Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CB Radio Conversions  (Read 3329 times)
WD4MTW

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2013, 09:34:16 PM »

Last year, I came into the posession of a commercial Kenwood TK-6110 in the low split that I understand doesn't easily convert to 10/6M like the high split model. No big deal, I paid almost nothing for a brand new radio and programmed it on 6 freqs. I've had some commercial 35mc ringos in the garage since the 80's, so I put one up and have had some fun with it. I set it in one of those power supply/base enclosures by Samlex, so it looks near identical to the Maxtrac/Astron station we use for GMRS and the XYL seems ok with it.

While I haven't checked out much on 10 SSB, some of the amateurs I've spoken with are using either modded or export or so called "amateur" multimode type CB's on 10. The price on some of these is absurd even used last I looked and I'm not even sure they're even legal anymore to import. I'd rather homebrew something inexpensive from an old set with upper side only that I can actually get into and repair if needed. Is there any specific units or chassis to look out for that there has been plenty of documented modifications for 10M and not CB ? I don't plan on any FM or splits as the Kenwood is perfect for that.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 05:50:18 AM »

The problem with the exports are numerous. One, they almost all drift. Especially that Galaxy/Ranger crap/. They are channelized with no VFO. They have no filtering or NR capabilities. Essentially, that are CB radios that can get on the ham bands, and nothing more. They are marketed as 10 meter radios for the purpose of circumventing the FCC restrictions.

Personally, I would save up and get a real ham radio. 10M is great, but not always open. 15M and 17M are great.
WD4MTW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 07:07:46 AM »

I have no interest in any of these super cb freeband specials or their power, I just mentioned it because I've made several contacts on FM with folks using them mobile along with 35 y/o Azdens and other converted commercial low band transcivers like mine. Any fool purchasing one of those already has enough to buy a used hf rig something like an Icom 718 or TS-50/60. I don't need another HF radio, just a companion to the little Kenwood  commercial on a band opening.

The XYL is cool with this setup next to the house GMRS transceiver in her home office. I was simply thinking of getting a low profile, old, early 40 PLL CB mobile that had easy access to the programmable divider. Some of the early generation had versatile first gen PLL's and moving it up would be two rocks unless I want LSB which would be a waste of money. With old units selling for $25-$40, it would be worthwile using the same antenna and XYL friendly. I know very little about the 40 channel CB's and the radios best to convert. I'm trying to find out what older ssb mobiles made good candidates for upbanding. I'm sure there's plenty of amateurs here that have some experience with doing this and hoping to draw on their knowledge and get it right the first time. Most all the mods on the net are CB/Freeband in nature. I'm only interested in moving the radio up to the 10M sideband allocations and what if any formal bandplan exists for conversions.
KB2VUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 08:41:27 PM »

Well, I know it isn't the price point you wanted, but this will accomplish both
of your goals in one unit...(just an idea).

http://www.eham.net/classifieds/detail/417325
WD4MTW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 10:43:44 PM »

I figure a good working unit off ebay with known potential is going to run $25-$45, figure in postage, switches, rocks, maybe a few parts,  and most likely having to undo whatever has been done and scrounging a mike and power cord before is a figure around $100.

WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 10:56:06 PM »

If you want a 10m only multimode rig, the old Radio Shack HTX10 is a good one....a little weird in tuning but it works (they become popular as IF rigs for higher bands transverters)...should be able to find a used one for $50-75 or so...the older Uniden HR2600 was a good 10m only rig too but they are rare to find these days...The 6110 can be put on 6 or 10 depending on the split of the 6110 (Low or high split)....of course for 6m, there are a lot of older used rigs that work great multimode...like the FT690RMKII....or the FT-680 (the 690 does 20-25w with the optional amp, the 680 is only a 10watt rig but has a cooler looking front panel)...you COULD get a CB SSB rig and convert it yourself...did that in the late 70s with a plain SSB CB...did about 12w or so PEP out..modified it for 10m by changing one xtal and worked all over the place on it mobile..Wish they made a 15,12,10 and 6 multimode rig...those bands are great for mobile use....maybe add 17m in the mix...but then you start looking at the HF-UHF rigs like the IC706 or FT857 and you get a lot more for the right price.....Only problem with the jap rigs...the NB's never work on FM mode (and sometimes not on the AM mode)...I prefer Midland LMRs on FM (yet trying to find a 10m FM Midland is RARE!!! 6 and higher bands except 220 are covered by the MidlandLMR series..220 is primarily FM band...there are some SSB guys there but % wise, FM is the dominant mode...Good luck..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: