Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tm-d710  (Read 17606 times)
AE7IS

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:25:45 AM »

I need some help.  I was able to pick up this unit at a very good price, or so I thought.  I hooked it up just like the book said, no real problems, till I turned it on.  It replaced a ft-1900 for reference.   The 1900 was crisp and clear, easily hitting the local repeaters and clear reception.  The 710 on the other hand, is noisy and , well , just doesn't sound as good.  I've went over the istalation many times, tried changing things in the menu, and just cant seem to make any improvement.  To be specific, when I turn the squelch up to eliminate the background noise, I lose the station entirely.  And because I cant get rid of the hiss, I cant scan.  I took the hand-held out with me tonight for the local net, and on the 5 watt hand held the net came in clear while on the 710 it was buried in the noise.  Oh, and same antennas,  Any ideas?
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 02:38:17 PM »

Return it and get your money back. You probably found out WHY it was such a good price.

Until your last mentioned symptom, I was thinking the unit just needed a full reset - which
may be something to try anyway. I believe (check your manuals to be sure) that you
push and hold down the F key while turning the unit ON. Then select FULL RESET, then press
the TUNE knob.

But I may be wrong ...

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 01:12:31 PM »

I always do a full reset on *any* used radio I buy.

I don't care what the previous owner had stored in it, and I've seen some of the newer radios get totally messed up by owner's who didn't RTFM, and just start pushing buttons, or changing menu items without understanding what they were doing.

To do a full reset on the TM-D710:
Turn the transceiver off.
Hold the "Function" key down while turning the radio on.
Rotate the Main Tuning knob until "FULL RESET" appears.
Press the Main Tuning knob.

Jim
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »

CB>> ... push and hold down the F key while turning the unit ON.
CB>> ... Then select FULL RESET
CB>> ... then press the TUNE knob.

JIM>> ... Hold the "Function" key down while turning the radio on.
JIM>> ... Rotate the Main Tuning knob until "FULL RESET" appears.
JIM>> ... Press the Main Tuning knob.

Deja vu!

Haven't talked to you in a while, Jim. Did you attend the ARRL SW Division convention last weekend?

Clint

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 04:02:21 PM »

DUH!

Didn't know they had one.

Where was it held?

We were busy running around getting a new car for my wife all weekend, who was in a 4 car pile up last Tuesday, and her car got totaled.

She's OK, but her poor little Sentra, which was worth about $6500, sustained $8300 worth of damage!
AE7IS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 10:09:29 PM »

I did the full reset...twice, just to be sure.  after  reading a bit think it may be a problem with the filters and how the were used.  If any one has something else to try??  I do appreciate the imput, thank you.
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »

The D700 had a definite problem with the I.F. filters degrading/failing. I *think* it had to do with DC current passing through them.

I thought the D710 had the problem fixed, but perhaps not.

Jim
KB2VUQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 10:35:07 PM »

Well, since you said you would appreciate any input...

Keeping things simple (without replacing parts), I have just a few questions.

Are you running both sides of the radio on the same band V/V, U/U or
the "normal" V/U? Try V/U and see if it clears up the receive.

Is the receiver possibly on a.m. receive?

If on f.m. have you selected Wide or Narrow?

AE7IS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 08:56:46 PM »

I checked with kenwood just to see...and to my surprise they said that they would replace the filters  for free.  Way to go kenwood, it does help restore my faith a bit.  thanks for the imput all.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 09:13:14 AM »

Kenwood and some of the other manufacturers used Toko filters.  Some of the Toko filters had a problem with tin whiskers and that is why Kenwood is replacing them for free.  The problem showed up in the TS 2000 also and Kenwood is replacing them for free too for a certain serial number runs.  It seems the Toko filters that went bad were made during the tsunami that hit Indonesia some years ago, so I've been told.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: