Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using MFJ-9440x 40 meter as mobile unit  (Read 5051 times)
WD8CTL

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »

Has anyone tried using the 40 meter MFJ 10 watt radio as a mobile unit. I'm mostly concerned about noise from car computer. I know 10 watts is not much but I thought I could listen to the nets on 40 while driving. ThANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 10:23:36 PM »

I`m sure as a receiver it may be fine. With the inefficiency of mobile antennas on hf,especially on 40m,10 watts would be QRPp! Even 100 watts would be qrp on the lower bands.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 07:48:18 AM »

I think what you are asking is "is the MFJ-9440X noise blanker as effective as other radios?" Are any noise blankers effective with automobile computer noise?

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:35:49 AM »

I thought I could listen to the nets on 40 while driving.

This is more about the antenna and installation than the rig.  You would need to mitigate the noise no matter what radio you chose to use.   In my experience an effective noise reduction feature in a high noise environment does reduce the audible noise but also reduces effective sensitivity.  That makes the system less effective on receive overall.

You might get lucky and a hamstick on a mag mount with the rig jacked into the cigarette lighter works to all your expectations.  You could start there but be prepared to do the "due diligence" with regards to an efficient and problem free installation if it doesn't work as you hoped.  That means bonding panels, driveline, exhaust, well placed and grounded antenna mounts, good antenna, proper power connections and so on. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: