First make sure that this isn't just the result of the RF Gain Control setting.  That means to try turning the RF Gain fully counterclockwise. 

Forgive me if you already know that, these days it seems there are a number of hams out there who don't.  Turn the RF Gain up, the S meter rises along with that, intentionally by design. 

Here's hoping that is all it is, and not time for the cost of troubleshoot and repair. 

I didn't know that if you turn the RF gain fully counterclockwise, the S meter will rise, actually.  Roll Eyes Tongue  Thanks for telling me.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »

Sure enough, that's what it was. I had accidentally turned the RF gain up just enough so that it pegged the meter at S3. It must have happened when I was messing with the AF gain to get a weak station.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »

Update: With the RF Gain properly set, the S meter STILL doesn't work correctly. How do I pop the relay out and clean it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: