Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shelby 2013 Hamfest  (Read 16151 times)
WA4TIJ

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2013, 05:45:46 AM »

I've been going to this hamfest since 1971.  I also followed the fest to Dallas which was a very nice site, but limited indoor facilities.

So, it's back at the fairgrounds.  There was only one dealer (in the air conditioned building) and the other building (including the barn) was mostly empty.

The flea market was good, but there were quite a few empty spaces.

One dealer told me the spaces were much more expensive than the spaces at the Dallas site.

There was plenty of available parking at the CCC campus across from the hamfest.

By 1300 on Saturday, the crowd was thinning (including myself).  It would be interesting to see how many folks were there on Sunday.

Hopefully, the hamfest will improve with time, but for me, it's hard to justify the 200 mile drive.

Robert
WA4TIJ
KD1I

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:05:01 PM »

This was my first time at Shelby in the new (OLD) location. I was not disappointed but not sure why they call this the grandaddy.  Lawrenceville in Georgia and Hamburg NY are also very nice affairs.   I did not buy very much but just talking to people my age and experience level was good enough to justify gong. LOTS of friendly folks would just start a conversation and I especially like that. I live just north of Atlanta Ga. so it was a bit of a drive. The Wireman was there of course, and I managed to get a good price on LMR-400 for a new project. Some of the smaller dealers selling this and that were interesting. The bone yard was varied.  I also collect antique BC radios and there were a few. Prices seem high. Everyone wants top dollar for their junk..... I mean 'collectables'. HI HI.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 06:45:07 AM »

KD1T, it got the nickname granddaddy years ago because of the huge flea-market area it had years ago.  It has dwindled and like other hamfests, it is the victim of internet purchasing.  It was my first hamfest in 1979, I've been back twice I think, but never again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: