Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Echolink, hooking up mic to PC for this use...  (Read 8264 times)
W7HBP

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2013, 03:24:18 PM »

...I have never used echo link, but wanting to explore new modes. I have the software downloaded and been verified. I did a test and was able to bring up a local repeater. But now I need to find a way to TX with audio as I have no microphone. I do have audio speakers. I do have a Heil Pro Set IC headphones with built in boom mic. Can this just plug into my PC? Where?

I know the Rig Blaster is for radio to PC or PC to radio for digital modes and if that unit would solve my issue, I would have no objections to getting that, especially if it will expand my operating  modes, ie digital modes on 30 meters etc, but would it solve my mic to PC microphone issue that I have now?

I did a search and didn't find anything. Lots of FAQ's, but none answered my question. I am green in this area, and I know there is plenty in here who have been using this mode and this is probably a simple solution.

Thanks for any help on this.

Rick, W7HBP

ARRL Life Member|QRZ Life Member
N4NLQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 04:04:29 PM »

Hi Rick. 

Just slip on down to Walmart and get yourself a computer headset.  They can be had for as little as $10 or go whole hog and get a good one for $20.  The headset will have two 3 circuit audio plugs usually marked "MIC" and "SPKR" or will have icons of a mic and headhones on the plugs.  They may also be color coded.  Find the audio connector panel on your computer and match the colors or plug the "MIC" into the mic input and the other one into the headphone jack.

Then go into Echolink and select your particular mic/speaker configuration in the drop down dialog box under "Tools, Setup, Audio."  Connect to the test server in the dialog box under "Station" to hear how you sound and adjust your levels.

We have a roundtable on EL every weekday at 1000 hrs Eastern time, perhaps a bit early for you but you're welcome to join us.  Connect to W1PI.

Allan - N4NLQ
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 06:26:14 PM »

Thanks Alan, I will take you up on that offer and drop by some time. I did get a mic, but its more like a karaoke type. I will invest into this headset mic from Wal Mart like you mentioned. I haven't used my echolink much, but its installed and seems to be fully functional. Just still taking baby steps for right now. Cheesy

Rick, W7HBP

W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 10:06:39 AM »

Works great, will upgrade later on my mic, but up and running now. Thanks for everyone's help, echolink is a blast.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: