Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alinco DR-135 with EJ-41U TNC and Garmin nuvi 350/FMI cable  (Read 18038 times)
KA5TRO

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2013, 12:51:46 AM »

Looking for feedback from anyone who has used the DR-135 radio with the Alinco TNC with the Garmin nuvi 350/FMI-15 cable as a mobile setup.  I am not interested in digipeating, only tracking and reporting while mobile.  I know this can be done with the Argent T2-135 or T3-135, but I don't see why it couldn't also be done with the Alinco TNC.  I will buy the Argent if I have to, but I already have the Alinco TNC in my -135, and use a modified DeLorme Tripmate as the GPS receiver plugged in to the data port.  This setup works well for reporting, of course, but I would like to add tracking and display of other APRS stations while mobile.  I have the nuvi 350, but I don't have the FMI cable yet.

Thx es 73 de KA5TRO
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 02:11:21 AM »

The trouble you have is that you need a method to interface the GPS data stream into packet data.  The TNC inside the radio takes data via the DB9 plug on the back and modulates it to RF.  This is usually supplied by an external computer via a terminal program.  The TNC is very simple and cannot translate the GPS data into packets without external help.   

In short, you can't plug GPS data into this radio and have it act like a transponder.

Jeremy N1ZZZ
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 08:46:09 PM »

The Nuvi 350 uses Garmin FMI protocol, you need NMEA for a regular TNC.
The argent t2 or t3  will do the translation for you.
Cool thing with the Argent tnc,FMI cable and the Nuvi 350 is message send and RX capability.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: