Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SWL Member  (Read 24163 times)
DL0025SWL

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2013, 12:14:05 AM »

Hello to all. I would like to once again say thank you to the founder of this website. I'm glad that there are people that need to be SWLern also allow register here. Unfortunately, this is not at all homepages that. Many see the SWL hobby not as a hobby to people who "only" SWL to bring the subject closer to amateur radio. But I've heard from many that were previously SWL, they have thereby get a good introduction to the examination for radio amateur and it was significantly easier to pass the exam. Especially with the Call Book homepages, such as even in the LoTW I have found that many or most any record SWL as a member. I think that they should think again about the thorough and should include SWL. I hope it at least for the future that will not change anything else.

73 your DL0025SWL (Hartmut)
VU2NAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 07:03:22 AM »

Hallo Hartmut,

Erhalten Sie Ihre Amateurfunklizenz sehr bald.

Gl├╝ck!

Nandu.
WA4053SWL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 09:46:16 PM »

Hello and welcome,
This is a great site, one of my favorites, unfortunately not all websites allow SWL.
I think it should be a requirement before HAM, having to listen a lot.
I started in 1985 to listen amateur radio, I heard many things, good and bad.
Now I'm just interested in contest, DX-peditions and complete my DXCC list on phone and CW in any HF bands.
73 de George
DL0025SWL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 02:55:13 AM »

Hello.
For all interested SWL Worldwide:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/408253409304469/

73 Hartmut
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 12:28:16 PM »

Hello to all. I would like to once again say thank you to the founder of this website. I'm glad that there are people that need to be SWLern also allow register here. Unfortunately, this is not at all homepages that. Many see the SWL hobby not as a hobby to people who "only" SWL to bring the subject closer to amateur radio. But I've heard from many that were previously SWL, they have thereby get a good introduction to the examination for radio amateur and it was significantly easier to pass the exam. Especially with the Call Book homepages, such as even in the LoTW I have found that many or most any record SWL as a member. I think that they should think again about the thorough and should include SWL. I hope it at least for the future that will not change anything else.

73 your DL0025SWL (Hartmut)

Hello Hartmut!  I started my radio hobby when I discovered my mother's GE Superadio, and was hooked on AM DXing.  Then as a teenager I bought a Radio Shack scanner, which I eventually got rid of and upgraded to an Icom R-20, which was good for BCB DXing, scanner duties, and SWL.  Eventually I also purchased an IC-R3 for video scanning, and then decided to get my amateur radio license.  I don't think radio amateurs look down upon SWLs, we are happy to see anybody become interested in the radio hobby.  However, as you said, I do think that most amateurs were SWLs or scanner listeners before they became hams.  Enjoy your radio hobby (shortwave is still hot in Europe, not so much here in North America) and if you ever become interested in amateur radio I hope to have a QSO with you.
KD9VV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 12:16:27 PM »

Many see the SWL hobby not as a hobby to people who "only" SWL to bring the subject closer to amateur radio. But I've heard from many that were previously SWL, they have thereby get a good introduction to the examination for radio amateur and it was significantly easier to pass the exam.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've actually gone around the horn on this one.

I started out like many in CB, progressed to SWL and then got my ham ticket.
Did all the various modes of operation, talked to people all over the world, satellites, digital modes, etc etc...

Then I went thru the "been there, done that" phase..and to be 100% honest, I no longer have a burning desire to contest or sit at my desk listening to pileups and all 5-9 sig rpts. LOL

Don't get me wrong, I find amateur radio a great hobby, though it is nothing like it was when many were experimenting and actually contributing something useful to the advancement of radio comms.

Enter the age of the internet and cell phones. The interest in ham radio dropped like a rock.

Now; here I am some 30 years later with more of a interest in (LISTENING) than talking.

I think one learns more by listennig.

73's

Pete
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 03:50:16 PM »

Many see the SWL hobby not as a hobby to people who "only" SWL to bring the subject closer to amateur radio. But I've heard from many that were previously SWL, they have thereby get a good introduction to the examination for radio amateur and it was significantly easier to pass the exam.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've actually gone around the horn on this one.

I started out like many in CB, progressed to SWL and then got my ham ticket.
Did all the various modes of operation, talked to people all over the world, satellites, digital modes, etc etc...

Then I went thru the "been there, done that" phase..and to be 100% honest, I no longer have a burning desire to contest or sit at my desk listening to pileups and all 5-9 sig rpts. LOL

Don't get me wrong, I find amateur radio a great hobby, though it is nothing like it was when many were experimenting and actually contributing something useful to the advancement of radio comms.

Enter the age of the internet and cell phones. The interest in ham radio dropped like a rock.

Now; here I am some 30 years later with more of a interest in (LISTENING) than talking.

I think one learns more by listennig.

73's

Pete

There's been quite a bit of work in the last few years with weak-signal digital modes, software defined radio, and merging internet and radio functions.  Experimenting is not dead yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: