Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-480 vs Icom IC-7000  (Read 28107 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2013, 08:24:14 PM »

I ended up purchasing a W2IHY 2 band equalizer and from then on everyone raved about the fantastic audio it had. But this after spending an additional $170 plus the connecting cable plus shipping.

Why did you buy an overpriced W2IHY equaliser when even Bob Heil uses a $50 Behringer Xenyx 802 with an Icom 7000? Hell even Bob's main shack equaliser, an 8 channel Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2 FX is only $120. Bob even does a video on HamNation showing you how to connect it to the Icom 7000 using the 13 pin mini Din Icom supply with the radio.

You ended up paying $170 because you wanted to, not because you had to.

And why did you put a fan on the top? Given you didn't even get first degree burns, whilst hot to touch it wasn't hot to the point of causing damage. I have a 10MHz Rubidium Frequency Reference. The case of it reaches 120F far far hotter than the Icom 7000 does. You would put a fan on that because it is hot to the touch then wonder why the lock light never came on or took an hour to do so if it eventually did....

Who the hell is asking for you stupid opinion....MORON!

All I know is I've had four (4) ICOM 7000's over the years and never had too out a fan on it, or in most cases didn't bother with an EQ. Although I have experimented with EQ's and found ways too make the 7000 sounds awesome on FM and SSB.

In the end my ICOM SM8 mic was the last I used on it and everyone loved it once I dialed in in right. Even my Heil IC element or HC4 element with the right TBW SETTING was a rave.

Previous guy didn't have too come out so sarcastic, but I kinda see what he was getting at. Didn't really need the EQ, but getting it was, ahh.
M6YDB

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2013, 06:05:33 AM »

I agree re: second hand.

I am a new ticket holder (foundation class, UK license for 3 weeks or so) and I struck a great deal with a fellow club member for a Kenwood TS 430S, mic, speaker, ATU etc all for around the equivalent of $350.

Yes its an old rig but its great to learn on and IMHO actually benefits from not having the audio and everything else compressed and DSP'd to within an inch of its life.  I get great reports all over Europe on her and Rx is very good.

Actually having real buttons and dials instead of menus is great for learning on because it gives me a proper understanding of what is doing what.

For a starter rig what more do you want really - no need to spend a fortune at this stage.

I am going to post separately my whole shack to date and trust me for what you are planning to pay on one rig I have got a desk full of great stuff...
W3ZZT

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »

Since you are going to purchase a KX3 anyway, why don't you consider just buying it instead of the other two and use it as your base and portable? The money that you save could be used to buy an amplifier for the KX3 and a 2 meter option will be available for it soon. I have both a TS-480SAT and a KX3. I love the 480 and think it's a great unit, but I'm having so much fun using the KX3 that I find myself using it in my shack much more than the 480. I'm finding operating QRP is a lot of fun. The KX3 is very easy to learn, plus you have the fantastic Elecraft customer support. Just wanted to throw that idea out there.

73's!
KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2013, 05:42:55 PM »

Since you are going to purchase a KX3 anyway, why don't you consider just buying it instead of the other two and use it as your base and portable? The money that you save could be used to buy an amplifier for the KX3 and a 2 meter option will be available for it soon. I have both a TS-480SAT and a KX3. I love the 480 and think it's a great unit, but I'm having so much fun using the KX3 that I find myself using it in my shack much more than the 480. I'm finding operating QRP is a lot of fun. The KX3 is very easy to learn, plus you have the fantastic Elecraft customer support. Just wanted to throw that idea out there.

73's!

W3ZZT,

I did that very thing, just today!  Being brand new, I was trying to take some advice around here, but most people were steering me away from the KX3 for one reason or another.  In the end, it makes much more sense for me, since I need a rig I can use for a base, and for field.  I'm also interested in data modes too, and SDR control too. I ordered my KX3 kit today.  Next I need to figure out an antenna for home that will work with my restrictions.

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
W3ZZT

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2013, 04:33:00 AM »

Congratulations; you won't be disappointed! I suggest that you go to lulu.com and order the KX3 book by Fred Cady; it's an excellent resource to have. 
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: